An Old School Catholic Message Board

Catholic Trivia

Amppax

Does anyone know of a good source for Catholic Trivia questions? Or have any good ones? I'm helping out with a retreat for high schoolers and one of our activities is trivia. I drew the straw for coming up with the questions, and it's taking me longer than I'd expected. 

Also, yes, I have done a good search. I'm not particularly happy with what I've been finding. 

7 minutes ago, Peace said:

Keating has a book The Ultimate Catholic Quiz

Oh, nice. I will have to see if I can get my hands on that. 

Just pick up Denzinger and Ott (most likely you have them already), roll a few dice to get page numbers, then pull questions straight from them. :|

"If fear of punishment alone animates penance, what vice is one led to?"

"Is it or is it not a condemned error to say: "In many narratives the Evangelists related not so much what is true, as what they thought to be more profitable for the reader, although false."?"

47 minutes ago, Nihil Obstat said:

Just pick up Denzinger and Ott (most likely you have them already), roll a few dice to get page numbers, then pull questions straight from them. :|

"Is it or is it not a condemned error to say: "In many narratives the Evangelists related not so much what is true, as what they thought to be more profitable for the reader, although false."?"

<_<

I wish.

1 hour ago, Nihil Obstat said:

Just pick up Denzinger and Ott (most likely you have them already)

But who doesn't? It would be cool if they updated Ott so that the references to Denzinger match the updated edition though. I think as it is now you have to get  like the 1950 version of D to use them together.

4 minutes ago, Peace said:

But who doesn't? It would be cool if they updated Ott so that the references to Denzinger match the updated edition though. I think as it is now you have to get  like the 1950 version of D to use them together.

Not a problem when you have all three. Though it is tiresome to flip between three books that size. 

4 minutes ago, Peace said:

I think you can find the older version online for quick reference if you do not want to buy both.

14 hours ago, Amppax said:
15 hours ago, Nihil Obstat said:

<_<

I wish.

Ans.1 Despair is my best guess.

Ans.2 Yes, the Evangelists were honest. 

I, J., am a 16 year old high schooler. @Nihil Obstat, were my answers correct? 

The questions themselves are not that hard. You just need to have read, say, In Memoriam. Only then can you break the questions down to simple words.

15 hours ago, Peace said:

Keating has a book The Ultimate Catholic Quiz

_____

https://books.google.co.in/books?id=pNeMCwAAQBAJ&pg=PT1&dq=The+Ultimate+Catholic+Quiz&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwirgYCtwtXQAhURT48KHXQzCmIQ6AEIGTAA#v=onepage&q&f=false link to it in googlebooks

2 hours ago, Jack4 said:
18 hours ago, Nihil Obstat said:

Ans.1 Despair is my best guess.

Ans.2 Yes, the Evangelists were honest. 

I, J., am a 16 year old high schooler. @Nihil Obstat, were my answers correct? 

24 minutes ago, Nihil Obstat said:

Despair and yes are correct. :)

:cool::clap::love:

If I were a senselessly scrupulous nitpicker, I'd say that despair is never correct.

My comment re: complex words may wrong as far as native speakers are concerned... 

PhuturePriest
18 hours ago, Nihil Obstat said:

Reading Ludwig Ott was the greatest trial put upon me during my reign at CM. :|

25 minutes ago, PhuturePriest said:

Reading Ludwig Ott was the greatest trial put upon me during my reign at CM. :|

The way he had you 'studying' that was literally insane. 

Why have I never heard of Ott before?

and I have done trivia before (but from the first communion version of the Baltimore catechism - didn't tell that to the grade seven students who were answering it).