An Old School Catholic Message Board

When Birth Control Is Not Birth Control

1337 k4th0l1x0r

1337 k4th0l1x0r

I'm in agreement 100% with the Magesterium on the issue of birth control, but what is the stance on when birth control pills are used by women who are not sexually active. I've heard that women who take acne control medication are required to take birth control pills by law and that birth control pills also help women acheive a regular cycle.

I agree that if a woman is married, she should not take the acne medication or use some other means to acheive a regular cycle, but for the unmarried chaste woman, is it okay for her to take birth control pills?

EcceNovaFacioOmni

If a remember correctly, this question was answered "yes" by some forum members a while ago. There are other reasons however, that taking the pill is not reccomended. Somebody else will know more.

The Church doesn't oppose taking birth control pills by unmarried chaste women to help regulate their cycles and whatnot. However, considering the health problems that the Pill can cause, I'd say it's not wise to take it for any reason.

littleflower+JMJ

i would recommend telling the doctor that you wish to take something else to help since most of the time you dont have to take birth control to "help" you, its just what the doctors like to hand out like candy to fix "everything" when i think it really doesn't.

i consider birthcontrol dangerous to use whenver its taken. so its not very good to use.....

i know if you tell your doctor you dont want to take BC, they can find you something else, its just that most of the time they wont' tell you "your options"

tho its not immoral, i still think its not healthy since it could be causing more damage then help in the long run

1337 k4th0l1x0r

Yeah, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, but I know some people who were considering doing this. From what I understand though the acne medication can cause bad side effects as well such as severe dehydration, drying out of eyes (and even contact lenses drying onto the eyeball), and hair loss.

1337 k4th0l1x0r

I'm not really speaking of a situation where the birth control pill is used to cure acne (this is really more of a side effect), but I'm talking about cases where the doctors prescribe a medicine to treat the acne and they are also required by law to prescribe birth control pills.

crusader1234

Well unless the birth control pills that could save a life... but thats still really the patients option

Birth control pills / and other hormonal regulators are often used to treat endometriosis in women ... a very serious condition that can cause infertility and/or sterilty. As with any medication it is best to research treatments with a medical professional that you trust. All medications have side effects. I speak from experience, and I'll leave it at that.

They should obviously not be used as birth control.

As a side note, you DO NOT have to take birth control when you're on acne medication. My sister is on medicine for acne and she is not required to take birth control. Her doctor never even mentioned it to her. She uses an acne med plus a cream and her skin looks great.

Since many types of birth control are abortifacients, they leave lasting results in the body. I would recommend that a woman not take them at least months before she is intending to have sex.