An Old School Catholic Message Board

Seeking help to make decision

Roz

Hi

over the last few weeks I have felt drawn towards the catholic faith and had a thirst for knowledge and peace. I have also, at times, felt a strong calling to become a nun. 

I feel like I have a million and one things going on in my life and when I am in prayer (which I try and do every day) I am in peace. 

I haven't told anyone yet.   I'm looking to make friends to help me on my journey and does anyone know if I could become pen pals with a nun. 

Thank you

God Bless

Roz

Welcome to Phatmass, Roz.:)

I know you will get much good support and sound advice from members active in forum.  Most are probably asleep just now.  I am in Australia.

Spem in alium
4 hours ago, Roz said:

Hi

over the last few weeks I have felt drawn towards the catholic faith and had a thirst for knowledge and peace. I have also, at times, felt a strong calling to become a nun. 

I feel like I have a million and one things going on in my life and when I am in prayer (which I try and do every day) I am in peace. 

I haven't told anyone yet.   I'm looking to make friends to help me on my journey and does anyone know if I could become pen pals with a nun. 

Thank you

God Bless

Roz

Welcome, Roz. 

How are these new experiences  (being drawn to Catholicism and consecrated life) making you feel? It's very good that you feel peace in your prayer and that you make time for it.

Is there anyone in your life you can speak to about this? Someone you trust? There are formal and informal ways you can become more familiar with the Catholic Church and come to a decision regarding your future. 

In the meantime, continue to seek the Truth and peace. You have my prayers.

Sister Leticia

Hello Roz, and welcome! It's lovely to read that God is speaking to your heart in this way.

You haven't said anything about where in the world you are, but hopefully you are close enough to a parish church, chaplaincy or something like a retreat centre, where you can find someone to talk to about feeling drawn to the Catholic church. Many churches run programmes designed to help enquirers learn more about the Faith and Catholic practice - and for those who don't come from a Christian background, to learn about God, Jesus, ways of praying etc. It may feel daunting to make contact and approach someone, but it'll be worth it!

(Plus, joining a church is one of the few things left which you cannot do online - you have to turn up in person)

But please separate your attraction to the Catholic Church from the idea of maybe being called to religious life. You need to become a Catholic because that is where you have found whatever satisfies you most - not as a passport to something else. By all means have a sisterly pen pal, but take your journey one step at a time.

Blessings!

Hi Roz, 

My name is  Kim-Thérèse . I once was in a similar position, desiring to become a Catholic, but also drawn to something so much more - to give my life wholly and completely to God as a Religious. 

I'm still in an intermittent period at the moment as I went back to studying for a while first. My advice is to grow in the faith first and be patient and let God lead you in His time. If your vocation is true and it is God's will for you to enter Religious Life, then you will, eventually, so long as you stay open to God's call.

Can't say much now. Will write more another time. GBY. 

Also, find your nearest Catholic church and ask the priest about the RCIA - it will help to strengthen the faith. 

With regards to Religious Life - you may wish to speak to a priest or Sister about that in the mean time while you wait. Be patient and trust God. Know you have my prayers. 

Kim-Thérèse