An Old School Catholic Message Board

What I Have Learnt At Phatmaass

Robyn

cmotherofpirl

"Finally, I pray that you are blown away by a supernatural experience through your relationship with Jesus! He has so much in store for your lives, but you have to accept what he is offereing you. I pray that your hearts really desire this. "

I always think its funny and sad protestants say this, when they are the ones missing so much. THey settle for crumbs when they could have cake.

Finally, I pray that you are blown away by a supernatural experience through your relationship with Jesus! He has so much in store for your lives, but you have to accept what he is offereing you. I pray that your hearts really desire this. 

Ciao :)

Ahhhhhh, the dramatic farewell.

Exit, stage left.

Elvis (apparently) has left the building.

I always think its  funny and sad protestants say this, when they are the ones missing so much. THey settle for crumbs when they could have cake.

But hey, we're all doing our best.

We have to be aware that some people won't be reached, and don't want to be reached.

Robyn came in on a high "I've got a relationship with God; too bad Catholics don't" horse, and she galloped out on the same old nag.

She learned nothing here.

Lots of facts, Bible references, historical documentation were provided to her to help her better understand our beliefs, and she scoffed at everything.

In essence, she never came here to learn.

And she "learnt" nuttin' at "Phatmaass," cuz she wasn't open to learning. Her eyes and ears were closed from the get go. There are people like that. One day, if she really opens her heart, maybe the Lord will move her to see all that she's missed.

Oremus. We can pray for that.

cmotherofpirl

Some thoughts on evangelization.

We never have a clue what God is doing in someones heart, seeds planted today can bloom anytime in the future, in God's good time.

"It is more important to love the person than to win the argument"

"Treat those who are in error with loving kindness, with Christian charity"

St Josemaria Escriva

When St Monica complained that Augustine didn't listen to her to become Catholic, the good bishop told her "Speak less to Augustine about God, and more to God about Augustine".

Several thoughts to ponder

Ask yourself :

Do I pray daily for this person?

Do I recognize that God is the only One who can convert souls, and that I'm only His instrument, to be used as He chooses?

Am I prepared to persist in my efforts to win people to Christ even if it takes years.

Devote as much time to praying for those you hope to bring into the Church as you do speaking to them.

Careful, Anna. Matthew 7:1.

i don't think she waz judging... well, maybe she walked the fine line there, but i think it was a correct observation based upon an attitude she showed us. judging would be sayin somethin like, "SHe's gonna go to hell" "she's so unChristlike" "she's so sinful, i'm such a better person than her" etc etc.

pointing out that someone has been openly showing a negative attitude towards Catholocism and really has not changed her attitude as far as we can tell, that's just making an observation, not judging her. maybe to avoid crossing that line i would've added 'as far as i can tell' if i had made her post

"Treat those who are in error with loving kindness, with Christian charity"

St Josemaria Escriva

wow, ppl who tried to tell me this guy was a fascist close-minded protestant hater were WAY off! that's a great quote

i liked ur post CMOM, it really gives ppl somethin to think about. we must all remember to act in loving charity knowing that in the end it's God who converts. we all need to just open ourselves up to God's amazing plan.

also,

3. My grounding has grown stronger in Christ because of the time spent here.
even though she might've meant it in a 'my conviction for Christ OUTSIDE of Catholocism has grown stronger, it's still a plus. if someone continues to grow stronger in the grounding in Christ, it exponentially increases the chance that Christ will bring His Church into their lives.

Please explain the two sets of rules?
~Donna

i do think she's talking about how we follow the rules of the Bible as it has been interpreted for 2000 years and she follows the rules of the Bible in whatever which way she believes they're trying to tell her. she prolly wouldn't word it that way, but as far as i can tell she's referring to how we have like Cannon Law and Catechism and ECF and all these things that tell us the rules of the Bible, while she can just fancifully go on her way reading the Bible and deciding for herself what it tells her to do and what not to do.

Robyn, my mother was a fallen-away Catholic. Hadn't been through the door of a Catholic Church in 30 some years.

But she didn't know the Faith -- and didn't know what she was missing.

When I became a Catholic, the Holy Spirit hit my anti-Catholic father with a velvet sledge-hammer. My father became a Catholic and my mother returned to the Church.

I pray your that parents will have a similar experience before it's too late.

IcePrincessKRS

Careful, Anna. Matthew 7:1.

I see what you're saying Gus, but I also know EXACTLY where Anna is coming from. IF you read Robyn's posts and compare them to say, Bro. Adam's you'll see the difference between a Non-Catholic who's "eyes and ears were closed from the get go" and someone who has really come to learn what we believe, even if he doesn't buy it all. Adam and Teresa have nearly always showed the greatest of respect for us and our beliefs---admittedly we've disagreed and butted heads in the past, but they have NEVER been outright insulting---Robyn has not shown us the same courtesy.

Maybe my words sound a little harsh, but I'm just saying it like I see it.

And, Anna DID say that she hoped God would lead Robyn home to the Catholic Church. ;)

I do stand by what I said, Uncle Gus.

Not because I feel any dislike for Robyn, nor that I have any inkling whatsoever of where she'll spend eternity, (that's for God to decide!) but because of the constant attitude she displayed here on this phorum in her posts: attitudes of smugness and arrogance, and refusal to show respect for things we regard as Sacred.

I found that attitude most unpleasant.

I don't read people's souls, nor their hearts. I read their posts. My assesment was based on attitudes expressed, not on Robyn's spiritual condition.

If I may speak a generality, I think the worst thing that anyone can do to offend a Catholic is to berate the Blessed Sacrament, the Source, Summit, and Center of our Faith.

This was done, and with repeated opportunities to offer apologies, she proceeded to shoot the messenger, rather than consider the message.

We should be willing to lay down our lives for the Eucharist, if ever the need be, even as the martyrs have done over the centuries.

Even in this day and age, there are Catholic priests, bishops, and laymen imprisoned in other parts of the world.

But in our politically-correct world of tolerance, the Sacred can be denounced, defiled, and desecrated, with little or no expression of emotion--no indignation, no outrage, barely any passive resistance. Even on Catholic boards, such posts are all too often taken with a grain of salt.

I would hope that if Robyn, or any non-Catholic should ever come upon any Catholic forum and (for whatever reason) show the least disrespect for the Eucharist, such an outcry would occur that they would always remember: "That Eucharist must be very special to those Catholics, for they defend it with every fiber of their being." If they walk away with nothing other than that, a seed has been planted.

Also, I did hope to impress upon Robyn and others a Catholic's "sense of the sacred," as I'm not sure that they hold up anything as sacred, so they have nothing to gauge it by.

Their services aren't "sacred rituals," but gatherings of fellowship.

Their 'communion' doesn't require duly ordained priests, proper form, or proper matter, in accord with "Sacred Traditions."

Their prayers are primarily casual and spontaneous. (Not saying here that they are not efficacious.)

Everything about God with them is so cavalier, common, and base, that it's near impossible to impress upon them just what a Sacred Thing the Eucharist is.

In essence, diss me and I'll get over it; diss the Eucharist, and I draw my sword.

So, if ya don't want all hell to break loose, everyone, just show a little respect for the Most Blessed Sacrament!!!

:ph34r:

Pax Christi. <><

Incidentally, my pastor offered a special noon Mass today for All Saints Day.

I prayed for you all, but especially for the phatMassers who are not Catholic, especially during Communion.

But most of all, for Nathan and Gramma Eileen. -_-

Pax Christi. <><