An Old School Catholic Message Board

WATCH: Pope Francis Gets Caught in Gigantic Lie Regarding a Sexual Abuse Case in Argentina

On 9/20/2018 at 6:00 PM, Ice_nine said:

as a perhaps future psychologist, I take a wee bit offense to this. It's important to understand though that it is a soft science (as all social sciences are) because your frame of reference is pretty dependent on social norms, values, etc at the time whereas the hard sciences are based much more on physical and chemical laws which are less prone to cultural bias.

But hey I'm not that offended so it's your right to have that opinion.

I'd say, at least in America, it's my right to have that opinion regardless of how offended you are.  But I don't think you meant for that comment to come out that way...  At least I hope you didn't.  

Seriously, though, I do feel that modern psychology is of the devil.  I'm sure there is some truth in it (to what degree I don't know), and I agree it's definitely not the same as physical sciences.  But just the fact that it's a 'soft' science should maybe give us a clue that it shouldn't be used as much as it is.

With that said, I do believe that the moral outcome of psychology (by that I mean where it falls as a moral good vs evil) is largely dependent on how it's used by individual psychologists.  To that end, I sincerely wish you good luck in your endeavors, and if you do become a psychologist, I hope the system becomes better for it.

No I didn't mean it to sound bad at all. You're welcome to your opinion. I would say that many psychologists adhere to atheistic materialism or hippie-dippie new agey stuff so I get it. But a lot of scientists are materialists and/or atheist. And people use the sciences for evil things (the Manhattan Project for an easy example). Does that mean it's of the devil? I don't think so.

There are some applications of psychology that are more empirical (like neuroscience) and more that are more of an art form (clinical work), so I don't think its definition as a soft-science means it is not useful. But again, your exposure to the science has likely been different than mine. I suspect your only exposure is likely whatever makes the popular press?

Freud was coked out of his mind. He had some wonderful insights, but he was a little bit whacko too.

I do thank God for psychiatry and medication, for psychology - while it was a long road and with a couple of not so welcome psychiatrists, psychologists and medication along the way.   In the long run, where would I have been without the latter!  Where would I be today without them!  My Faith has not suffered because of my treatments, rather it has been enriched.

I only ever had one Catholic psychiatrist and I would need much more than ten fingers to count how many in my journey to date.

Signed: ABDS (A Bipolar Disorder Sufferer)

2 hours ago, Ice_nine said:

Freud was coked out of his mind. He had some wonderful insights, but he was a little bit whacko too.

:hehe2:

.............Yep, just a little bit whacko to be kind........

Edited by BarbaraTherese