An Old School Catholic Message Board

Punishment As A Child

ironmonk

What kind of punishment you have growing up?  

79 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

My father pulled my pants down and spanked me bum really hard.

If I used bad language my mom would put soap in my mouth and make me use listerene.

But I love listerene now.

Edited by MC Just

I was never spanked, neither were any of my siblings, but we knew right from wrong, and if we crossed the line we got put in our rooms in time out.

conservativecatholic

[quote name='God Conquers' date='Jul 6 2003, 09:50 PM'] My parents are the best disciplinarians. They need not use anything as negative as slapping, yelling, time-outs etc. They brought us up with great love, and with knowledge of what is right and wrong. When we do something wrong, their dissapointment is more earth shattering than any beating. Hurting someone you love is the worst feeling in the world, and it's just that, love, knowledge (and a stern word here and there) which creates the best kind of discipline. [/quote]
Agreed. My parents never believed in hitting. How can children develop respect for their parents when abuse is a way of life? And yes, physical abuse of the body includes spankings. I've never been spanked in my life. I'm a devout Roman Catholic, an Eagle Scout, and a Drum Major. I think I've done quite well without spankings. It is bologna when parents say, "Spankings are necessary for children to learn what's right and wrong." I am not a spolied brat. I give to the poor, I do many hours of community service and I'm an altar server. Spankings cause fear, which should not be the ultimate goal of parents. I'm 16 and proud of not being spanked! :)

Don John of Austria

I got slaped only once, I deserved it, enough said. I was spankedd and sent to my room, never grounded though; my parents wisely followed the " lets try not to punish ourselve while were punishing the children approach" and I never really was "that bad". Still I intend to spank and sent to the room or to a corer or whatever it takes, so that my Child in not like 60% of those I see everyday when I go to work.

:wacko: thoguh i may have a few loose screws i'm very thankful i got dicsiplined as a child, it really taught me to show respect and that my parents meant buisness

I was smacked, sometimes on the head...never too hard though.

I was also grounded. The only time I remember though is when my brother and I invited two of our neighbors over to our house when my parents weren't home and one of my neighbors broke his arm. My brother wanted me to lie about it, but I convinced him that my mom would find out when she saw Brent walking around with a broken arm. I was right, next morning she found out.

I was always spanked. One time my parents tried time-out, but that didn't work. Dad usually did it. She did slap me once though, on my face. Dad normally used his hand on my bare bottom, but I have been spanked with a switch.
One time I had been really really bad, and I got a heck of a spanking with a switch that I'll never forget. I bled and couldn't hardely sit down for a week without being sore. But, I learned my lesson, thank goodness.

IcePrincessKRS

[quote name='Don John of Austria' date='Jul 23 2004, 05:08 PM'] I got slaped only once, I deserved it, enough  said. I was spankedd and  sent to my room, never grounded though; my parents wisely followed the " lets try not to punish ourselve while were punishing the children approach" and I never really was "that bad".  Still I intend to spank and sent to the room or to a corer or whatever it takes, so that my Child in not like 60% of those I see everyday when I go to work. [/quote]
That pretty much describes how it went in my family growing up. I can honestly say that I deserved every spanking I got except one. lol I am proud to say that I think its the discipline that I got that has helped make me the person I am today. My family has always been full of love, we were taught what was right and wrong, and if we did what we knew was wrong we got the punishment we deserved. Time out in my room never really worked for me, though, because I preferred to be there (as was the case for most of us, that or outside, because if we were hidden away there we could get out of doing chores). The better punishment was a spanking and to make me clean something or do laundry--and when you have 12 kids in your family theres plenty if it! We never had bruises or welts, it was NOT abuse.

I will spank my daughter if I have to. Now, at almost a year old, if she is naughty she gets a flick on the back of her hand and a stern "No" to show her that what she is doing is wrong (if there is anything less she continues the "bad" behavior--mainly this is things which are for her own good, like staying away from electrical outlets). We don't freak out and beat her, but she has already learned that some things are unacceptable and she doesn't do them. Hopefully she won't ever need discipline harsher than that. And before anyone jumps down my throat, she is not afraid of us, nor does she get any less love just because we flick her hand.

