An Old School Catholic Message Board

Any Traditional (EF) Apostolic/ Active communities for women?

aroc981

(This is my first time posting here btw so hi :))

I'm seriously discerning a vocation to religious life and have been for about 2 years. After some research I've honestly become very skeptical of some women's religious communities (I may be biased living in upatate NY/ based on the few religious I've spoken to, sorry!). I feel that I need to belong to a traditional order/ one that celebrates EF mass, but the only ones I know of are cloistered/ monastic. I've considered it, but I just think that an active community might be better for me personally? I'm not sure. It doesn't have to be EF, but if anyone knows of some more traditional communities that are also apostolic or semi-contemplative I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks so much !! +JMJ+

There are several, though they are fairly new:

Slaves of the Immaculate Heart of Mary.  They were irregular, but became canonically regular during the last year or two.  Still small, but growing (but that describes all of them on this list!).  I know a young sister here.  They are a lively and very active bunch of mostly teachers.

Labor Maria Sisters:  Practically brand new!  Working in the parish environment with families, but deeply contemplative.  Sr. M. Regina , L.M., Mater Divinae Gratiae Convent, 600 N. Liberty Street, Independence, MO  64050  St. Mary's Parish

Missionary Sisters of St. Francis of Assisi.    Also work in parishes, mostly with homeschool parents and teaching catechism.

Marian Sisters of Santa Rosa Not strictly EF.  They participate in the EF choir at the cathedral every Sunday and have the EF on some days during the week.  Work with parishes with catechism, retreats, formation groups, adult ed, etc.  

Sister Adorers of the Royal Heart of Jesus. Currently, they are located only in Italy, I think, but accepting U.S. candidates.  They intend to make a foundation in the U.S. when they get enough stable U.S. vocations.  I think they should be approaching that soon.  (Of course, soon is a relative term here.  I'm thinking in the next 5 years.)  Be patient when you contact them.  I understand they are slow!

That's my start... if I think of more, I will post them.

Sister Leticia

Hello and welcome!

I'm from the UK, but from over here, the US appears to have dozens of apostolic, conservative/traditonal orders. I believe there's a directory of them on the major superiors' website.

So, you have a lot of congregations to choose from. Several belong to the Dominican, Franciscan, Augustinian etc families. They vary in size from just a few sisters to several hundred, in age from a few years to 100+, and have a variety of ministries. So instead of thinking "where can I go?" you can stop, and - if you haven't already - spend some time considering things like -

Which spirituality most attracts you and resonates with your journey with/to God thus far

How and where your skills, gifts, education and experience could best be used for mission

Whether you feel you would thrive in a small, new, founding group - with all its challenges and uncertainties - or if it would be better for you to join somewhere more established

And so on. Then, with all that in mind, pray for true, deep openess to whatever God might desire for you, and start looking at the orders listed on the website.

Blessings on your journey!

@JHFamily

you're a Godsend, thank you!! That helps, I really appreciate it!

@Sister Leticia

Thank you for the advice (I definitely need it :sweat:).. It's been so hard to navigate all this, but I know God will lead me to where I'm supposed to be :) God bless you !!

Sponsa-Christi

The Carmelite Sisters in Los Angeles aren't EF at all, but they've kept a lot of the older traditional practices of religious life and have a more contemplative focus than a lot of other apostolic communities: https://carmelitesistersocd.com/

A bit closer to home if you're in New York state, the Parish Visitors of Mary Immaculate aren't really what I think most people would consider "traditional," but they are a really wonderful apostolic community that also puts a heavy emphasis on maintaining a contemplative spirit: https://www.parishvisitorsisters.org/ (And this shouldn't make or break your discernment, but the PVMI did recently change their habits to be more like the ones they originally had when they were founded in 1920.)

I think it is better to start by thinking about the spirituality and charism that resonates most with you. If you are very drawn to the Divine Office, for example, you could then look for apostolic Benedictine communities, as they tend to emphasise liturgical worship. If you are drawn strongly by poverty, look first at Franciscan communities. Once you are aware of what is most important to you, you can use this as a compass to help you find a few specific communities that you might want to get to know better.

I believe you will find some information from this thread:

http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/topic/132579-convents-with-the-latin-mass/

At a brief glance, it seems that many of the communities are contemplative, as you had mentioned.

I am wondering if the Sisters of Mary, Mother of the Church have the Latin Mass? They are apostolic, and were formerly SSPX. Might be worth checking out. 

https://sistersofmarymc.org/

truthfinder
5 hours ago, deusluxmea said:

I believe you will find some information from this thread:

http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/topic/132579-convents-with-the-latin-mass/

At a brief glance, it seems that many of the communities are contemplative, as you had mentioned.

I am wondering if the Sisters of Mary, Mother of the Church have the Latin Mass? They are apostolic, and were formerly SSPX. Might be worth checking out. 

https://sistersofmarymc.org/

Sorry to nitpick - they were CMRI which is sede vacantist (something which the SSPX is not).

6 hours ago, truthfinder said:

Sorry to nitpick - they were CMRI which is sede vacantist (something which the SSPX is not).

Thanks for correcting me, I should have done my research! 

Just want to make it clear, though, that the Sisters of Mary, Mother of the Church are now fully regularized and in communion with the Church.  You will find them in the diocesan directory.  It appears from the pictures that they are OF.  I didn't see any pictures of the EF at all.

2 hours ago, JHFamily said:

Just want to make it clear, though, that the Sisters of Mary, Mother of the Church are now fully regularized and in communion with the Church.  You will find them in the diocesan directory.  It appears from the pictures that they are OF.  I didn't see any pictures of the EF at all.

To complicate matters further--SOME Sisters of Mary, Mother of the Church are now fully regularized. But others are still part of the sede vacantist CMRIs. Be careful, should you choose to contact the community, that you do not contact this one, which is not in communion with the Catholic Church.

Edited to remove link. - beatitude.

5 hours ago, Nunsuch said:

To complicate matters further--SOME Sisters of Mary, Mother of the Church are now fully regularized. But others are still part of the sede vacantist CMRIs.  Be careful, should you choose to contact the community, that you do not contact this one, which is not in communion with the Catholic Church.

All Sisters of Mary, Mother of the Church are in communion with Rome. Their name is very different from that of the sedevacantist congregation they left, so there should be no confusion.