An Old School Catholic Message Board

Justification By Faith

Cure of Ars

OKay so you say you follow it, so why the extra added doctrine that isn't in the Bible???

See, I follow the Bible too, so we obviously have a different bible.

cmotherofpirl

OKay so you say you follow it, so why the extra added doctrine that isn't in the Bible???

what extra doctrine?

so blind... so blind...

well this article claims that Martin Luther was a bad fella...

there would also be an article claiming he is a good fella out there too....

they would both be biased...

an unbiased article would not claim whether he was good or bad.

ie... unbiased...

is that understandable, or should i draw a picture for you?

Please quote where it says that Martin Luther was a bad fella. I must of missed that part.

i donno, how about things like praying to the saints, umm that mary shmiz stuff, the rosay, even the Eucharist, um purgatory, confessions, baptisms as babies, confirmations, umm i'm sure i could find other stuff.

the Catholic Old Testament is what Jesus and the Apostles used.

It's the Septuagint. From 293 BC

The kjv and niv uses the Massorah from 90 AD

Every Christian on earth used the Septuagint until the kjv.

The Catholic Church did not add... the kjv took away.

God Bless,

ironmonk

(i can get more detailed if you like, but that's the short of it)

i donno, how about things like praying to the saints, umm that mary shmiz stuff, the rosay, even the Eucharist, um purgatory, confessions, baptisms as babies, confirmations, umm i'm sure i could find other stuff.

All of it is on

http://www.ScriptureCatholic.com

Please visit that sight now, before you post again... please.... pretty please with sugar on top....

Most of that is in Scripture.....

;)

ironmonk

Edited by ironmonk

Thing is though, you guys have ALL this doctrine and I cannot for the life of me find this doctrine in the Word of God. Now don't you all start going on about how the church came before the bible okay... because i stand firmly on the fact that we must follow the Scriptures, and that it's God inspired etc etc.

If I can show you three doctrines that you believe that is not in the Bible will you embrace Catholic Tradition? You have a double standered when it comes to thinking that everything that you hold comes from the Bible because clearly it does not.

Edited by Cure of Ars

Also, Purgatory does not come from the Catholic Church... it comes from the Jewish faith, before Christ.

Look up Rosh Hasshana and Kaddish on a jewish website.

So the real question is, why do other deny purgatory?

God Bless,

ironmonk

well there is alot in that website so I haven't really read it properly, but maybe if i find some time tonight i'll sit down and read it all :)

If I can show you three doctrines that you believe that is not in the Bible will you embrace Catholic Tradition?  You have a double standered when it comes to thinking that everything that you hold comes from the Bible because clearly it does not.

what do you mean? If you can proove it to me that it is in the bible?

I wouldn't take on the catholic tradition until I see that all doctrine, every single one right down to the tiny smidgen.... is in the bible.

If I can show you three doctrines that you believe that is not in the Bible will you embrace Catholic Tradition?  You have a double standered when it comes to thinking that everything that you hold comes from the Bible because clearly it does not.

My impression is that she was introduced to Christianity through the bible, and the bible is all she has been given... <chik, please correct me if I'm wrong>

Cure, read 847 to get the gist of what I'm saying...

Chik,

Thank you for taking a look... and thank you for coming here to learn about us.

Many of us are use to dealing with belligerent anti-Catholics... (not saying we have a lot of those here, but many of us are active on other boards also).

When you get time, please visit that site and spend some time, also, have your bible next to you so you can look things up.

Other really good sites to learn about the Catholic faith are:

http://www.Catholic-Pages.com

http://www.NewAdvent.org

http://www.USCCB.org

http://www.Catholic.com

http://www.Catholicity.com

http://www.MoralTruth.com (my site :) )

God Bless,

ironmonk

Actually I wasn't introduced to christianity through the bible. :) I had a weird conversion experiance... :)

The first time I read the bible was a week after becoming a christian.

thanks ironmonk for being helpful... I'll look up those sites when I can sit down properly and read it :) If i read it now it'd be a rush job.

What I am saying is that you hold doctrines that are not in the Bible, the same thing that you are accusing us of. For example show me an example were the Holy Spirit is prayed too in the Bible. Show me from the Bible what books belong in the Bible. Show me from the Bible where it says that the Bible is our only authority. Did you know that the authorship of some of the books of the Bible come from Catholic tradition. Where in the Bible does it say that cloning is wrong? Where in the Bible does it go over the details of how we are to worship on Sunday. Show me from the Bible that we are to worship on Sunday and not Saturday. The truth is that the Bible does not go through and explain everything because it is not made to be a catechism. It presupposes that apostolic tradition will fill in the gaps. And like it or not you are following a tradition that does just that.

There is one doctrine that once you accept it you are obligated to believe the rest. If the Catholic is the Church that Jesus established with the teaching authority given to it by Christ then you are obligated to believe the rest. We are not the measuring stick for truth. You see the truth does not change depending on the person who reads the Bible. Instead we conform ourselves to Jesus' truth. Protestants practice a type of relativism. The truth is relative to who interprets the Bible and everyone is given this personal role. This is not the case for the Catholic. The truth is objective and it is not based on our personally understanding. This is one of the reasons that I am not Protestant. I trust not on my own understanding but on the pillar and foundation of truth, the church (1 Tim 3:15).

You got heart you freaky chic. Never loose this. God bless

Edited by Cure of Ars