VATICAN CITY, OCT. 2, 2003 (Zenit.org).- John Paul II's secretary asked

reporters to play down reports about the Pope's state of health, stressing they

have been taken out of context.

The Holy Father kept busy this morning, receiving in audience Lithuanian

President Rolandas Paksas, four bishops of the Philippines, as well as Cardinal

Giovanni Battista Re, prefect of the Congregation for Bishops, the Vatican

press office reported.

Archbishop Stanislaw Dziwisz, the Pope's longtime aide, said that the press

profoundly distorted a private comment made by Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger.

"Cardinal Ratzinger wept yesterday," after seeing that the German weekly Bunte

published those statements, Archbishop Dziwisz told journalists accredited in

the Vatican.

The cardinal "did not grant an interview but, when he met a journalist he only

said: Yes, the Pope is sick; pray for him," Archbishop Dziwisz said.

The papal secretary asked journalists not to dramatize or exaggerate John Paul

II's health problems, emphasizing that much of the news published in recent

years on his health proved to be false.

"Some of the journalists who in recent years have talked and written much about

the Pope's health are already in heaven," he concluded with a smile.

The Holy Father appeared relaxed and attentive during the 15-minute audience

with the Lithuanian president.

ZE03100206

Theologian in Training

Sorry Ryan, that's not true.  The Holy Father does inDouche write his own encyclicals.  JP2 is smart smart smart so he has written more than most popes, but he does write them himself and then offers them to various people for input and consultation.  He's an academic, it's their way.  And I heard from someone in the know that the Holy Father wrote the last Encyclical on the Eucharist completely in his own hand.  I'm sure these things will be archived after he dies . . .

By the way:  Raymond Arroyo from EWTN wrote an article in the Wall Street Journal today on the Holy Father frailty . . . it's quite good:

Raymond Arroyo on JP2

Actually, Ryan is right. A professor I have who used to work under the Pope stated that to be the case. Yes, the Pope contributes, and writes the bulk of his encyclicals, but others do contribute and sometimes write them as well.

Ghost writing is still a popular thing, and sometimes that still happens over in the Vatican as well.

God Bless

even though there is all this discussion all of it comes down to one point. It is Gods will if the pope stays here on earth or goes up to Him. Now dont take me wrong, the pope is the greatest man living today, but we have become so attached to him that when he does die some people sound like it will be the end of the church in their perspective. Its not! Pope JPII did great and remarkable things by the grace of God. And by the grace of God, we will get a pope that will be just as good as JPII if not better and he will be the pope to cannonize (sorry if i spelled that wrong) JPII a saint. JPII WE LOVE YOU!

God Bless

G2G

~Fx

P.S.

~when i was at WYD 2002 a certain someone (BLAZEr) came up with this song. It goes to the tune of "We will rock you"

Johnny you're a poor boy, an old boy, a wise boy,

livin your life by the golden rule

you got love on your face, you're full of grace

spreadin the gospel all over the place

singin we love we love JPII, We love you!

singin we love we love JPII, We love you!

CatholicAndFanatical

I love ramond arroyo, he's cool, I watch him alot when I get a chance on EWTN.

On his article, something disturbing was brought up

By mid-month, the pope will have appointed all but five of the 135 cardinals who will choose his successor. Having selected the contestants, several reports suggest, the pope has "cemented the conservative line," ordaining the outcome.

But history cautions against expecting a clone from a conclave. And the pope's newest cardinals are far from homogeneous. The majority seem to be orthodox men who will cleave to the teachings of the present pontiff, at least for the moment. But that is no guarantee they will do so once in possession of a red hat.

At least one admitted progressive will advance to the College of Cardinals.

Earlier this week, during his Mass of thanksgiving, Scottish cardinal-designate Keith O'Brien, archbishop of St. Andrews-Edinburgh, questioned the church teaching on contraception and the discipline of priestly celibacy. German Cardinal Karl Lehmann, who received his red hat in 2001, has also openly suggested that the church relax its rule of priestly celibacy to increase vocations. In the past he has encouraged divorced Catholics to frequent the sacraments. Just how many cardinals privately share these views is unclear.

Those bishops I highlighted above are going to be Cardinals in Mid-Octorber when the Pope makes them so, they are also going to be in the College of Cardinals and able to vote on a Pope..views like those are very scary..

What do you think of Cardinal Ratzinger being the next Pope, I heard his views are right with JPII

CatholicAndFanatical

Actually, Ryan is right. A professor I have who used to work under the Pope stated that to be the case. Yes, the Pope contributes, and writes the bulk of his encyclicals, but others do contribute and sometimes write them as well.

Ghost writing is still a popular thing, and sometimes that still happens over in the Vatican as well.

I don't dispute that people make contributions to his writings. But I will just relate this story. When I was a student at Notre Dame Archbishop Foley who heads the Office of Social Communications at the Vatican and Cardinal Arinze who at the time was in charge of Congregation for the Evangelization of Peoples were at a luncheon that some of us were invited to to speak with them and share our hope for the Church. I asked them if the Holy Father wrote his encyclicals himself or if others wrote them for him and he just "made them official." Both of them said that this Pope is so prolific that he writes his encyclicals almost entirely on his own. Archbishop Foley pointed out that much of Redemptor Hominis and Fides et Ratio was already in the popes writings as Bishop of Krakow. He made it clear that the pope sends his working drafts to various theologians and Bishops and Cardinals but that the final product is always his thought, conveyed in his style and hermaneutic.