An Old School Catholic Message Board

I'm Worthy To Recieve You?

Paladin D

When my mom was going to Mass, right before the Priest started handing out the Eucharist...everyone would say something along the lines of...

"Lord I am not worthy to recieve you, but say the word and I shall be healed"

...however, she takes away the "not". I asked why and she replied how she's a child of God, therefore she is worthy. And went on to say, that using the phrase "I am not worthy" is putting a curse on one's self.

Your thoughts? Anything I can say to her?

sinners are NOT worthy. We are all sinners. It is a humility thing. Christ say's we are worthy (and to an extent, we are). But how can we justify calling ourselves worthy when we hammered Christ to the Cross! And we continue to everytime we sin!

Trooper4DaHolyG

I like what your mum does, but I do agree with Jake to an extent. Jesus has wiped away the guilt and it sometimes seems like we are sinning by purposely putting it back on to us and saying. I am not worthy... the process can be a making one worthy one but really living in Victory is what we are called to do!

I like what your mum does, but I do agree with Jake to an extent. Jesus has wiped away the guilt and it sometimes seems like we are sinning by purposely putting it back on to us and saying. I am not worthy... the process can be a making one worthy one but really living in Victory is what we are called to do!

Did we deserve to have Jesus die for us? No. Do we deserve to have Him love us so much? No. But He did, and He does. Therefore, despite His victory, how can we ever call ourselves worthy of it?

I have no idea why you are picking apart my post you are meant to be commenting on the original....

This is a thread, so we comment on ANYTHING relevant that has been brought up in the thread. I found your post relevant enough to comment on it. Be flattered! :P

Trooper4DaHolyG

coool! well i have a lot of relevant posts then!

shucks! :lol: i am flattered...

in reply 2 ur post:

Are we not more than conquerors?, lets not have big heads, but lets not weaken ourselves either...

coool! well i have a lot of relevant posts then!

shucks!  :lol:  i am flattered...

in reply 2 ur post:

Are we not more than conquerors?, lets not have big heads, but lets not weaken ourselves either...

God has given us the means to conquer in Jesus Christ, true. But it's not making ourselves weak to say we're not worthy. In the letters of Paul, you'll see at times he describes himself as the worst of sinners. We need to be humble enough to recognize ourselves as poor sinners saved only by the blood of Jesus. And we can't run the race of our own power; we gotta rely on the Lord. If we COULD do all that by our own power, then we WOULD be worthy. But we can't.

Trooper4DaHolyG

very true Dave, it is a case of Humbleness....

in light of the original topic. I still have no problem with it, I guess for me there are pros and cons 2 both sides...

Sorry, but nobody is worthy of recieving Jesus Christ. None of us deserve the blessing we recieve, they are entirely unmerited.

When we say it correctly we are having our venial sins forgiven by Jesus, directly before Communion. Why give up such an opportunity?

Paladin, that portion of the Liturgy of the Eucharist is the centurion's prayer found most profoundly in Matthew 8:5-13 (I won't post the quote as I mean for you to take the initiative and grow closer to the Lord in studying His word). Just remind your mother that it is by the centurion's humility and by submitting to the authority of Christ that the Lord heals his servant and praises the centurion for his faith (remeber, the centurion is a Roman and thus a pagan and yet the Lord has "never seen such faith in all of Israel"). It is through our humility and submissiveness to the Most High that we are deemed worthy to receive Him. "For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but one who has similarly been tested in every way, yet without sin" Hebrews 4:15. Christ knows what we are going through in our daily temptations, Hebrews says he has been there Himself, yet without sin; we are not without sin. "...Work out your salvation with fear and trembling," Phil. 2:12. "Serve the Lord with fear; with trembling bow down in homage...Happy are all who take refuge in God!" Psalm 2:11. I think you get the point but the theme here is humility, humility, and yes you've guessed it, humility. Hope this helps.

Peace, Wisdom, and Love in Christ always:

Chadd Christopher

"Warrior" "Christbearer"

INRIWarrior3

Edited by INRIWarrior3