I will never judge anyone for spanking or not spanking, I only ask that the same courtesy be extended to those of us who do decide to spank. I am sure no one meant it this way but I feel that a couple posts are "looking down upon" those of us who think its the right thing to do. (I know many are just sharing their experiences and thats cool, its just a couple key phrases that got under my skin.)

A few quotes and sources in defense of those of us who think it is best to spank:

[quote]As to punishing a child, simply because Proverbs warns of sparing the rod we need not be literalists and insist that some weapon be used for punishment. A simple spanking can be discipline enough without using something that may physically or psychologically damage a child. Your mother-in-law sees a biblical basis for what she says but this needs to be nuanced, in my opinion. Otherwise, it becomes fundamentalism--interpretation without appropriate distinctions.

Father Echert
[url="http://www.ewtn.com/vexperts/showresult.asp?RecNum=346119&Forums=0&Experts=0&Days=3000&Author=&Keyword=spanking&pgnu=1&groupnum=0"]http://www.ewtn.com/vexperts/showresult.as...nu=1&groupnum=0[/url]
[/quote]

[quote]Spanking
Question from Conscientous Parent on 09-20-2000: 
Hello, Father
Thank you and Glory to God! I am wondering about the "spare the rod, spoil the child". I've read in other instances that it is acceptable to spank. I'm wondering though, if it is a requirement. Can a Catholic parent implement "time-out" or loss of privilege soley and plan to never spank as punishment?

Conscientous Mom

Answer by Fr.Stephen F. Torraco on 09-20-2000: 
There is no moral principle that I know of that requires you to spank your children. AS parents, it is your responsibility to determine how best to raise your children in faith and morals.

[url="http://www.ewtn.com/vexperts/showresult.asp?RecNum=355488&Forums=0&Experts=0&Days=3000&Author=&Keyword=spanking&pgnu=1&groupnum=0"]http://www.ewtn.com/vexperts/showresult.as...nu=1&groupnum=0[/url] [/quote]

[url="http://www.new-life.net/faq616.htm"]http://www.new-life.net/faq616.htm[/url]

[quote]
Corporal punishment
Question from Wondering on 09-16-2001: 
I am watching this movie, "Heaven Help Us," from 1985. It depicts the life of "St Basil's," a Catholic school in Brooklyn, circa 1965. Does anyone know that this is based on anything "real?" The robes of the priests look like Francsicans, but I have heard that the Christian Brothers used to "knock" students around. Some of the "punishments" meted out to students by the priests seem horrific. Why did Catholic schools used to rely on corporal punishment so much? It seems unChristian. 

Answer by Fr. Robert J. Levis on 09-20-2001: 
Sorry, Wondering, I am not aware of this movie. I for one was often "treated" by my parents as a kid. My dear Mother struck first, then sometimes explained. And I needed it, generally. Biblical Proverbs highly recommends it, at times. Of course, it must never be excessive. Fr. Bob Levis 
[url="http://www.ewtn.com/vexperts/showresult.asp?RecNum=330535&Forums=0&Experts=0&Days=3000&Author=&Keyword=corporal+punishment&pgnu=1&groupnum=0"]http://www.ewtn.com/vexperts/showresult.as...nu=1&groupnum=0[/url] [/quote]

Edited by IcePrincessKRS

I used to get spanked and grounded- I was a problem child :) but now im more mature- i dont think i could ever hit my kids- ill just take away privilages and or ground them

daugher-of-Mary

I can only remember being spanked once, mostly because by the time I showed up there were two other kids keeping mum and dad busy! Plus my little sister is pretty close in age, and she has a FIERY temper that comes with being red-headed I guess, so she got most of it. lol. I think spanking, swats and stuff are are a good thing. None of us kids were ever afraid of my parents, but a good healthy dose of respect goes a long way!

homeschoolmom

Discipline is my least favorite thing about parenting... <sigh> Probably everyone's... It's hard.... hard... hard... fortunately, my children are pretty obedient... usually a look is all that's needed... (but not always...)

I was spanked only a few times when I was quite young like under 7. then my parents didn't like doing that so they sent me to my room quite a bit.