An Old School Catholic Message Board

Reformed Catholics

Robyn

yeah I think THAT's what I meant.

If that's what you meant, then I'm a "reformed Catholic" sometimes. There's a charismatic Catholic church near me I'll attend from time to time. We're all the same. The only difference is really the "style" of worship. For example, some churches have a single organ, some have a full choir, and some have a whole band-like setup, complete with drums and electric guitars.

That's why it's so great being Catholic! Regardless of your style, the mass is essentially the same, and we all believe the same doctrines and look to the authority of the pope, through Christ.

God bless.

I understand what he means. There are those Catholics who attend Mass faithfully and live their lives faithfully serving as best they can in faith. There are also Catholic who have a life changing experience that deepens their faith such that they have a zeal for the faith. It is a kind of baptism or awakening of the Holy Spirit in them. I have never heard of it as reformed Catholics and don't particularly like the term. My preference is to call it an awakening of the spirit within them. The US Council of Catholic Bishops has a pamphlet out on the subject though I don't remember the title. I think this is the basis for some of the Charismatic stuff going on in the last 40 years. Personally the Lord has done great things for me in the last 5 years. Prior to that time I would have put myself in the category of the faithful Catholic except for a couple of hiatuses where I did not live my faith.

Blessings

No, but is there anyone here who grew up from a non-catholic/christian family... was an atheist for their lives, got to 20 and found out about Jesus and became a catholic?

and if so, what then? cos they weren't baptised as babies. is it too late?

I was raised in the Baptist and Presbyterian churches. I was baptized Presbyterian, which is what my immediate family is. I was never an atheist, but I did convert to Catholicism at age 18 (I'm 27 and a half now).

If someone isn't baptized as a baby and then wants to become Catholic, the Church will baptize them regardless of the fact that they're adults.

Dave,

I think that you meant that if a person was never baptized, then the Church will baptize them when they convert. The church recognizes baptisims done in the name of the Trinity, regardless of denomination. I was not rebaptized when I converted.

peace...

I think that you meant that if a person was never baptized, then the Church will baptize them when they convert. The church recognizes baptisims done in the name of the Trinity, regardless of denomination. I was not rebaptized when I converted.

When I referred to those who weren't baptized as a baby, I was inDouche referring to those who were never baptized at all. I know the Church recognizes Trinitarian baptisms from other denominations. I ought to know; my baptism was in another denomination too.