An Old School Catholic Message Board

Syrian Refugee Opinion Poll

PhuturePriest

Refugee Opinion Poll  

22 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm all for letting Syrian refugees in.  But we are in desperate need to fix the lives of those on visas, immigrants and those who have overstayed or come without documentation.

I live with 30 miles of one of the worst highschools in the country.  Over 75% of the children in the school are undocumented or children of immigrants without documentation.  Most of them fled unspeakable violence.  One highschool girl had 4 older sisters.  One by one around the age of 12 they were kidnapped and are likely part of the sex trafficking trade.  They had a decent life where they lived but they got a visa and have overstayed by many years making them undocumented.   After sister #3 was gone for a year the mother took her two remaining daughters ages 10 and 6 to America.  The 10yo died to a chronic illness (I believe asthma) on the journey. They live in fear.  The girl was celebrating her quincenera, something that caused her mother great joy and pain as she was the only daughter to reach that milestone.

I also know of immigrants from Indonesia who watched family being tortured for being Christian.  They were legal refugees yet it took them over 10 years to be able to know for sure they wouldn't be sent back.  It's sickening.  The mother (previously a prestigious lawyer) worked insanely hard at low wage factory jobs and the daughter was a straight A student, learning near perfect English in only 6 months.  They often barley got by and lived in a studio apartment, shared a bed, and it cost them $700 a month....and that wasn't even in a big city.

And there are many here on ever-extended HB1 visas who are pretty much an abused part of the tech workforce.  A young man I know married outside his cast in India and was supposed to be sentenced to death.  He got into America on an HB1.  He's been here for 15 years, has barley had a holiday or vacation, regularly works 70+ hours for pay below his American co-workers who do around 40 hours because he has no other choice.  His green card has been in process for 5 years, even with documentation of the death threats.

So while I am not against Syrians, we need to work out our refugee problems here before we invite more people over.  The promised full time $9-11 per hour jobs with 2-bedroom apt's at $950 don't exist for many Americans, never-mind for those who don't speak English.

And despite his promises their has been net negative migration in the US.  Many central Americans have raised their kids here and decided to return.  Their children are safe and they miss home.  There are other reasons with jobs drying up from both Americans willing to do things, overseas trade and automation.  But as one speaker on NPR commented despite Obama's promises and a mostly willing house and congress passing more laws in favor of immigration than ever, there's hardly been a worse time to be an migrant in America, documented or not.  With things being akin to "Irish need not apply" for Spanish, Moslem and in some regions Indian and Asian.

1 hour ago, KnightofChrist said:

Yes, it's common to compare those that willfully pay for or fund the murder of others to those that actually murder others. 

I don't know what the actual data is on our "good chances" but Government has show it's utter incompetence many times, over many years, over many issues. So I don't really trust our chances to them. I know it's been repeated many times but this is the same Government that said ISIS was a JV team, that ISIS was contained just hours before the attack in Paris (for those that don't like those two examples there are plenty of other incompetent nonsense by Government) and now that Government pinky promises that they are rigorously vetting the refugees and that there's no need to be concerned.  Which may be true, I just don't trust that it is true.

Going through the lengthy and difficult process would in my opinion be a cunning move on part of ISIS or like minded groups. If they made it through the refugee process rather than for example the visa process there would be less suspicion and more protections for them from both the public and the Government. After all no one but those nasties on the right would dare question them.

Anyway, for me it all comes down to trust. I do not trust the United States Federal Government, I am not reassured by their words, I do not trust their words. 

It's fine, I ignore it like I ignore ads or commercials. No  big deal.

My point is that sending aid is quite different from carrying out an attack. You might be a sympathizer (like those who supported the IRA in the US, although the IRA was in the right, unlike ISIS) who goes through the process, but it makes no sense to have soldiers tied up for 2-3 years. A cunning move that costs you a soldier for 2 to 3 years without any assurance of his destination really doesn't seem cunning.

Whether one trusts the government or not is beside the point. The numbers show that refugees aren't a serious risk. You don't have to stop at soundbites, on this subject. The GOP line is designed to play on fear, and the fear is disproportionate to the actual danger. It's much like the rhetoric used by the gun control supporters.

