Sign in to follow this  
nikita92

Short list of links for Mature discerners

nikita92

Just saw this. 

Late Vocations for Women

Carmel of Port Tobacco (cloistered women Carmelite house reported to accept older vocations)

Sisters of the Visitation, Toldero, OH (accept single or widowed Catholic woman 18-45 years, with exceptions considered for even older women)

St. Benedict Monastery, Canyon, Texas (new foundation begun in 1971; accepts women of 25-60 years of age.)

Daughters of Our Mother of Peace - Vinita Park, Missouri - accepts women 22-55 (link is to page on the Council of Major Superiors of Women Religious website).

Search for female communities accepting late vocations (religiouslife.com)

LilFlwr

I know of another community, the Benedictine Sisters of Elizabeth, NJ, an LCWR religious community (there may be more info about them on the LCWR website, not sure though) One of my friends told me they were accepting and looking for women in their upper 40's and 50's as she came across them when she was discerning religious life, as I don't believe now though by looking at their website if they have anyone in formation anymore. I have heard unfortunately five women left there in the past two years, and also that they are downsizing and possibly selling some of their property. They may not be accepting anymore vocations, as it looks like majority of their Sisters are older and it appears to be a smaller community. You can check out their website and see for yourself though. http://www.catholic-forum.com/bensisnj/

Sister Leticia
17 hours ago, LilFlwr said:

I know of another community, the Benedictine Sisters of Elizabeth, NJ, an LCWR religious community (there may be more info about them on the LCWR website, not sure though) One of my friends told me they were accepting and looking for women in their upper 40's and 50's as she came across them when she was discerning religious life, as I don't believe now though by looking at their website if they have anyone in formation anymore. I have heard unfortunately five women left there in the past two years, and also that they are downsizing and possibly selling some of their property. They may not be accepting anymore vocations, as it looks like majority of their Sisters are older and it appears to be a smaller community. You can check out their website and see for yourself though. http://www.catholic-forum.com/bensisnj/

LilFlwr - I looked at this community's website and saw that they are advertising 4 vocation discernment weekends over the coming year, so I don't understand why you think they might not be accepting new vocations? Yes, they don't seem to have anyone in initial formation, but the sisters are by no means ancient - some of them look like they're in their 40s and 50s, which is only middle-aged! 

Maybe you're repeating something someone told you, just as you "heard" that they might be downsizing. Please be careful about repeating hearsay in a public forum - especially any news which isn't yet public/official.

Btw, downsizing is not a bad thing in itself! Here in the UK we have a great example of this: Stanbrook Abbey, the monastery on which Rumer Godden based "In this House of Brede". Until about 10 years ago 30-40 nuns were rattling around in a HUGE old monastery which originally housed 100, and no doubt cost a fortune to heat and maintain. Now they live in a smaller, purpose-built eco-friendly monastery with a stunning chapel and views - https://www.stanbrookabbey.org.uk/ 

And no, they haven't lost any sense of life or purpose - and they continue to receive vocations (as well as interest and publicity about the monastery building and their way of life)

LilFlwr
8 hours ago, Sister Leticia said:

LilFlwr - I looked at this community's website and saw that they are advertising 4 vocation discernment weekends over the coming year, so I don't understand why you think they might not be accepting new vocations? Yes, they don't seem to have anyone in initial formation, but the sisters are by no means ancient - some of them look like they're in their 40s and 50s, which is only middle-aged! 

Maybe you're repeating something someone told you, just as you "heard" that they might be downsizing. Please be careful about repeating hearsay in a public forum - especially any news which isn't yet public/official.

Btw, downsizing is not a bad thing in itself! Here in the UK we have a great example of this: Stanbrook Abbey, the monastery on which Rumer Godden based "In this House of Brede". Until about 10 years ago 30-40 nuns were rattling around in a HUGE old monastery which originally housed 100, and no doubt cost a fortune to heat and maintain. Now they live in a smaller, purpose-built eco-friendly monastery with a stunning chapel and views - https://www.stanbrookabbey.org.uk/ 

And no, they haven't lost any sense of life or purpose - and they continue to receive vocations (as well as interest and publicity about the monastery building and their way of life)

Downsizing isn't a bad thing at all, lots of communities are doing that, especially in the U.S. One of my friends was discerning with them, and their vocation director told her they haven't been able to update their website since the 2003, so it might not be the most updated info. But that's okay because anyone interested can just contact them!

LilFlwr
34 minutes ago, LilFlwr said:

Downsizing isn't a bad thing at all, lots of communities are doing that, especially in the U.S. One of my friends was discerning with them, and their vocation director told her they haven't been able to update their website since the 2003, so it might not be the most updated info. But that's okay because anyone interested can just contact them!

Their pictures on the website hasn't been updated that's what I meant....Sr. Leticia is right, they do update their retreats.