An Old School Catholic Message Board

Short list of links for Mature discerners

nikita92

Just saw this. 

Late Vocations for Women

Carmel of Port Tobacco (cloistered women Carmelite house reported to accept older vocations)

Sisters of the Visitation, Toldero, OH (accept single or widowed Catholic woman 18-45 years, with exceptions considered for even older women)

St. Benedict Monastery, Canyon, Texas (new foundation begun in 1971; accepts women of 25-60 years of age.)

Daughters of Our Mother of Peace - Vinita Park, Missouri - accepts women 22-55 (link is to page on the Council of Major Superiors of Women Religious website).

Search for female communities accepting late vocations (religiouslife.com)

I know of another community, the Benedictine Sisters of Elizabeth, NJ, an LCWR religious community (there may be more info about them on the LCWR website, not sure though) One of my friends told me they were accepting and looking for women in their upper 40's and 50's as she came across them when she was discerning religious life, as I don't believe now though by looking at their website if they have anyone in formation anymore. I have heard unfortunately five women left there in the past two years, and also that they are downsizing and possibly selling some of their property. They may not be accepting anymore vocations, as it looks like majority of their Sisters are older and it appears to be a smaller community. You can check out their website and see for yourself though. http://www.catholic-forum.com/bensisnj/

Sister Leticia
17 hours ago, LilFlwr said:

I know of another community, the Benedictine Sisters of Elizabeth, NJ, an LCWR religious community (there may be more info about them on the LCWR website, not sure though) One of my friends told me they were accepting and looking for women in their upper 40's and 50's as she came across them when she was discerning religious life, as I don't believe now though by looking at their website if they have anyone in formation anymore. I have heard unfortunately five women left there in the past two years, and also that they are downsizing and possibly selling some of their property. They may not be accepting anymore vocations, as it looks like majority of their Sisters are older and it appears to be a smaller community. You can check out their website and see for yourself though. http://www.catholic-forum.com/bensisnj/

LilFlwr - I looked at this community's website and saw that they are advertising 4 vocation discernment weekends over the coming year, so I don't understand why you think they might not be accepting new vocations? Yes, they don't seem to have anyone in initial formation, but the sisters are by no means ancient - some of them look like they're in their 40s and 50s, which is only middle-aged! 

Maybe you're repeating something someone told you, just as you "heard" that they might be downsizing. Please be careful about repeating hearsay in a public forum - especially any news which isn't yet public/official.

Btw, downsizing is not a bad thing in itself! Here in the UK we have a great example of this: Stanbrook Abbey, the monastery on which Rumer Godden based "In this House of Brede". Until about 10 years ago 30-40 nuns were rattling around in a HUGE old monastery which originally housed 100, and no doubt cost a fortune to heat and maintain. Now they live in a smaller, purpose-built eco-friendly monastery with a stunning chapel and views - https://www.stanbrookabbey.org.uk/ 

And no, they haven't lost any sense of life or purpose - and they continue to receive vocations (as well as interest and publicity about the monastery building and their way of life)

8 hours ago, Sister Leticia said:

LilFlwr - I looked at this community's website and saw that they are advertising 4 vocation discernment weekends over the coming year, so I don't understand why you think they might not be accepting new vocations? Yes, they don't seem to have anyone in initial formation, but the sisters are by no means ancient - some of them look like they're in their 40s and 50s, which is only middle-aged! 

Maybe you're repeating something someone told you, just as you "heard" that they might be downsizing. Please be careful about repeating hearsay in a public forum - especially any news which isn't yet public/official.

Btw, downsizing is not a bad thing in itself! Here in the UK we have a great example of this: Stanbrook Abbey, the monastery on which Rumer Godden based "In this House of Brede". Until about 10 years ago 30-40 nuns were rattling around in a HUGE old monastery which originally housed 100, and no doubt cost a fortune to heat and maintain. Now they live in a smaller, purpose-built eco-friendly monastery with a stunning chapel and views - https://www.stanbrookabbey.org.uk/ 

And no, they haven't lost any sense of life or purpose - and they continue to receive vocations (as well as interest and publicity about the monastery building and their way of life)

Downsizing isn't a bad thing at all, lots of communities are doing that, especially in the U.S. One of my friends was discerning with them, and their vocation director told her they haven't been able to update their website since the 2003, so it might not be the most updated info. But that's okay because anyone interested can just contact them!

34 minutes ago, LilFlwr said:

Downsizing isn't a bad thing at all, lots of communities are doing that, especially in the U.S. One of my friends was discerning with them, and their vocation director told her they haven't been able to update their website since the 2003, so it might not be the most updated info. But that's okay because anyone interested can just contact them!

Their pictures on the website hasn't been updated that's what I meant....Sr. Leticia is right, they do update their retreats.

• 1 month later...

re the Benedictine Sisters in Elizabeth NJ they are old and small but very much open for business! They have at least two one month discernments this year and I am sure are open for weekends as well.  These orders are also getting vocations usually from mature women with a lot of education and life experience behind them.

This question is asked over and over again. It really does come down to the community and the Holy Spirit. I've seen communities say they accept no one over 35 make exceptions for women in their 40's if it seems like the Holy Spirit is leading. I know of a Carmel that accepted a woman who was either 67 or 71, and she is professed and still going strong now. It comes down to the community and the Holy Spirit. 

• 1 month later...

Both Poor Clare monasteries in the Boston area--Boston and Andover--take older vocations. Andover has a stated range of 20-50, but they very much need vocations so would likely entertain otherwise, and Boston states that age is evaluated on a case by case basis.

For ladies  who wanted a cloistered missionary vocation (missionary since you will be with a community who is the first on the country after so many decades) Cistercian's Tautra Mariakloster in Norway is worthy of consideration, http://www.tautra.org/vocation

Up to 40 years old

The Eudist Servants Of The Eleventh Hour 

The Eleventh Hour refers to the scripture where Jesus calls the last, and signifies that the community is for older women, generally between the ages of forty five and sixty five. The reference to St. John Eudes is recognition that the community is part of the Eudist Congregation, and it is also in honor of St. John Eudes spirituality.

• 1 year later...
anne.kurian

I would like to take up the vocation of nun. I am not familiar about the congregation that I need to consider. Can someone help me. I am 44 years of age. I am an Indian, currently in UAE.

Sister Leticia

Hello Anne

If you don't know any religious sisters, or have no idea about what sort of religious vocation you are being called to, it would help you to find someone who can help you discern. Maybe your parish or the diocese could suggest someone? Or maybe you know some sisters, and could ask one of them for advice?

If it's hard to find someone to accompany you, you could look for an online discernment programme, which might help you. The UK Carmelites, for example, have two on their website: a general one, and one about whether a person's call is to Carmel. 

https://carmelitenuns.uk/discernment/

I don't know it very well, but Vision Vocation Network has a lot of articles and reflections around things like prayer, discernment and religious life  https://vocationnetwork.org/en/main

Others here might know of other online tools or programmes.

Begin with discernment - and with time, prayer and reflection, God will give you greater clarity about where and how he is calling you to follow him.

I suppose the next consideration is whether, if are settled in UAE, you would need to look into entering there, or if it would be better to contact communities in India. I have no idea about religious orders in UAE (but your diocese would know where any communities are) - but I do know there are a LOT of different orders in India. 

Blessings - and good luck!