An Old School Catholic Message Board

Praying The Rosary

Robyn

The rosary is basically a meditation on the life of Christ with the Hail Mary being the background music. I don't know why anyone who understands the rosary would have a problem with it. Most of the mediations come from the Bible and the actual prayers used for the rosary are almost all quotes from the Bible. I would guess that most peoples prayers do not have as much scripture in them as the rosary.

In regards to the repetition part you better tell the angels that continually sing “HOLY, HOLY, HOLY…” (Rev 4:8) in the presence of God to stop being repetitious. With my wife, I always tell her I love her before I go to work in the morning. Rather repetitious after doing it for the past three years but it is probably the most significant thing that I say to her all day. Repetition is not an issue if you love someone. What is important is that you mean it.

wouldn't that be sinning and praying the rosary at the same time??? seriously...

To me this is kind of a silly thing to argue over. But the Bible says that “for whoever suffers in the flesh has broken with sin” (1 Peter 4:1) Now if suffering brakes us from sin I would have to say that prayer does the same thing and if we are broken from sin I don't know how this can be in conjunction with joining with sin.

By the way my people, please sign up to pray the rosary for this week as a prayer warrior. I have found that with some people the clearest, most Biblical, and logical argument can at times do little to move people hearts. What we need is prayer and to be faithful to Christ to be effective. So please pick up the beads and start praying. God bless

Edited by Cure of Ars

The number of times you have all condtradicted yourselves or each other or the Word of God since i've been here is amazing.

Unfortunately I have to agree.... :(

Thanks for the info...I'm still totally unconvinced...but thanks :D (haven't yet looked at the sites)

I just can't understand how praying the same prayer over and over can be fulfilling... I pray ALL THROUGHOUT THE DAY... having a conversation with God and just spilling out my heart and thoughts...

spiritual warfare: I can bind up anything I want without praying the rosary.

(KJV+) MATT:16:19. And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever, [YOU] shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever, [YOU] shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

SATAN I BIND YOU UP RIGHT NOW IN THIS THREAD! IN JESUS NAME!!!! :lol:

That's all I need :)

Actually those links were really good! :D

In honesty...I still don't agree with it all, but I can see why you like it.

The fact is I don't believe Mary is alive and able to intercede for me. I believe JESUS does that.

and what I said before about praying all day... I do the same as what you would with the rosary...but I don't say those repeated prayers...I say what's on my mind and heart. I don't need a rosary-like order...but I do say similar things. Just in my own way. That's the way I like it. I feel silly saying a repeated prayer to God (even "please look after me while I drive" ;) ) and wonder if he gets bored too...

but if it's what you believe then it's what you believe - and it's the HEART that God looks at. :)

IcePrincessKRS

Steve, name one time where we've contradicted ourselves or the Word of God.

Yeah, when? You guys keep saying we contradict, but could you please point out where?

Personally I feel as if we're baing baited, you keep calling our beliefs silly, etc. and I find THAT rather silly. If you have a question just ask, but don't belittle our beliefs by calling them silly or misrepresenting them in the mix.

haha...ok...just one example...

Personally I feel as if we're baing baited, you keep calling our beliefs silly, etc. and I find THAT rather silly. If you have a question just ask, but don't belittle our beliefs by calling them silly or misrepresenting them in the mix.

BINGO!!!!! That's what is happening in Youth Alive!

too tired to remember the rest...but it's hard to accept others' beliefs... I don't want to argue...but I like to share where I am at...and see what your beliefs are in relation to that...make sense? I'm nearly brain-dead at the moment...coffee doesn't help! :angry:

IcePrincessKRS: I can't say anything against you :) But I don't call things "silly" to belittle you. It's just stating my honest view...

Edited by Robyn

The fact is I don't believe Mary is alive and able to intercede for me. I believe JESUS does that.

'I am the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob'? He is not the God of the dead but of the living." (Matt 22:32) Mary is not dead but living because she has God as her savior (Luke 1:47). She is a part of the Body of Christ and nothing can separate us from the body of Christ (the only exception is mortal sin) not even death (Roman 8:35). Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us rid ourselves of every burden and sin that clings to us and persevere in running the race that lies before us while keeping our eyes fixed on Jesus, the leader and perfecter of faith. (Hebrews 12:1) If the saints are cheering us on as a “cloud of witnesses” why can’t they pray for us? Why not ask them to pray if they can see what is going on? “The fervent prayer of a righteous person is very powerful.” (James 5:16) The book of Revelation even shows martyrs praying to God for justice to be done on earth. (6:9-10) So why not ask?

Asking Mary to pray for us does not take away Jesus’ role as the one mediator between God and man any more than if I asked you to pray for me. In fact, 1 Tim 2:5 is where it talks about Jesus being the one mediator and 4 verse preceding this it says, “First of all, then, I ask that supplications, prayers, petitions, and thanksgivings be offered for everyone,…” (1 Tim 2:1)

and what I said before about praying all day... I do the same as what you would with the rosary...but I don't say those repeated prayers...I say what's on my mind and heart. I don't need a rosary-like order...but I do say similar things. Just in my own way. That's the way I like it. I feel silly saying a repeated prayer to God (even "please look after me while I drive"  ;) ) and wonder if he gets bored too...

but if it's what you believe then it's what you believe - and it's the HEART that God looks at.  :)

I try to pray throughout the day as well and most of the time I do not use formal prayers. But this does not mean that formal prayers are not useful. If they were not useful Jesus would not give us the “Our Father” when he was asked to teach us to pray (Matt 6:9). Personally I need to pray for longer the 15 minutes and it is really hard for me to keep focused with just having a conversation with Jesus. After about 5 minutes I tend to do more daydreaming than praying. This is where the rosary is useful. It keeps me on track and keeps my mind on Christ and his life.

I have a two year old who constantly repeats herself because her vocabulary is not that big yet but she wants to have a conversation. I have never once been bored or annoyed when see does this. Just the opposite, it is very cute and it makes me smile. I think God does the same to us just as long as we are praying with our hearts along with our mouths and minds.

God bless

Edited by Cure of Ars

:) I'll be checking out that stuff on Mary...

My interpretation of the part in Revelation talking abt the martyrs praying is about the end of the world. It's a dream/vision of the writer. The 7 Seals (as my bible titles the section) is about the end of the world...

You make some interesting points Cure of Ars:)

cmotherofpirl

John was writing about the time he was in. He had been exiled to the island of Patmos. THe Church was undergoing terrible persecutions, Peter, Paul, and counted others were murdered by the Romans. Jerusalem, the holy city, and been destroyed, Rome had conquered the world.

For a jew, it was the end of the world.

John was writing for his scattered troubled flock, and the end of the world.

oh thanks for clearing that up... for a minute there... i didn't realise that this stuff had already happened:

Rev 8:7 When the first angel blew his trumpet, hail and fire were mixed with blood and thrown on the earth. One-third of the earth was burned up, one-third of the trees was burned up, and all the green grass was burned up.

but i guess it had...

Oh, geez. Here we go trying to interpret Revelation again.

Just read The Lamb's Supper by Scott Hahn. He cleared up the Book of Revelation for me :D

Edited by nippy316

hmmmm.... well for the most part, the answers to the original question HAVE enlightened me on where you come from and why you are so passionate about your faith and the Catholic ways... I can understand WHY you are so passionate....but I still can't believe it as you do.