An Old School Catholic Message Board

Something To Think About

Joyful

The weirdest thing happened to me today... I was at a church event this evening and one of the adults who was speaking said girls can't in good conscience tan. I found this fascinating and, as one who does tan, quite thought-provoking. What do you all think? I thought about posting this in the debate table under the modesty tread, but sometimes those old people intimidate me! :)

HiddenVoice

I don't know. As a gentlemen of the opposite sex (was that a contradiction????) I personally believe that tanning is just another way to change your image and "beautify" yourself. I think girls need to start having more faith in their natural image instead of distorting themselves to meet the expectations of society. Not to say that make up or tanning is that extreme but I often hear to many other extremities from friends and random peeps. That's why plastic surgeons make so much money. And that's why they can make she-males now ::shudders from remembering the whole she-male thread::

God said "come as you are".

Voice

Tanning is not that big of a deal. I mean, if one is against tanning, then one should be against getting cute hairstyles, fingernail painting, exercising to tone one's body, etc, etc.

If the purpose for tanning remains pure (to make yourself look healthy and pretty), then it's fine. If the purpose for tanning is bad (to look sexy so guys will like you, or to get a job at Hooters), then I think it's wrong.

Good Friday

May the peace of Christ be with all of you.

I don't think there's anything wrong with tanning, but I would ask the person who said there was why he/she thinks so. I don't even think there's anything wrong with doing it to make one's self look attractive. A little bit of healthy attraction, as long as it doesn't go against the virtue of modesty (and I can't see how tanning does), is a good thing...

After all, where would humanity be if no one was attracted to anyone? Attraction does come first... it's not like you start dating because you like the person's soul or anything, you get to know the person's mind, soul, etc. after you start dating. But you start dating because you were physically attracted to the person. And without dating, there is no marriage. Without marriage, there are no children. Without children, there's not going to be anyone left in under 100 years to talk about this. :)

There's modesty, and modesty is a good thing. But then there's being excessive, and being excessive is a bad thing. Jesus and St. Paul were not fans of imposing unnecessary legalism on people. "Thou shalt not tan" would seem to fall into that category.

IcePrincessKRS

Tanning is not that big of a deal. I mean, if one is against tanning, then one should be against getting cute hairstyles, fingernail painting, exercising to tone one's body, etc, etc.

If the purpose for tanning remains pure (to make yourself look healthy and pretty), then it's fine. If the purpose for tanning is bad (to look sexy so guys will like you, or to get a job at Hooters), then I think it's wrong.

I'm with dUSt on this one.

I'm one of those people who is naturally fairly dark skinned and gets even darker in the summer whether I try or not. Personally being the way I am I think its kind of fun to go outside, go swimming as much as I can, and see just how dark I get. Its kind of like a science experiment. :P And then I get to tease my friends who remain really pale but get a few freckles. :huh: (Ok, I only do that to one friend... :unsure: )

As long as you don't fry yourself or become a sun-worshipper, I don't think tans are bad.

Sometimes I think certain color clothing looks better with golden skin (and sometimes not).

I like a tan 'cause I like the way my skin looks. I think the color suits me. And whether or not guys liek it doesn't matter - they can kiss my nicely browned foot if they don't like it! And if they do, well, cool.

true!.....lol but to me...I've been fried soooooo many times b/c I've got such fair skin...GTC & BR know this......BUt still it's not like I'm always laying out....usually I'm the girl playing games in the water getting trown around by the guys!

GodsThespianChic

Yep yep yep. That's a lot of the reason I'm tan as I am. I play around at the beach, I don't lay out because I know I will get burnt then!!

TempleofVesarius

what about guys who tan?

now ive never sat in a tanning bed or anything, but my friend rich and i always used to be like hey...wanna go tanning?...the we would both go and mow our HUGE lawns without shirts on.

It's all about motive, I guess!!!!!

That's cute that you guys do that! lol_grin.gif

yea it is, but when it gets to the point where you're at the beach & you only go to tan, & your friends are in the water playing around & goofing off & you're just, tanning, then I think that's dumb!

IcePrincessKRS

what about guys who tan?

now ive never sat in a tanning bed or anything, but my friend rich and i always used to be like hey...wanna go tanning?...the we would both go and mow our HUGE lawns without shirts on.

Yeah, but you're being productive while you tan. At school I knew this guy who would sit outside just for the purpose of tanning. He'd just lay out there. He was soooooo vain, his goal in life was to be a male model.

My friends and I used to sit out and tan, but we'd study and stuff, too. I like laying out at the beach, but if that was my sole purpose for going... that'd be pretty lame. I love the beach, but I prefer pools for swimming and beaches for laying around and being lazy.