An Old School Catholic Message Board

Penance ideas

BarbTherese

Pope Francis has asked us to pray and do penance in reparation for the abuses in The Church, specifically sexual abuse; for the victims and for the perpetrators; for those who have covered up these crimes.  

I hold that prayer does not have to be lengthy and penance does not have to be severe.  Some may be blest to pray for long periods and undertake more severe penance (hopefully not without spiritual advice) and I give thanks for you.  I am not one of those souls, I am of the former.  The important thing to me is to make whatever I choose a commitment either daily or on certain days.......and stick to it and with an intention of reparation (while it is impossible to fully make reparation for these terrible crimes). I do not kick myself all around the place if I miss, sinner that I am - I say sorry, make an Act of Contrition and move on.

Humility is the foundation of all the virtues (St Augustine) and common sense is the guide of all the virtues (St Albert, Original Rule of Carmel) 

I thought I would start this thread so we can share ideas for penances, because I can find after a while what I have chosen has become habitual and not penitential at all.

1. Cut down on sugar
  2. Period of time without the internet and phones
  3. Day or days without meat

What I have personally undertaken is the Rosary in Open Mic and one sugar instead of two.  I am getting used to one sugar now and am thinking of adding a day abstaining from meat.

Humility is the foundation of all the other virtues hence, in the soul in which this virtue does not exist there cannot be any other virtue except in mere appearance. (Saint Augustine)

Please share your penances and prayer ideas..............

Ash Wednesday

Spending less time on the internet is a good idea. Even if it's just 20 minutes to say a rosary.

I may consider adding a day of fasting to my week and going by the church guidelines (one meal a day, and two smaller meals which if added together would not exceed the main meal). But this could prove to be particularly challenging to me because I get "hangry"... :burger:

A holy hour in front of the Blessed Sacrament.

For those homebound or unable to attend in person, there are online means, as below.  Online is not the same as personal attendance, but The Lord understands the reason you are there online in the first place.  The online Daily Mass (from Australia), which I try to post daily into my thread in Open Mic on Private Vows/Spirituality, takes about 20 mins of one's day.

One could switch off the internet and phone for a period.  I like to paint when I have paints and inspiration.  I also will colour in Adult Coloring Books.  There are craft often acquired cheaply, knitting, crocheting.   I frame my adult colouring in with $2-$6 frames at the Reject Shop.  There may be other occupations while the internet is off............clean out a cupboard etc. etc.  Do some ironing, a bit of gardening, dusting (I hate dusting and would be a jolly good penance for me - I just thought of it) etc.

SOME POTENTIAL SELECTIONS:

Something else I thought of as Prayer is something from The Hours and you can use Universalis http://universalis.com/  I like to use Universalis nowadays.   Ordo's are quite expensive here and I only have the one volume Prayers from The Divine Office.  Universalis has the correct Office for the day and all the Hours. 

The first thing you would need to do is to go to Settings - end of left column and choose your particular Calendar.  That way, each time you open Universalis, it will open on the correct current day for you.

Morning and Night Prayer around 20 mins.  Little Hours (Terce Sext None) around 10 mins each.  Night Prayer - 7 mins approx.  I don't pray the Hours exceptionally slow nor quick.  A normal attentive praying pace - and probably varies for each individual.

For a quick Examen nightly, I use https://www.ignatianspirituality.com/19076/examen-prayer-card   It can take as long or as short as one chooses.

Universalis will also show the Mass Readings & Gospel for the day.  I like to us the USCCB Video Daily Reflection (about 8 mins or so) http://www.usccb.org/bible/reflections/