An Old School Catholic Message Board

Life Teen Abuses

SevenSorrows

Yes, BLAZEr, I did.  And I'm certain that Bishop Chaput did not intend that priests announce to the entire congregation, "Everybody get in the Communion line, and when those who can't receive Communion arrive in front of me, I'll tell them to make a spiritual communion."  As I read it, what the Bishop is teaching that the "blessings in lieu of Communion" should cease immediately, but anyone who shows up in the Communion line who can't receive (due to improper catechesis in the past) should be told to make a spiritual communion.  This certainly would be preferable to scolding the person, turning them away, or other treatment that could be perceived as rude.  The bishop is giving a pastoral solution to address an existing problem.  But there is no provision for this procedure in the GIRM.

The practice of "blessings in lieu of Communion" has caused many misunderstandings and hurt feelings.  I used to participate in a discussion group for people who were interested in becoming Catholic.  Some of these attended Churches where these illicit "blessings in lieu of Communion" were given.  Then, when they attended a different Mass or Church where the priests were obedient to the rubrics, and they presented themselves for a blessing, their feelings were hurt when they were turned away.  The poor priest had no idea what they wanted -- he tried to give them Communion, since they were in the Communion line, and when they shook their heads "no," he asked them to step to the side.  Some pretty bizarre things were reported.  I spent a lot of time explaining to them that it's not allowed, the priest who gave the blessings was wrong, the other priest was right, etc., and they should not have hurt feelings because they shouldn't have been in the line in the first place. Not their fault -- faulty catechesis. 

I predict that without the payoff of a blessing, up close and personal, there will soon be nobody in the Communion line except those receiving Communion.

You know as well as I do, that nobody needs to be given permission to make a spiritual communion.  Which is all the priest would be doing in the Diocese of Denver.  Hooray for Bishop Chaput! 

Catechumens and candidates, stay right where you are and make a spiritual communion!  I have a suggested prayer if you would like me to post it.

JMJ Likos

These were catechesis that he was giving to the WHOLE diocese. They were printed in the Denver Catholic Register which (I think) gets sent to every home. These instructions were not "to priests" they were to all the faitful.

Edited by BLAZEr

BLAZEr, the language is may and could, not will and should.

Lay people not receiving Communion can make a more fruitful spiritual communion if they stay where they belong. They just need to be taught how to do it. Written instructions would be helpful. They could be typed, laminated, them, and left where they're accessible.

Both children and adults can make a spiritual communion. They may come forward with their arms crossed and bow before the Eucharist. Then the priest, deacon or extraordinary minister could say to them kindly, "Receive the Lord Jesus in your heart." This is not a blessing, but an invitation to worship, so no gestures are made.

This spiritual communion would more authentically carry out the spirit of the liturgy. Being faithful to the truths of the sacramental celebration allows all of us, young and old, to enter more deeply into worship.

END QUOTE

(emphasis mine)

JMJ Likos