An Old School Catholic Message Board

Whatever happened to rhetoric?

Era Might

I'm watching the president speaking about the anniversary of Katrina and he's his usual boring self. Whatever happened to rhetoric? Even just going back to the 60s politicians could still give a real speech. It's not about party or ideology, rhetoric has disappeared...I don't mean demagoguery or populist rabble rousing, but real speeches that create an atmosphere of actually saying something important. I don't know if it's the nature of media today or what, news is 24/7 now and the 4th wall is broken, but speeches today are like corporate board meetings. I'm not calling for a rejuvenation of propaganda but the days of rhetoric as an art are gone...

It doesn't take much to convince people of the positions they already hold. Look at the opposition to the Iran deal. It's virtually fact-free. Iran scary. Iran not Merica. Iran dress funny. Iran not fellate Israel.

It's not that rhetoric can't be achieved, it's that the population has gotten more dumber.

Edited by dUSt

I'm watching the president speaking about the anniversary of Katrina and he's his usual boring self. Whatever happened to rhetoric? Even just going back to the 60s politicians could still give a real speech. It's not about party or ideology, rhetoric has disappeared...I don't mean demagoguery or populist rabble rousing, but real speeches that create an atmosphere of actually saying something important. I don't know if it's the nature of media today or what, news is 24/7 now and the 4th wall is broken, but speeches today are like corporate board meetings. I'm not calling for a rejuvenation of propaganda but the days of rhetoric as an art are gone...

I think it's hard to make moving speeches when you're trying your guts out not to say anything that might turn people off of voting for your party. To be inspiring, you have to have principles and believe in things. We don't agree on anything anymore, so what can you say without offending someone? Nothing.

So that's what they say.

Yes, Everyone has become so darn PC and they're afraid to say anything without offending someone. Oh please. We need to put our big boy/girl pantaloons on and get over it. I think you have to know how to communicate, not just talk for the sake of talking.... Or ummming your audience to death searching for words because you didn't have a Teleprompter. 

Rhetoric is an art. I think that the culture at large has lost a sense of beauty and art. I think that as dUSt has pointed out, the population in general has gotten dumber and no longer has the power for critical thinking, necessary for understanding and appreciating what is true, good, and beautiful.

Yes, Everyone has become so darn PC and they're afraid to say anything without offending someone. Oh please. We need to put our big boy/girl pantaloons on and get over it. I think you have to know how to communicate, not just talk for the sake of talking.... Or ummming your audience to death searching for words because you didn't have a Teleprompter. 

Is this what you're referring to?

Rhetoric is an art. I think that the culture at large has lost a sense of beauty and art. I think that as dUSt has pointed out, the population in general has gotten dumber and no longer has the power for critical thinking, necessary for understanding and appreciating what is true, good, and beautiful.

This.

It's part of a long  decline in civilization and literacy.

For instance, it used to be that everyone was familiar with the Bible (KJV if you're Protestant, Douay-Rheims if Catholic), and all educated persons were familiar with the works of Shakespeare, Milton, Cicero, etc.

Now most people just watch mindless tv and read idiotic "memes" on facebook.

Not long ago, it was only a tiny percentage of the elite who could even read.

Nowadays in a first world country, almost everyone is literate and they're literate in different things. There are still those who are very familiar with the Bible or the Qur'an etc, it's just that they're not the only ones around anymore who can read and with a monopoly on education.

Not long ago, it was only a tiny percentage of the elite who could even read.

Nowadays in a first world country, almost everyone is literate and they're literate in different things. There are still those who are very familiar with the Bible or the Qur'an etc, it's just that they're not the only ones around anymore who can read and with a monopoly on education.

I meant "literacy" more in the broader sense of being tied to a rich literary and cultural tradition, rather than simply "knowing how to read."  "Literacy" actually wasn't quite the word I was looking for, but I couldn't find the right word.

And it wasn't really all that long ago when most people in our country (even unbelievers) knew the Bible and such as part of our shared cultural heritage.  We've lost a lot of that now.  And even people who couldn't read for the most part heard the Bible read aloud on a regular basis, and maybe even memorized many of its passages.  There was a much richer shared oral tradition.

And perhaps many fewer people could read and write in the days of Shakespeare, but could anyone today come close to his literary achievement or richness of language?  Now, even many educated people talk largely in grunted obscenities.

So it's not surprising that the art of rhetoric is largely lost.

Nihil Obstat

And perhaps many fewer people could read and write in the days of Shakespeare, but could anyone today come close to his literary achievement or richness of language?  Now, even many educated people talk largely in grunted obscenities.

I think, arguably, someone like Quentin Tarantino is our generation's Shakespeare, if you look at what Shakespeare was writing, who he was writing for, etc. :hehe: