An Old School Catholic Message Board

Reflection

PedroX

From an assignment for a class this year:

“Lord, I am not worthy to receive you...”
On our knees we say the words and we wait in expectation. Like the Israelites of old, we await our salvation. As Hannah in the tabernacle we wait the fulfillment of God’s promise. Like the Israelites who sat and cried by the rivers of Babylon we await our deliverance. Yet, as we wait we proclaim the truth that is half the gospel.
Already we have been waiting. We have sung and chanted, proclaimed, acclaimed and lifted high our hearts and now, on our knees we say the words.
We say the words in echo of the Centurion who to his surprise found the Lord waiting on his doorstep. This centurion, a ranking officer in the army of the oppressors, had dared to hope, as now we dare, that he might be healed. Yet, in that moment the awful truth hit him (does it now hit us?) that he, after all his hopes and waiting, was not worthy to receive the Christ. For, after all are we not in some way this centurion? Do I not allow, support and perhaps even encourage the army of the oppressors? Have I not asked the Lord for healing only to be caught off guard to see Him waiting on the doorstep of my heart?
Already we have been waiting. We have renewed our baptism, confirmed our creed, affirmed our desire and petitioned our Lord and now, on our knees we say the words.
So here, on our knees we bow our head in supplication, or we raise our eyes in anticipation looking at Christ raised up before us. Raised up like the snake Moses lifted up before the Israelites. Raised up like Ark of the Covenant going into battle. Raised up, as He was on a cross, so long ago. Raised up.
Here, we state with simple truth the depth of our situation. We are not worthy to receive Him. We are not worthy and our deceitful and desperately wicked hearts know it. We know that we have sinned. We know what we harbor in the darkness. Like the Centurion who hesitates to invite Christ into his house we too have skeletons in the closet and dust bunnies under the couch.
Already we have been waiting. We have proclaimed this truth that is half the gospel, and for a moment we hang there. We have hit the still point in this turning world, and we have but a moment to catch our breath before we plunge on.
Like the rush of a mighty wind the rest of the Gospel comes out of us. “Only say the word, and I shall be healed.” For, even as we face the fact that we are more sinful than we thought, we know that we are more loved than we ever imagined. For greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.
We shall be healed. Healed like the Israelites who beheld the snake lifted up before them in the wilderness. Healed, like the woman who dared to touch His cloak. Healed, like Lazarus walking forth from the tomb. For, if we have died with Christ in baptism, shall we not also share in His resurrection?
We ask with a faith that is as simple and as bold as our confession. If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
Only say the word. The Word of God, pronouncing the word of God. No need for fancy formulas, no need for us to do deeds great and mighty. He need only say the word. Somehow, everyday He again says the word and we are healed.
Suddenly, the waiting is over. We are moving forward to receive Him. He has made us worthy. He has said the word.

peace...

Mickey's_Girl

Thanks, PedroX! I'll be thinking of this the next time I go to Mass. (That moment: "Lord, I am not worthy to receive you, but only say the word, and I shall be healed" always grabs me by the neck anyway.)

MG

• 4 weeks later...