An Old School Catholic Message Board

Ashes for Wednesday?

Basilisa Marie

Basilisa Marie

Hey dudes. 

I'm making the ashes for our Ash Wednesday Masses. 

I have palms, and some old decrepit bibles and missals. 

Have any of you done this before? Because I haven't. 

Halp. 

17 minutes ago, Basilisa Marie said:

Hey dudes. 

I'm making the ashes for our Ash Wednesday Masses. 

I have palms, and some old decrepit bibles and missals. 

Have any of you done this before? Because I haven't. 

Halp. 

you are burning old bibles and missals to use as ashes ? I thought only palms were used ?

We're turning in our palms from last year to be used for the ashes this year.  I don't think you're supposed to use missals and bibles :o

veritasluxmea

I read that as the missals and bibles were going to be used as guides for the burning, like a reading? 

I honestly don't know, but here's what I'd do. If you want to keep the ashes, get a fireproof container (like a copper bowl or a fire pit) and clean it out really well of past burnt debris. Then put the palms in and light them with a match. I'd keep it small and slowly keep feeding it with the palms, and use a stick to make sure everything turns to ash. 

Basilisa Marie

Yeah so funny story there's actually nothing authoritative (that I can find - as always I'm happy to be proven wrong) that says they have to only be made out of palms from previous Palm Sundays. This parish has always "bulked up" the ashes with old bibles because they'd never get enough palms in and the pastor didn't want to order them from Autom or wherever, because he thought it was more important that the palms come from the community. 

I know, I know. 

I've heard people using a sieve or something to help it be less stick-y.

I mean of course I'm going to see how much we get with just palms. No need to clutch the pearls. :)

Good luck. I was going to mention the part about the sieve, but it appears you've already done the same google searches I have. 

If I were you, I'd invest in a metal bucket. That can be rinsed completely clean and so your ashes will be "pure".

I use a metal bucket to clean my fireplace out in, and to burn examinations of conscience and credit card receipts in.

• 2 weeks later...
PhuturePriest

I got the "Come on, you weren't even trying". It's my most hated type of Ash Wednesday cross, and yet also the one I receive most often.