An Old School Catholic Message Board

Meeting with the Bishop And Oh No I've Grown

PhuturePriest

Not in height, of course. I'm still the same 5'6" hobbit I was upon arrival.

So, it's been a while. I may as well give you an update on my life, because I know you've been dying for it. Now, I could tell you a series of events I've experienced, but that is boring. A much more important thing to speak about is my personal growth and my massive change of opinions, which is far more interesting.

Coming here has really made me recognize where I stand on things, and therefore reveal to me bits of my personality. Obviously I can't reveal everything here because I represent an apostolate, but suffice it to say that I don't quite agree with everything that goes on here, as opposed to several months ago when I agreed with everything. Being here has really made me understand what people have been telling me for a long time.

In other words, I think an attitude of gentle charity is what's generally most conducive to evangelization. I never quite understood that until I got here. I don't know if any of you are aware of this, but even until quite recently, I had the tendency to be an insufferable snot rag who beat people over the head with a catechism. I did so with the best of intentions, of course, but I've now realized why that doesn't work, and I've discovered a much more holy approach to evangelizing others, and one which is spiritually uplifting to myself and others rather than spiritually toxic.

Furthermore, coming here has helped me to separate people from their opinions, and to like and treat people well despite what they think/believe/act like. So yes, there are disagreements between me and others here, but I still respect them and recognize that they are good people simply trying to do the best that they can.

As for meeting with the bishop, I am having a meeting with the bishop of my home diocese in four weeks (October 23), wherein we will discuss my seminary application stuff and he will get a sense if he likes me or not.

So yeah, that's a thing. Hopefully it goes well.

When I was in college I went through a very insufferable "SuperCatholic" phase, myself. So you're not alone there. 

My continued prayers are with you as you discuss your seminary application.

Really?  You?  Insufferable?  I can't immagine why you'd think that ;)

Good on you.  Growing up seems to be the general direction most people go.

Archaeology cat

Praying your meeting with the Bishop goes well, and thanks for the update! I think most of us have gone through insufferable phases. ;) 

Praying your meeting with the Bishop goes well, and thanks for the update! I think most of us have gone through insufferable phases. ;) 

Thanks! I am hopeful that I will do well. My speech therapy has been working wonders, and I am to where if I so choose, by using everything I've been taught I can speak perfectly no matter what situation I'm in, so as long as I keep practicing and try to master my speaking, I should speak really well and the battle will simply be getting him to like me.

The reason I wasn't accepted into seminary this year is because of my stammer, for the record. I don't think I ever publicly said that on Phatmass.

Thanks! I am hopeful that I will do well. My speech therapy has been working wonders, and I am to where if I so choose, by using everything I've been taught I can speak perfectly no matter what situation I'm in, so as long as I keep practicing and try to master my speaking, I should speak really well and the battle will simply be getting him to like me.

The reason I wasn't accepted into seminary this year is because of my stammer, for the record. I don't think I ever publicly said that on Phatmass.

I didn't know you have a stammer. Moses stuttered, you know. And look how things turned out for him. ;) 

I didn't know you have a stammer. Moses stuttered, you know. And look how things turned out for him. ;) 

Disobeying God and then cursed to die before entering the Promised Land?

Don't try too hard to make the bishop LIKE you. I'm so sick of playing Who Likes Whom. We're not in sixth grade any more.

LIKE has nothing to do with whether or not you have a vocation to the priesthood. And any bishop worth his salt will know that. Besides that, bishops come and bishops go; they will LIKE you if you are a good priest who does the Lord's work well.  

Present yourself as a committed Catholic (which you are), intelligent enough to get through an M. Div. (which you are), who is growing in maturity (which you are). 

Who likes whom will fall into place later. 

Edited by Luigi

Don't try too hard to make the bishop LIKE you. I'm so sick of playing Who Likes Whom. We're not in sixth grade any more.

LIKE has nothing to do with whether or not you have a vocation to the priesthood. And any bishop worth his salt will know that. Besides that, bishops come and bishops go; they will LIKE you if you are a good priest who does the Lord's work well.  

Present yourself as a committed Catholic (which you are), intelligent enough to get through an M. Div. (which you are), who is growing in maturity (which you are). 

Who likes whom will fall into place later. 

That's kind of what I meant. Obviously it would be cool if the Bishop and I got along great, but ultimately I just have to keep a cool head and come across as the things you pointed out. 

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

yeah stay gentle and meek brother in christ, speak the truth to the extent of your knowledge and understanding of what that is, in all humility knowing full well there are greater and lesser and compared to the LORD we know very little and deliver it without a hint hypocrisy. The Greek derivitive of the word hypocrite is 'actor.' Do nothing for the crowd family or friend, do it all for the glory of the LORD and the salvation of souls. They may clap they may not, it matters naught what people think compared to what Jesus thinks of you. 

Your doing well bro. 

GodblesS.

Onward christian soul.

Jesus iz LORD!

Edited by Tab'le De'Bah-Rye