An Old School Catholic Message Board

Taking a "gap year"?

AveMariaPurissima

AveMariaPurissima

I'm nearly done with my Associate's degree from the local community college here.  After this current semester is finished, I'll have just a little more than one semester to go in order to graduate.  I'm also discerning a possible vocation to religious life.

If I take a break from school once I'm done with my associates (instead of transferring somewhere and starting to work on a bachelor's right away), would that impact me negatively if I later decide to pursue a bachelors degree?  I could potentially see myself entering religious life not long after graduating community college, and besides, I still don't know what I'd want to major in or where I'd want to transfer to anyway.  But none of that is firm.  If I don't have a decision by the time I graduate (in probably a year or less), would it be okay to just take some time away from school to continue to discern my vocation and determine if I should be preparing for entrance or transfer?  Thoughts?

I think a gap year in your case sounds wise. Since you don't have a firm idea of what you would want to do or where to go it doesn't make sense to try to transfer right away. If you are just taking time off to take time off that isn't good. But to spend some time in discernment, not just of a religious vocation but for your life in general that is never time wasted. I think that we all get stuck on the education "conveyor belt". Basically we start in kindergarten go through high school and then immediately jump into college. That can result in someone coming out of college with a degree they don't like, or having to spend more time and money in school because they changed their major. I think stepping back especially when you don't have a firm pull in any direction is wise. 

I kinda took a gap year after college. I was a longterm live in volunteer at a Catholic nonprofit. That challenged me to grow and I learned a lot about who I am and what I want to do (or don't want to do). Taking that year changed my whole career plans! 

Taking a gap year sounds like a solid option in your case. Still, as a discerner who graduated from community college and immediately transferred, I recommend that you at least look into colleges for transferring, in case you decide to go that route.

A gap year should have no effect whatsoever on a four-year college accepting you later, or on your community college credits transferring to a four-year college. 

LIke the others who have replied, I think a gap year sounds like a good plan. Get a job, earn some money, save some money, contact & visit communities, etc. 

I agree 100% with TheresaThoma and I teach at a university. I also agree with Luigi: It should have no impact on your chances of acceptance. If anything, depending on what you do in that year, it could improve your chances. We need more people with work experience in college.

Let's not call it a "gap year", though, okay? I mean, that makes it sound like you jumped off "the conveyor belt" and that's a bad thing. It's a bad thing to be ON the conveyor belt, not off it. I know this is what Australians and Europeans typically call it, but if you're doing it consciously, with good reason, it's more like a "life year" than a "gap year"! ;) 

You may also want to consult with any communities that you are discerning with. Some require a college degree for entrance. Some have very specific ministries (teaching, nursing, etc.), and would prefer that members be trained to pursue those ministries. Others are much more open and flexible. Finally, I think your decision should keep as many doors open as possible. What would you be doing with that year if you DON'T go to college? Simply getting a job and marking time isn't necessarily the way to go.... Look into volunteer programs that may be open to those without degrees (many do require applicants to be college grads, like Jesuit Volunteer Corps and similar groups).  

I always advise my students who are thinking of taking time off to consider the long-term objective and what the short-term benefits of time off might be. There is no one right-or-wrong answer. 

AveMariaPurissima

Thanks everyone for your input! :)

For the moment, I'm thinking that after I finish my associate's, I'm not going to start at a 4-year college right away.  I'll get a job, pay off my loans and keep discerning, while keeping the option to transfer open, including looking at schools, considering majors, etc.  @Nunsuch I will keep the idea of a volunteer program of some sort in mind!

I'm going on a live-in in March with a community that I'm very interested in.  :nun1:I hope that this live-in will give me more clarity about what direction I should pursue after graduation.  I'll also talk with my SD and the community about it and see what they think.

P.S. @Gabriela I don't really care for the term "gap year" either -- I just wasn't sure what else to call it! <_<

Very true. Maybe an extraordinary year of personal development?

:hehe2:

Edited by TheresaThoma
I can't type

6 hours ago, TheresaThoma said:

Or a year of extraordinary personal development?!

Sponsa-Christi
22 hours ago, TheresaThoma said:

The special Jubilee Year of Personal Development? ;)

More realistically, what about calling it a "sabbatical year"?

20 hours ago, Sponsa-Christi said:

More realistically, what about calling it a "sabbatical year"?

That's a good idea.

Although personally I'm partial to the Extraordinary Jubilee Year of Personal Greatness.

I'm in very similar situation as Ave Maria Purissima.Next year i finishing my high school and i'm in kind of crossroad also.I'm discerning with one community for some time now and i wanted to made formal application after the new year and enter after my graduation in June.But i get strong opposition form my parents about that.At first moment i have been kind of disappointment and angry about it but they also offer me year off. Now i thinking it is not so bad idea.I will try to found some voluntary internship and spend one more year in discerning, to give my self more time.I think now it can only help me in my application.