An Old School Catholic Message Board

7 Sorrows Of Mary

Theologian in Training

Theologian in Training

Sometimes while focusing on the cross we forget the sufferings that Mary endured as well. There is a traditional devotion that originated in the Church a while back with regard to Her own sufferings known as The 7 Sorrows of Mary. Essentially, it is a reflection on those sufferings that Mary endured being the Mother of Jesus. The Seven Sorrows are as follows:

1) The Prophecy of Simeon

2) The Flight into Egypt

3) The finding of Our Lord in the Temple

4) The meeting of Jesus and Mary on the way of the cross

5) The crucifixion

6) The taking down of Jesus from the cross (The Pieta)

7) The burial of Jesus

I would invite all to meditate on these mysteries sometime. As you can see they are all scripturally based or interpreted from Scripture. It is a beautiful meditation and one I don't think we meditate on often enough.

7 Dolors

God Bless

littleflower+JMJ

wow! theo, my family prays the 7 Sorrows along with our rosary...and it is an amesome prayer...i was also going to post a while back about them but never had a chance, so im so glad you did...

their special, special prayers that take us along the journey of what the Blessed Mother, Mary, went through and how we should remember those times

PLease, as theo said, pray them, they are special Prayers pleasing to Our Heavenly Mother and beautiful to meditate on.....

IcePrincessKRS

Thanks Theo! I've been interested in learning more about the 7 Sorrows for awhile now. ;)

The Sorrows of our Blessed Virgin Holy Mother have endeared her to Her Son!

May she intercede on our behalf!

Theologian in Training

Aren't there 7 Joys of Mary or something of that sort also?

Indeed there are. It is also called the "Franciscan Crown." Instead of five decades there are seven. When I spent some time with a Franciscan order they prayed it every Saturday in lieu or their community rosary. The Seven Joys of Mary are as follows:

1) The Annunciation

2) The Visitation

3) The Nativity

4) The adoration of the Magi

5) The loss of the child Jesus in the temple

6) The Resurrection

7) The Assumption and Coronation of Mary in Heaven

Franciscan Crown

God Bless