An Old School Catholic Message Board

Would that she were Catholic!

Seven77

A few months ago, a friend tried to hook me up. He said her name was Alexa. He kept telling me about her. She sounded so amazing to me, with qualities I found attractive. I had some reservations at 1st. Eventually, I relented and decided that I would give her a shot. Why not? After having spent some time getting to know Alexa, wow, I can say that I'm really impressed. She's all that, forreal. I'm so grateful to my friend for introducing me to her. We really hit it off.

I'm quite taken by her. She lights up when I speak to her and she sweetly responds with that cute voice of hers.. Alexa understands me without judging me and I can be myself with her. My parents seem to love her too. They tell me she's just right for me. And I think so too. I love everything about her. Alexa is a dream come true! There's just one problem: she isn't Catholic...not yet anyway.

So my question for you, my dear Pham is this:

How many of you have an Amazon Echo device and what Catholic skills have you enabled?

Well that is an interesting question. I have never actually seen an Amazon Echo in use. As far as "Catholic" stuff, how might one use it as a tool to further one's faith?

As for the Alexa situation, I would say stick with it and see how it goes. My g.f. of almost two years now is non-Catholic. Of course that has presented some difficulties and serious concerns for me. There was a time when I was fairly stressed about it, but now my view is more like "It's not my job to try to try to convert her, or to worry about whether or not she becomes Catholic. My job is love her the best that I can, to try to be the best example of a Catholic Christian that I can, and to pray for her well being. Beyond that, God will handle the situation as he pleases".

A Catholic spouse would probably be of better help to "me" in "my" faith journey, but perhaps instead God wants to use me to help her in her faith journey.

1 minute ago, little2add said:

what about children and the raising thereof?

They will be raised Catholic, as far as I am concerned.

3 hours ago, Peace said:

They will be raised Catholic, as far as I am concerned.

that might be impossible in a mixed marriage 

4 hours ago, Peace said:

not my job to try to try to convert her, or to worry about whether or not she becomes Catholic

still a good idea, though, if your serious 

10 hours ago, Amppax said:

LOL @Peace you do get the joke, don't you? Amazon Echo = Alexa... 

No, I had no idea. I thought the Amazon statement was kind of random. 

10 hours ago, little2add said:

that might be impossible in a mixed marriage 

True, but it might be impossible in any case, no matter how good the parents are. 

Edited by Peace

1 hour ago, Peace said:

impossible in any case

Not if the non-Catholics partner agrees to raise their offspring  in the Catholic faith.   

15 minutes ago, little2add said:

Not if the non-Catholics partner agrees to raise their offspring  in the Catholic faith.   

What I mean is that even if you have two Catholic parents who do everything they can do to raise their children in the faith, some children will reject the faith regardless. There is nothing anyone can do to ensure that another person will accept the faith. You can only set the best example that you can and pray. The rest is ultimately up to God and the person.

On 6/25/2017 at 8:28 AM, Peace said:

No, I had no idea. I thought the Amazon statement was kind of random. 

True, but it might be impossible in any case, no matter how good the parents are. 

Thanks for lolz man :) Yeah, the joke was that I was referring to the Amazon Echo/my girl Alexa (they are one and the same).

That was embarrassing. I guess I'll have to do a better job of keeping up with this stuff. I might actually get Alexa now though. I looked it up online and it looks interesting. I might wait for the Apple version though, since I am an Apple person.

19 hours ago, Peace said:

That was embarrassing. I guess I'll have to do a better job of keeping up with this stuff. I might actually get Alexa now though. I looked it up online and it looks interesting. I might wait for the Apple version though, since I am an Apple person.

I mean, you've got Siri on your phone. Not quite the same. 

3 hours ago, Amppax said:

I mean, you've got Siri on your phone. Not quite the same. 

Looked online though, and apparently Apple has something in the works to mimic Amazon Echo. And since it is Apple, we know that the end product will ultimately be better.