An Old School Catholic Message Board

Secret Santa

veritasluxmea

46 minutes ago, Gabriela said:

:( But okay. I understand, Lil Red. I hope everything's well with you!

Does anyone else want to coordinate the virtues and saints drawing? Any volunteers for the Secret Santa coordination?

I'm just extremely busy with a baby, and kids, and husband, and life, and job. LOL. Thanks for asking. :)

veritasluxmea
16 minutes ago, chrysostom said:

What would "checking out" the person entail?  Like looking up on Facebook or something?

Nah, just making sure they're not a troublemaker and creeping people out on the forum. Not a problem for anyone on phatmass! 

Oh, I thought going through a Secret Santa Coordinator would mean people who wanted to be involved would submit their name and address, and then the coordinator would reassign the addresses at random to others. So the people receiving an address to send something to don't necessarily know who that person is on Phatmass. That way people don't have to associate their username with their actual name and address if they don't want to. And the fun part of that is, you don't know who you've sent your Secret Santa to - unless they decide to share about your gift on here. 

Horrible idea.   

What poster on Phatmass needs more chochkis so bad you'll go through all that effort and postage?

How about a group donation in Phatmass's name to Catholic Charities or St Jude's Hospital?

Can Dust set up a Donation Account we could contribute to anonymously that we could see the total amount raised?   Something that we could donate via Credit Card?   

Edit:

Donations for Caritas International...

Edited by Anomaly

dominicansoul

I'm all for phatmass donating, but not to any questionable charities.  It has to be a bonafide charity that gives most of the donation to the poor.  Also, none that use aborted fetal tissues in their search for a cure for cancer...

5 minutes ago, jcorsetti said:

why not both :) 

Because giving to someone in need is so much more satisfying.

Because its a lot of effort  and time to set up a creepy gift exchange with people are are reciprocating the gift. 

Because people who can donate a small amount can see how it adds to other small donors and it means a lot. 

So that posters that live in other countries can contribute to s common charity. (Caritas International)

Because I find find it uncomfortable to give while expecting to receive with all the societal entanglements that goes with. 

Because we all probably have our real needs and we can give to others who don't have basic needs.  Why waste time and effort on superfluous c.r.a.p?

veritasluxmea

Marigold, yes, that's how it would be done. You wouldn't know exactly who the user is. 

Anomaly, maybe you could set up a charity thing? Personally, I would prefer to do a secret santa than donate to a charity and don't feel the same way about it as you do. Please, if it makes you uncomfortable, DON'T SIGN UP. It would all be anonymous through PMs- I wouldn't post how many people were doing it or who, so it's easy to opt out and they'd be very little pressure. If we did a secret santa, I wouldn't expect everyone to do it or even get a large turnout. 

We'd do it because it would build community on Phatmass. And every time I look at my useless "chochki", I'll remember a Phatmasser and pray for him/her.

As for a charity donation: I'm pretty sure Phatmass is a charity we'd all feel comfortable supporting. :|