An Old School Catholic Message Board

Email on The Cross

Theologian in Training

Theologian in Training

[quote name='Raphael' date='Jun 25 2005, 10:23 PM']A young man was at the end of his rope, seeing no way out, he dropped to his knees in prayer.
"Lord, I can't go on," he said. "I have too heavy a cross to bear."

The Lord replied, "My son, if you can't bear its weight, just place your cross inside this room.
Then, open that other door and pick out any cross you wish."

The man was filled with relief and said, "Thank you Lord," and he did as he was told.

Upon entering the other room, he saw many crosses; some so large the tops were not visible. Then, he spotted a tiny cross leaning against a far wall.

"I'd like that one, Lord," he whispered. The Lord replied, "My son, that is the cross you just brought in."
[right][snapback]623643[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

BTW, thank you, as you can see, it was very helpful to getting my sermon together.

God Bless

Theologian in Training

I am about to leave for the first Mass. Please keep me in your prayers, because I can feel your prayers and they were showering down upon me last night while I wrote this sermon I pray, now, that they may shower down on me as I preach this sermon.

Thank You

God Bless

Theologian in Training

[quote name='phatcatholic' date='Jun 26 2005, 08:03 AM']tell us how it went bro

i was praying for you ;)
[right][snapback]624090[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Thank You. I'm off...let you guys know when I get back from the noon Mass.

Thanks again to everyone

God Bless

Theologian in Training

It went well. Some just gave me the mandatory handshake "nice talk, Father." Others were quite sincere, some actually wanted a copy of it. However, the noon Mass, my last one, is where I got the best feedback. One couple, in particular, who said they were psychotherapists. They said: "excellent homily, my husband and I are psychotherapists and we wish we could read your homily to our clients and explain to them that there is no secular way to understand suffering."

All in all, it went well, and was well received.

I thank God for that and for giving me the strength and courage to preach the cross.

BTW, I had to get up early because the first Mass was 7:45AM.

God Bless

Yay! :banana:

I knew [i]I[/i] liked it lots, but I had no idea if your congregation would. :lol: They must be a good group of people.

Theologian in Training

[quote name='iggy' date='Jun 26 2005, 02:14 PM']are they supposed to call you father?  i thought you are a deacon.
[right][snapback]624313[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

No, but they have no idea, and sometimes I just don't bother telling them and trying to explain it, because, most of the time even when I do, they still call me Fr.

God Bless

Theologian in Training

[quote name='philothea' date='Jun 26 2005, 02:17 PM']Yay!  :banana:

I knew [i]I[/i] liked it lots, but I had no idea if your congregation would. :lol:  They must be a good group of people.
[right][snapback]624315[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Thank you for telling me this now, and not before I left. That was my concern as well. However, I got to thinking and praying about it. God wanted me to tell them this, otherwise, I would not have come up with the sermon I did. In fact, many people told me that was exactly what they needed to hear. Also, I was thinking about the Early Church Fathers and am sure they were not there hoping the congregation liked their sermon, as much as they were there, to preach the truth, in season and out of season.

It went well at my home parish, the real challenge will be to see how my preaching style is accepted by the parish I am to go to July 11th.

God Bless

Theologian in Training

[quote name='Lil Red' date='Jun 26 2005, 03:31 PM']thank you for sharing the homily, theo. it is beautiful!
[right][snapback]624397[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Thank you. I realize now how generous God was to me, in giving me that homily.

God Bless