An Old School Catholic Message Board

Executive Order re: Immigration Ban

Kateri89

5 hours ago, little2add said:

make no mistake, the US is at war in the country of Syria, there is killing of innocent, agony and collateral damage going on.  Revenge is a real possibility. 

Trump is urging what he called using  "a extreme vetting" policy... he has a point!

but he is not calling for vetting on syria. he calls for a indefinete ban on anyone from syria.  

a indefinite ban on military intervention, replaced by (true) humanitarian aid is the proper thing to do.    in addition to scrutinizing the venting process with trump's temporary ban on immigrants

11 hours ago, havok579257 said:

but he is not calling for vetting on syria. he calls for a indefinete ban on anyone from syria.  

BTW: Syria ban is indefinite (temporary), not permanent 

Edited by little2add

1 hour ago, little2add said:

a indefinite ban on military intervention, replaced by (true) humanitarian aid is the proper thing to do.    in addition to scrutinizing the venting process with trump's temporary ban on immigrants

BTW: Syria ban is indefinite (temporary), not permanent 

indefinite- without fixed or specific time;  unlimited.  (dictonary.com)

It is a ban with no end date.  Trump would have to sign another executive order allowing Syria refugee's back in the country.  So nothing temporary about it.

2 hours ago, havok579257 said:

indefinite- without fixed or specific time;  unlimited.  (dictonary.com)

3 hours ago, little2add said:

permanent:  lasting or intended to last or remain unchanged indefinitely.

5 hours ago, little2add said:

ok, so since the ban is only temporary, when does it end?  we know the other bans end after 90 or 120 days.  if this is temporary, then when does it end?

26 minutes ago, little2add said:

Only God can say

cause there is no end date.  This is a ban that never ends unless Trump signs another executive order allowing Syrian residents into america.  No ban which permanently bans all people from any country is wrong.  The entire country is not evil.  Many women and children need to get out of there.  Denying them access forever is un-christian.

I don't support Trump's temporary ban on Syrian refugees.  The only viable solution is to provide (additional) massive humanitarian aid and withdraw our military.  

Those who live by the sword die by the sword 

pray for the end of the war by saying the rosary, daily.    pray for Russia to cease fire too!

Edited by little2add

This is why we are stuck with the Idiotic Political Party.   

We are fighting about whether or not we should be allowed to restrict  immigration and if/how the other party may be doing the same thing when they had power while the other party fights any perceived win by the other.   Meanwhile, we stifle and cripple what and how we do the little we do and never get around to discussing, researching, developing, and implementing a sane and doable vetting standard and getting the public to sponsor refugees. 

We don't do a good job vetting, because we don't have a clear policy and consistent procedures. You can't have a legal threshold, because you can't get verified documents.    They only recently started to check some social media data, but it isn't shared with all agencies.  It is a mess, despite what the young man with the great hair tells you in the evening news. 

Syria is a particular issue because the US is involved in a proxy war there, supporting rebels against Syrian President Assad, Russia, and ISIS.  (Who have no compunctions against infiltrating the refugees and are killing their own citizens.)

We should be calling on our Government to spend more $ on vetting and intelligence, a little less on bombs, helping refugees and some immigrants and stop with this ridiculous partisan political fight ( though we've been doing it since Reagan).   It's like we are arguing about the shortage of lifeboats on the Titanic while many of them rowed away half full. 

7 minutes ago, Anomaly said:

It is a mess, despite what the young man with the great hair tells you in the evening news. 

Justin Trudeau?

ac665231431fa86cf2b703f6161b.jpg

1 hour ago, Amppax said:

Another interesting article related to this: https://thejosias.com/2017/02/04/the-needy-immigrant-nationalism-globalism-and-the-universal-destination-of-goods/

@Nihil Obstat I think you'd be especially interested. 

Neither side offers satisfactory answers to these questions.

We are off to an excellent start. :like3: 

I love that critique of the rise of the modern nation state. Really speaks to me on a deep level. If I were asked to draw up the structure of my own utopia, it would probably resemble what I understand to be the basic features of Middle Ages feudalism, pre-nation-state feudalism.

From the article:

The Christian Middle Ages were, to some extent, able to achieve a synthesis of those two ideals. Christendom was ideally a universal community in which all the baptized were considered friends and fellow-citizens of the City of God, and only Muslims and Jews were considered foreigners. The whole of Christendom was united by the authority of Pope, who entrusted the temporal sword to the emperor. But that order was subsidiary with many common goods pursued at the lower levels of kingdoms, duchies, counties, abbeys, towns, villages etc.

6 hours ago, Nihil Obstat said:

We are off to an excellent start. :like3: 

I love that critique of the rise of the modern nation state. Really speaks to me on a deep level. If I were asked to draw up the structure of my own utopia, it would probably resemble what I understand to be the basic features of Middle Ages feudalism, pre-nation-state feudalism.

From the article:

The Christian Middle Ages were, to some extent, able to achieve a synthesis of those two ideals. Christendom was ideally a universal community in which all the baptized were considered friends and fellow-citizens of the City of God, and only Muslims and Jews were considered foreigners. The whole of Christendom was united by the authority of Pope, who entrusted the temporal sword to the emperor. But that order was subsidiary with many common goods pursued at the lower levels of kingdoms, duchies, counties, abbeys, towns, villages etc.

Yeah, take a look at this: https://thejosias.com/about/

and this: https://thejosias.com/2016/10/17/integralism-in-three-sentences/

Edited by Amppax