An Old School Catholic Message Board

Meeting with the Bishop And Oh No I've Grown

PhuturePriest

I didn't know you have a stammer. Moses stuttered, you know. And look how things turned out for him. ;) 

I knew of a lubavitch (hassid who follow the Rebbe Menachem Mendel Schneerson) who had a stammer. His name was Moses. 

I think every young catholic who spend a little time on the internet have this kind of phase. Have you ever read St Francis of Sales ? He writed some good things about how you evangelize better with honey than with vinegar.

Anyway, praying for your meeting with the bishop :)  

Basilisa Marie

Disobeying God and then cursed to die before entering the Promised Land?

I nearly spat out my toast while reading this.

Teach me to ever read phatmass over breakfast. 

Not in height, of course. I'm still the same 5'6" hobbit I was upon arrival.

So, it's been a while. I may as well give you an update on my life, because I know you've been dying for it. Now, I could tell you a series of events I've experienced, but that is boring. A much more important thing to speak about is my personal growth and my massive change of opinions, which is far more interesting.

imo you were not an insufferable snot rag before you left for Vorisland. You had your moments earlier in your phatmass career, but my sense is that by the time you left on your adventure you were already well within 1 standard deviation of what passes for charity on Phatmass.

Maybe your experience has helped you internalize all that more ... growth is great, just saying.

imo you were not an insufferable snot rag before you left for Vorisland. You had your moments earlier in your phatmass career, but my sense is that by the time you left on your adventure you were already well within 1 standard deviation of what passes for charity on Phatmass.

Maybe your experience has helped you internalize all that more ... growth is great, just saying.

I agree.

We used to refer to him (in loving sarcasm) as The Phetus. I think we should refer to him now (in loving sarcasm) as The Standard Deviant.

True, I had certainly entered the stage of being more charitable and realizing you do in fact catch more flies with honey than vinegar, but I hadn't realized it and cemented it in an ideological and spiritual sense yet. I still believed in an aggressive and forthright approach to evangelization, which can be seen by posts from four months ago. Coming here has really given me a life experience that forced me to think about it and figure out where I stand on the issue.

Coming here has also (ironically enough) made me decidedly less extreme on the right, and more willing to listen to people. For instance, I very much like Cardinal John Dew, and I appreciate what he is saying and the point he's trying to make, and I can see some validity to it. Obviously I disagree with him on some major points, but I can still appreciate him and love him as a cardinal and as a person despite those disagreements. I learned that in a very real way as a direct result of coming here, even though that hasn't been something taught or openly displayed here. The general atmosphere here is that if a prelate disagrees on something we deem really important, then you shouldn't listen to him. 

Perhaps most ironically is that coming here has given me a great appreciation for people such as Cardinal Wuerl, Father Jonathan Morris, Mark Shea, and even Cardinal Dolan. Again, I may disagree with them on some stuff, but I still have a great love and appreciation for them, their intentions, their points of view, and all the good that they've done. 

Edited by PhuturePriest

I know what that epiphany feels like FP, more power to you! Im happy for you and your new found sense of self! And its ok to be a hybrid of left and right wing leaning sensibilities. No one says you gotta be one or the other. Embrace your love of both and dont let either dictate how you are to think or feel.

Edited by CrossCuT

I know what that epiphany feels like FP, more power to you! Im happy for you and your new found sense of self! And its ok to be a hybrid of left and right wing leaning sensibilities. No one says you gotta be one or the other. Embrace your love of both and dont let either dictate how you are to think or feel.

I'm most certainly orthodox on Church issues. I'm just willing to listen to others and understand where they're coming from. From a theological point of view, in no way whatsoever can we allow communion for people who are living in states of mortal sin (i.e., living and having sex with people other than their true sacramental spouse), but I do understand where people like Cardinal John Dew are coming from.

Edited by PhuturePriest

Basilisa Marie

I'm most certainly orthodox on Church issues. I'm just willing to listen to others and understand where they're coming from. From a theological point of view, in no way whatsoever can we allow communion for people who are living in states of mortal sin (i.e., living and having sex with people other than their true sacramental spouse), but I do understand where people like Cardinal John Dew are coming from.

Not to totally divert your thread, but after going to tribunal training I got a really renewed understanding of why the Church's teaching on communion in regard to people who are either divorced and remarried or living in invalid marriage is so serious. At the same time you can't not have sympathy for these people who are stuck, even if a case is processing. The seriousness of their situation needs to inspire more love, not dismissive contempt.