An Old School Catholic Message Board

Adoration & Bullet Proof Glass Talk

dUSt

1 minute ago, Peace said:

lf I may derail the thread yet again, I thought that the the moment of ensoulment is still an open question. Am I mistaken?

Well, if you want to start arguing that when Jesus was conceived by the Holy Spirit, it is still a question on whether or not He had a soul until later on, go ahead. Haha. I'm not.

2 minutes ago, dUSt said:

Well, if you want to start arguing that when Jesus was conceived by the Holy Spirit, it is still a question on whether or not He had a soul until later on, go ahead. Haha. I'm not.

I wouldn't want to make that argument concerning Jesus. Now you on the other hand . . .

3 minutes ago, Peace said:

I wouldn't want to make that argument concerning Jesus. Now you on the other hand . . .

Not it. Go right ahead though... All you man.

18 hours ago, dUSt said:

If Jesus is not physically there, then why is such care taken with the accidents of the bread?

You are having an assumed premiseYou presume that such care is taken with the accidents of bread.

Substantiate it. 

I argue to the contrary: Shape and size are accidents, yet these are changed in the Rite of Fraction. Therefore, the Church does not require the accidents to be preserved unchanged. 

KnightofChrist
On 2/17/2017 at 7:08 AM, PhuturePriest said:

No, for perpetual adoration. The 40 Hours Devotion was a thing because adoration was rare.

I have to disagree. From what I can find perpetual adoration by the faithful goes back centuries (not counting the 40 hours). 

http://www.ewtn.com/library/HOMELIBR/HISTOREA.TXT

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/01152a.htm

franciscanheart
On 2/14/2017 at 4:34 PM, Peace said:

Maybe. I am not so knowledgeable about this, but my understanding is that the Church does not equate the Real Presence with a "physical presence".

I don't think we can really say that Jesus is physically contained within the tabernacle or that we physically feel Jesus  when we take communion.

Jesus is truly present, but not necessarily physically present in the same way that bodies or objects are present before us.

If you google Catholic, "Real Presence" and "physical presence" you'll find a bunch of things that discuss this topic much better than I can.

On 2/14/2017 at 6:22 PM, dUSt said:

Like all things, I suppose it's how you define the word "physical". I've never even thought twice about using that word because when I say "physically" present, I mean, really present, or actually present, or substantially present, or tangibly present. Like, Christ's actual body is there, in front of me.

Now, if you think of "physically" as something you can see, hear or smell with your senses, then no, I suppose He is not "physically" present in that way, as the Eucharist still looks, smells and tastes like bread and wine.

Which makes me wonder... we don't put emphasis on how the Eucharist tastes, or smells, or feels, so why do we place emphasis on Him being seen during adoration? Maybe it's not so much about being able to actual "see" Him, but rather, being able to see Him just so we know He is there?

So, kinda like St Thomas Aquinas said about no bread or wine can remain after transubstantiation, otherwise Catholics would be adoring a piece of bread. Maybe we open the tabernacle to see Jesus, so we're not in danger of accidentaly adoring an empty tabernacle. haha

https://www.ewtn.com/faith/teachings/eucha4.htm