An Old School Catholic Message Board

Steubenville?

vianney

I have been going to a catholic conference in steubenville Ohio since I was a freshman in high school. It is here where I first became a true catholic. It was also here that I got my calling to be a priest and thank the good lord i will enter seminary this fall. My question to this forum is frank. In my diocese there are many who are against stubie for whatever reason. Any thoughts on this as to why and your personal belief.

IcePrincessKRS

Huh.. thats random, I have never heard anyone who was outright against Steubie U. Its definately not a bad place, I live about 15 minutes away from the campus and have friends taking classes there, so I have lots of exposure to the campus.

I graduated from Christendom College in VA and I have to say, comparing the two schools there are aspects of both that I like and dislike. I am glad I went to C-dom, though, because even though I don't think Steubie U is a bad place I don't think I would have been happy there.

Yours Truly

I dont' know if you were saying that ppl are against the conferences or the university but i have been to the conference twice starting three summers ago (unfortunatly i was not able to attend this summer) but i believe strongly in the conferences power to turn someones life around as it did mine.

Ok, but I was thinking more replies related to the actually conferences opposed to the school. I know that the college is sound. But it seems in my diocese some priests think it is to emotionally charged, and some think that the charasmatic part of it is odd in the sense that Paul writes how we should pray and he says withou an interpreter of tongues you shouldnt pray in tongues in a public forum. Dont get me wrong I am a huge charasmatic but I am just wondering why there is this hostility towrds the conference. I am wondering if there is a touch of liberalism that doesnt like the orthodoxy at stubie so they will trash it regardless of merit or if there is genuine concern for the conference. Like I said I love it there and have nothing but praises for it, infact I am leaving tommrow to go. Just wondering what the forum thought..

I've never heard anything bad about Steubenville here in FL. Most people never heard of it. I've only read about it in Hahn's books or in Envoy, so you can imagine it's all been good.

IcePrincessKRS

Oh, well when you put it that way probably some people are against the summer conferences because they are rather charismatic. I personally am uncomfortable with alot of the charismatic stuff, but I don't think that the conferences are bad because if it. It is very emotionally charged, and I think thats part of the reason why so many teens are so into them. If they were just boring speakers I seriously doubt there'd be much interest in them. Not that I'm saying that the emotional charge is the only reason to go, I also believe that alot of kids really benefit spiritually from them. But then there are other kids who get freaked out by the charismatic atmosphere, being slain in the Spirit ("passing out" as the kids often refer to it), and all. My teenage brother-in-law and sister-in-law went to the conference on the campus a couple weeks ago and I got the opportunity to see them and their group. One girl enjoyed the conference but was clearly uncomfortable with some of the charismatic stuff--when being slain in the Spirit was mentioned she said 'I don't want that to happen to me!" Another boy was overheard on his cell phone giving his parents a hard time because he hated the conference.

Maybe some of the priests in your diocese are concerned that teens will go to the conferences for the wrong reasons? Like, solely for the emotional charge rather than for the spiritual benefits as well? I can see how that would be a definate concern, depending on the people you have in mind when weighing the good/bad of the conference; some are truly interested in the spiritual aspect and the talks while others just want to get away for the weekend and have fun with their friends.

cmotherofpirl

Most people who object to Steubenville are people who object to the Pope and Magisterium as well.

It turns out orthodox faithful Catholics who are well educated in thier fields.

Thats a good deal in today's world.

My daughter will be applying there in two years.

GodsThespianChic

I was supposed to go to to the conference this year, but since I woulda been going with a different parish than my own, I think I woulda been totally uncomfortable there and not gotten as much out of it. So I didn't go. But I hope to go next year.

Jake Huether

I was gunna say the exact same thing. I think unfortunatly there are some liberal priests who are haters. Stuebenville, from what I've heard, is top notch. Don't let them take you away from where you belong.

As a litmus test, you should ask the very same priests where they suggest you go. Then do research on where they'd have sent you! If it turns out they suggest a reputable theologically sound and orthodox school, then maybe they were right. But if they pick a liberal, anti VII type school, then you know where their hearts were at.

I'll pray for you.

Either they are down on Steubenville because of the charismatic conferences or because it is orthodox.

Sad to say, too many "children of the 60's" have gained tenure in various parts of the church.

Vianney, what diocese are you in and what seminary will you be attending?

I will be attending St John Vianney minor seminary in St Paul. And I am from the diocese of Sioux City

littleflower+JMJ

I will be attending St John Vianney minor seminary in St Paul. And I am from the diocese of Sioux City

you will be in our prayers..... :blink: