An Old School Catholic Message Board

How The Bible Was Inspired

cmotherofpirl

I would like all the non-catholics here to explain to me why they consider the Bible inspired.

THe answer that because it says so is not acceptable.

THe answer because the Holy Spirit tells me so is also unacceptaable.

I want actual reasons, not subjective stuff.

:)

nope.

People say the Bible is inspired because it says so.

WEll the Koran and the Book of Mormon say the same thing.

All claim the Holy Spirit told them this.

I am curious how a non-catholic answers this.

mulls, is it unreasonable to expect someone belonging to a 2000-year old religion to know at least a little about its history? The patriarchs and matriarchs, prophets, Christ, Virgin Mary, apostles, saints, popes, and church fathers were all historical figures, so it's only natural that a full understanding of Christianity would entail at least a moderate understanding of history. There are plenty of books of church history. Pick one up and give it a try. Get a Protestant one if you like. Either way you're going to be better off than being ignorant in this regard.

is this another example of somebody having to be a history major to believe in Jesus?

Well, mulls, the late John Henry Cardinal Newman said it best when he said, "To be steeped in history is to cease to be Protestant." No, that doesn't mean you have to be a history major. However, you need to study the history of the Catholic Church as opposed to the history of Protestant churches. Not one of the latter can trace its way back to Jesus Christ. But don't take my word for it. Look up some GOOD CATHOLIC sources to see for yourself. I mean, you want to know what the Catholic Church teaches and why, and yet you refuse to consider the possibility that you may be wrong and the Church may be right. If you truly want to learn, you have to swallow your pride. If you don't do that, then you're not really learning anything.

yet you refuse to consider the possibility that you may be wrong and the Church may be right. If you truly want to learn, you have to swallow your pride. If you don't do that, then you're not really learning anything.

putting words in my mouth a bit, aren't we?

ReformationNow

Because the Bible says so! :D

It's historically accurate, and continues to be proved correct by historians and archaelogists.

The prophecies of scripture always come to pass.

It's scientifically accurate. An amazing feat for a 'book' that was written during a time when people considered the earth to be flat.

No matter how much it's enemies try to discredit it, Scripture always prevails.

Even tho it's been around 1900 years since the last author of any book of Scripture lived, amazingly, it's still around. It took over 1500 years, and many different authors to complete the Bible. And amazingly, it doesn't contradict itself.

I'm sure there's more, but it's 3:30 in the AM, I got off work a little bit ago, and I'm too tired to think. I'll try again later.

THe answer because the Holy Spirit tells me so is also unacceptaable.

Are you denying the power of the holy spirit???? Are you denying the authority of the Holy Spirit???? Are you denying the reality of the Holy spirit in our lives???

Mat 12:32 Anyone who says something against the Son of Man can be forgiven; but whoever says something against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven---now or ever.

Might be better for you if the bible was just a bunch of mumbo-jumbo.....

Now as for having to prove everything to you....

Mar 10:15 I assure you that whoever does not receive the Kingdom of God like a child will never enter it."

You try to complicate things too much. Don't replace faith with doctrine....

Steve,

It seems to be you who is placing Doctrine above faith.

What is your response to this one question: Why are there so many different and contradictory interpretations of Scripture when all the holders of conflicting belief claim the Holy Spirit has led them to the 'correct' discernment?"

putting words in my mouth a bit, aren't we?

Not at all. I'm just going by things you've said in previous threads, many of which have shown the type of attitude you have toward Catholicism.

People I said non catholics only please!

((pounds the table))

Sorry, cmom. :( But as you've seen, when we as Catholics see non-Catholics get stuff wrong, we feel we have a duty to correct them.

But it's cool; I'll make this my last post in this thread. :P