An Old School Catholic Message Board

Material Possessions and Discernment

AuthorOfMyLife

AuthorOfMyLife
3 hours ago, beatitude said:

As others have said, poverty is about more than the price of things - it's an attitude of the heart. Increasingly I find it's connected to joy.  I'm a big reader and before I joined my secular institute I used to spend a lot of money on books for pleasure. Now I'm still a big reader, but instead of buying books I go to the library and hunt them out. I've found that if anything, this increases my joy in reading - there is fun in browsing the shelves not knowing quite what I'll find, anticipation when I stumble on a new author, the sense of having met an old friend when I discover a favourite book I haven't seen in years. I also like it when the library doesn't have the book I want and they request it for me with the inter-library loan system. It's not so convenient as just ordering it from the Internet, but the enjoyment is so much greater when I finally get my hands on it. I don't buy nearly so many books any more, but I enjoy just as many stories.

It's obvious that the thought of the doll inspires similar happiness in you, and it's a happiness you will be able to share with others through your artwork. If you want to live more simply, I think it helps to ask yourself two questions: a.) will the purchase bring you joy? and b.) will it enable you to share this joy with others? The other day I saw some lovely boots that in that moment I really wanted, but I knew that buying them was going to bring me any real happiness, only a temporary gratification - the thought of filling up my wardrobe with more possessions just makes me feel bogged down. Answer those two questions honestly and I don't think they will ever lead you wrong. You will probably end up buying relatively few things, but you won't feel guilty when you do buy something.

Oh, man, I LOVE the library, and especially the inter-library-loan system! I agree with you that there is a lot of joy in finding things by accident, and in waiting for something that you are really looking forward to.

And what a beautiful insight to connect poverty and joy / happiness! My sister feels like that about clothes: it makes her happy to wear beautiful clothes (many are thrift-store purchases), other people enjoy her style, and she's a wonderful example of how modesty is beautiful. Me, I'm happiest wearing the same (nice) outfit over and over, but I am so grateful to God that He allows me to share something that does give me joy (sewing and drawing) with others.

I want to thank everyone again for all your kindness and good advice and prayers. I will consider everything carefully, and maybe, in a few months (it takes several months for a doll like this to be made) you might see that my Etsy shop has a new (guilt-free) "mascot"!