An Old School Catholic Message Board

The vocation crisis is not limited to the priesthood

DameAgnes

She is right. But I am cautious - she is also very right about evangelizing youths and families so that people can actually hear God calling them to their vocations. However, since she does not go into specifics of what she means by that, it falls into the other generic calls to 'evangelize youth' that range the extreme ideas of sending children through traddy minor seminaries to having children around the altar during Mass.

The vocation crisis started quite a while ago, and the shrieking about the sky falling is really out of place now. The 1950s and 60s were certainly anomalous in terms of high numbers of vocations, but most dioceses should have known something was wrong by the 1980s.

I don't want to start a ef/of fight in here, but dioceses that are more traditional (and that just means the bishop isn't an opponent of the EF, and that there are reverent OF Masses) do get vocations. And yet, when their strategies for increasing vocations are mentioned elsewhere, they're discounted as larks or as if the people didn't have real vocations and are really just pretending. 

• 4 months later...

Recently, a priest gave a homily to us about how there isn't necessarily a vocations crisis, but a crisis in women and men responding to their vocation because men and women are being called, but due to lack of support they do not explore the priesthood or religious life. And as a result they are not becoming priests and nuns. I thought that was an interesting take.