polskieserce

How is the Church going to cope with the transition to a post-capitalist society?

Era Might
50 minutes ago, Nihil Obstat said:

You might be interested in reading Hans-Jorg Rheinberger's "Toward a History of Epistemic Things". Very interesting book.

Cool, I'll check it out. What's the main argument or discussion? Carl Mitcham has an amesome old book-length bibliography of the Philosophy of Technology. I recall seeing Avery Cardinal Dulles listed, an article on the Mass and television, I think.

Edited by Era Might

Nihil Obstat
3 hours ago, Era Might said:

Cool, I'll check it out. What's the main argument or discussion? Carl Mitcham has an amesome old book-length bibliography of the Philosophy of Technology. I recall seeing Avery Cardinal Dulles listed, an article on the Mass and television, I think.

For the parts I am familiar with, Reinberger talks about "technical objects" and "epistemic things" in the context of practice-based (as opposed to theory-first) science. Particularly the nature of the experimental system, and the ways in which, he argues, knowledge is obtained through the devising and executing of the experimental system itself, rather than the more classical hypothesis testing theoretical paradigm.

Era Might
18 hours ago, Nihil Obstat said:

For the parts I am familiar with, Reinberger talks about "technical objects" and "epistemic things" in the context of practice-based (as opposed to theory-first) science. Particularly the nature of the experimental system, and the ways in which, he argues, knowledge is obtained through the devising and executing of the experimental system itself, rather than the more classical hypothesis testing theoretical paradigm.

Hmmm, definitely sounds interesting. There's a really cool TV debate on YouTube, back when TV hosted those kinds of things, between Michel Foucault and Noam Chomsky. A discussion far above my intelligence, but I think one of Foucalt's main points was that any theory we construct of the world is, indeed, a construction, not reality. Foucalt was big on studying the social spaces we live in, like systems of punishment, because they create the world for us. Nobody lives in reality, as such. That sounds similar to the book you're referencing. I'll look it up.

Nihil Obstat

Different 'genres', but similar approach. One might argue that it is the influence of post-modernism on scientific theory.