An Old School Catholic Message Board

Me Sin?

Dave

ME SIN ?

Peter and Paul Ministries

Sin in our politically correct society is not only tolerated but is celebrated. Behavior that would have invoked public scorn just a few decades ago now earns praise and adulation. One need only look at how the world extols the licentious escapades of the Hollywood jet set to understand how much our moral compass has eroded. Quite frankly, we have grown so accustomed to sin that we no longer view it as an affront before God.

Unfortunately, this loss of the understanding of sin can also be observed in the many parishes across the United States. Everyone seeks to receive Holy Communion, yet barely anyone needs to have their sins forgiven in the sacrament of confession. The belief many Catholics maintain today is, "I have not sinned, so why do I need confession?" The Bible states, "If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins: He is faithful and just, to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all iniquity" (1 John 1:8)

Apparently, Catholics are perfect and no longer break any of the Ten Commandments or commit any of the seven deadly sins - (pride, lust, envy, sloth, gluttony, anger, and greed). The idea that people no longer sin raises a perplexing question. Why did the Son of God suffer and die on the cross? Was it to open the doors of heaven, forgive sin, and save us from the clutches of Satan or did He come to save us from high cholesterol and low self esteem?

"Therefore, who ever thinks he is standing

secure should take care not to fall."(1 Cor 10: 12)

CatholicAndFanatical

Amen to that Dave. Its easy to get into that routine of not thinking of sin the way it really is, because society today is shoving non moral things down our throat.

Good read my friend, its good to make some people aware of this.

CatholicAndFanatical

Most people today think if they haven't down anything major ( steal, kill, lie, cheat) that they have not committed any mortal sins worth confessing.

It's so easy to justify our wrongful choices...but when we meet the Just Judge, we will not be able to excuse our choices in the face of Perfect Truth.

I won't be able to say, "But Lord, the other guy provoked me..." "But Lord, I was in a bad mood..."

I should think of that more often! :unsure: