An Old School Catholic Message Board

Was St. Paul Martyred?

Theologian in Training

Theologian in Training

In my Pauline class today the professor brought up a very interesting speculation about St. Paul's death. Remember though, this is speculative, and not definitive, just an interesting observation, if you can call it that.

Based on Acts we know that it ends by saying that Paul spent two years someplace, yet we don't have any idea what exactly happened after that.

Today in class we were given a proposal that he may have been beheaded in like fashion to John the Baptist. The reasoning behind this is based upon a couple of sources external to the bible itself.

First, in one of the Letters of Ignatius of Antioch to the Ephesians he refers to a martyrdom that Paul suffered

"Ye are initiated into the mysteries of the Gospel with Paul, the holy, the martyred, the deservedly most happy, at whose feet may I be found, when I shall attain to God; who in all his Epistles makes mention of you in Christ Jesus."

Letter to the Ephesians by Ignatius of Antioch

Second, in the year 185-190, give or take, there was a certain writing called "The Acts of Paul" that was written by an unknown author. In it there is clear indication that Paul was martyred at the hands of Nero. However, the problem is that at parts the text is a bit outlandish which is why it was not included in the canon of the bible.

It is too long to quote, so follow this link and scroll down to the section on martydom

Further, there is indication in Tertullian's work, "On Prescription Against Heretics" (Ch 36) that Paul suffered martydom in the same fashion as St. John the Baptist.

"How happy is its church, on which apostles poured forth all their doctrine along with their blood! where Peter endures a passion like his Lord's! where Paul wins his crown in a death like John's where the Apostle John was first plunged, unhurt, into boiling oil, and thence remitted to his island-exile!"

Tertullian

Finally, in Eusebius' "Church History" Book II (Ch 22) there is also indication that Paul, upon his waiting for death, wrote 2 Timothy and shortly afterwards was martyred at the command of Nero.

follow the link here.

Remember this is all speculative, because there is no exact way of proving it all, but an interesting theory nonetheless.

God Bless

Edited by Theologian in Training

Theologian,

Part of the belief in St. Paul's beheading is that he was a citizen of the Roman Empire. Up til that time, actuall citizens were beheaded, rather than crucified or fed to wild animals.

Just something else to think about.

peace...

Theologian in Training

Theologian,

Part of the belief in St. Paul's beheading is that he was a citizen of the Roman Empire.  Up til that time, actuall citizens were beheaded, rather than crucified or fed to wild animals. 

Just something else to think about.

peace...

Never thought about that either. Thanks for the info.

God Bless

I tend to trust the CAtholic encyclopedia far more than any professor:

Ancient tradition makes it possible to establish the following points: (1) Paul suffered martyrdom near Rome at a place called Aquae Salviae (now Tre Fontane), somewhat east of the Ostian Way, about two miles from the splendid Basilica of San Paolo fuori le mura which marks his burial place. (2) The martyrdom took place towards the end of the reign of Nero, in the twelfth year (St. Epiphanius), the thirteenth (Euthalius), or the fourteenth (St. Jerome). (3) According to the most common opinion, Paul suffered in the same year and on the same day as Peter; several Latin Fathers contend that it was on the same day but not in the same year; the oldest witness, St. Dionysius the Corinthian, says only kata ton auton kairon, which may be translated "at the same time" or "about the same time". (4) From time immemorial the solemnity of the Apostles Peter and Paul has been celebrated on 29 June, which is the anniversary either of their death or of the translation of their relics. Formerly the pope, after having pontificated in the Basilica of St. Peter, went with his attendants to that of St. Paul, but the distance between the two basilicas (about five miles) rendered the double ceremony too exhausting, especially at that season of the year. Thus arose the prevailing custom of transferring to the next day (30 June) the Commemoration of St. Paul. The feast of the Conversion of St. Paul (25 January) is of comparatively recent origin. There is reason for believing that the day was first observed to mark the translation of the relics of St. Paul at Rome, for so it appears in the Hieronymian Martyrology. It is unknown to the Greek Church (Dowden, "The Church Year and Kalendar", Cambridge, 1910, 69; cf. Duchesne, "Origines du culte chrétien", Paris, 1898, 265-72; McClure, "Christian Worship", London, 1903, 277-81).

Theologian in Training

I tend to trust the CAtholic encyclopedia far more than any professor:

Ancient tradition makes it possible to establish the following points: (1) Paul suffered martyrdom near Rome at a place called Aquae Salviae (now Tre Fontane), somewhat east of the Ostian Way, about two miles from the splendid Basilica of San Paolo fuori le mura which marks his burial place. (2) The martyrdom took place towards the end of the reign of Nero, in the twelfth year (St. Epiphanius), the thirteenth (Euthalius), or the fourteenth (St. Jerome). (3) According to the most common opinion, Paul suffered in the same year and on the same day as Peter; several Latin Fathers contend that it was on the same day but not in the same year; the oldest witness, St. Dionysius the Corinthian, says only kata ton auton kairon, which may be translated "at the same time" or "about the same time". (4) From time immemorial the solemnity of the Apostles Peter and Paul has been celebrated on 29 June, which is the anniversary either of their death or of the translation of their relics. Formerly the pope, after having pontificated in the Basilica of St. Peter, went with his attendants to that of St. Paul, but the distance between the two basilicas (about five miles) rendered the double ceremony too exhausting, especially at that season of the year. Thus arose the prevailing custom of transferring to the next day (30 June) the Commemoration of St. Paul. The feast of the Conversion of St. Paul (25 January) is of comparatively recent origin. There is reason for believing that the day was first observed to mark the translation of the relics of St. Paul at Rome, for so it appears in the Hieronymian Martyrology. It is unknown to the Greek Church (Dowden, "The Church Year and Kalendar", Cambridge, 1910, 69; cf. Duchesne, "Origines du culte chrétien", Paris, 1898, 265-72; McClure, "Christian Worship", London, 1903, 277-81).

Hmmm...I don't know where the real differences are. I essentially stated something very similar based upon the class I had today. As to comparing the prof to the Catholic Encyclopedia, I merely put that out as something to think about, nothing definitive, and nothing doctrinal. It is merely speculation since no one can no for sure what style of martyrdom Paul suffered, if he suffered it at all.

God Bless

Theologian in Training

And Theo's avatar is the coolest ever.

Thank you, I saw it under the Avatar thread and have Cure to thank for it. I had asked Dust if he would be able to make me one, but since he is quite busy I took this one instead. I actually like this one a lot, and just hope no one else uses it, thereby bringing me back to the beginning of looking for a unique avatar again.

God Bless

I heard a very interesting homily on martyrdom from my favorite priest once. I actually have a recording of it, so I listen to it often. Anyway, the word "martyr" means "witness." So, anyone who witnesses for Christ, becomes a martry for him. I thought that was pretty cool. I mean, how many times a day even, do we have a chance to witness for Christ in our actions or in our words? Probably hundreds if you consider all of the little things. For example, holding a door open for someone, saying hello, or criticizing someone you know is living in sin. One of the Seven Spiritual Works of Mercy is to admonish sinners. Anyway, I didn't mean to get off topic. The Church has so many wonderful men and women who were martyrs in the fullest sense of the word though. For example, St. Thomas Moore, St. Maria Goretti, St. Lawrence. I could go on and on.

As to comparing the prof to the Catholic Encyclopedia, I merely put that out as something to think about, nothing definitive, and nothing doctrinal. It is merely speculation since no one can no for sure what style of martyrdom Paul suffered, if he suffered it at all.

God Bless

I guess we have different definitions of definitive.

THe first line makes it definitive enough for me: Ancient tradition makes it possible to establish the following points:

(1) Paul suffered martyrdom near Rome at a place called Aquae Salviae (now Tre Fontane), somewhat east of the Ostian Way, about two miles from the splendid Basilica of San Paolo fuori le mura which marks his burial place.

I don't consider this speculation, it consider it Tradition coming down from the Church Fathers.

What does your professor think about Peter being martyred at the same time?

Theologian in Training

I guess we have different definitions of definitive.

THe first line makes it definitive enough for me: Ancient tradition makes it possible to establish the following points:

(1) Paul suffered martyrdom near Rome at a place called Aquae Salviae (now Tre Fontane), somewhat east of the Ostian Way, about two miles from the splendid Basilica of San Paolo fuori le mura which marks his burial place.

I don't consider this speculation, it consider it Tradition coming down from the Church Fathers.

What does your professor think about Peter being martyred at the same time?

I am sorry but I found your response to be quite rude.

I was merely sharing something I learned in class, which I found interesting. I guess, in the future, I should be more cautious about what I share.

God Bless

THeo I wasn't trying to be rude.

I have had theology professors and priests tell me all kinds of things, so I take it all with a grain of salt.

I had a prof tell me the Church was going to make celibacy optional and women would be ordained. I had one tell me Jesus didn't know he was God until he was resurrected and one tell me purgatory didn't exist.

Most of the profs I had in college are now leaders in the womens ordination movement with all the new age stuff you can find out there.

And I went to an orthodox CAtholic College.

I have got to the point that I if I can't find verify something I don't believe it.

I am sorry if I offended you Theo, it was not my intention.