KnightofChrist
13 hours ago, Winchester said:

My point is that sending aid is quite different from carrying out an attack. You might be a sympathizer (like those who supported the IRA in the US, although the IRA was in the right, unlike ISIS) who goes through the process, but it makes no sense to have soldiers tied up for 2-3 years. A cunning move that costs you a soldier for 2 to 3 years without any assurance of his destination really doesn't seem cunning.

I looked it up to apply for refugee status in the U.S. or to get the process in motion they only need to talk to someone at UNHCR. It's my understanding that most of the refugee camps are run by the UNHCR. So again I remain unconvinced that it's as hard as you are lead to believe. Also, I'm not just concerned about America but other western nations, most of the refugees are sent to western nations. Most targets of ISIS are western nations.

Whether one trusts the government or not is beside the point. The numbers show that refugees aren't a serious risk. You don't have to stop at soundbites, on this subject.

I'm not stopping at soundbites on this subject, nor am I really starting with them. I just don't trust the State when it tells us "trust us citizen everything is fine." They release the numbers so I don't trust the numbers. The numbers may be correct, or they maybe like the unemployment numbers which are manipulated to favor Government. There are many so-called Globalists in many western governments who are financially and ideologically invested in 'open boarders' policies. It's not surprising that they would want to protect their interest.

The GOP line is designed to play on fear, and the fear is disproportionate to the actual danger. It's much like the rhetoric used by the gun control supporters.

That sounds a lot like a DNC sound bite, but it doesn't really hold up to reality because the GOP is widely split on the issue. Even those in the GOP who are against more intake of refugees are split in how they handle the issue. Sure some like politicians on all sides will use fear to gain power.

Anyway, I'm in favor of taking in refugees so long as they can be vetted and security concerns are met. I also think Christians and other highly persecuted people should be put at the front of the line.

I'm for taking in Syrian immigrants as long as we attempt to screen them.  Heck, who saw the Boston Bomber Brother's potential or Tim McVeigh's potential prior to their acts of Terrorism?

Overzealous political correctness trying not to offend anyone is the other-side of the xenophobic coin.  Come on over to USA and buy your generic red coffee cup from Starbucks or grab a Chik Fillet sandwich. It's all good in our 'hood. 

Really, more people would rather live here or like it's here than would rather see us destroyed.  The biggest US detractors are usually the ingrates eho were born here.   Fresh appreciation is a good thing. 

Edited by Anomaly

Terrorism and violence is just a reality we have to contend with. Even if we turn away all refugees, that will not prevent murder or terror here , but it will definitely perpetuate it if we send needy desperate people back into warzones or refugee camps.

On 25/11/2015, 18:12:03, KnightofChrist said:

I looked it up to apply for refugee status in the U.S. or to get the process in motion they only need to talk to someone at UNHCR. It's my understanding that most of the refugee camps are run by the UNHCR. So again I remain unconvinced that it's as hard as you are lead to believe. Also, I'm not just concerned about America but other western nations, most of the refugees are sent to western nations. Most targets of ISIS are western nations.

How ignorant can you be. Do you know nothing (do you even care) about the people that daesh have murdered in the middle east. 

I disagree with all the poll options. People should be assessed on need, sincerity and on their merits as an individual or family. Would  Jesus have made it into the US? He was from the middle east afterall...

The first duty of the government is to keep us safe.  We have Isis who is on record saying that they will infiltrate the refugee population with the intent to get into the US to perpetrate terrorism.  Looking closer at the refugees I am not seeing a lot of women and children.  When in trouble our values are to protect the weakest.  Where are the children? Where are the women and elderly?  This doesn't look like any group of refugees I have ever seen.  My instinct is that something is not right here and to proceed with great caution.

• 3 weeks later...

Immigrants should want to assimilate into American culture first.  Immigrants should also contribute to our society.  Under ordinary conditions, we should be seeking immigrants that are educated and able to serve as doctors, teachers, etc.  America should not be a global recycle bin for peasants and criminals.  Immigration is not a human right. It's time to drop the false compassion and look after our own interests.