An Old School Catholic Message Board

*new herre* ill tell u what i think

candidate2024

candidate2024

so. first off, i will say that im not too sure about religion. i see science prving that there is a god, and that there isnt all the time...so im not really sure on what to believe yet. if there were to be a god, from reading the bible(and many years of catecism), i infer that you need not be religious(aslong as your not making fun of religious people or of believers or of believing), but just be a good person and you would make it to *heaven*.

k, now that you know a little bit about my faith...i would like to talk about politics, religion, and beliefs. and how they mix, or shoudnt mix, together.

the sole purpouse of government is a topic that is up for debate, but im pretty sure that i know what the answewr is. ( to the question, "whats the purpouse of government?" lol)and that answer is to provide defense from unwanted harm and crime, and to create an environment where equality and fairness reign supreme.

all too often poeple incorporate their religious beliefs, or lack of beliefs, into their politics, when really they should be looking at a propposed law or legislation as whether or not it isa valid purpouse of government. NOT what would be best for said countries citizens, NOT what jesus would do, NOT what will make their lifes eassier. and most definitely NOT what they think is moral.

ok...lol...that last one probably got your panties into a bunch...it always does.. but let e explain: laws are not supposed to be 'moral", and are not supposed to lock up 'bad guys", they are to provide defense from unwanted harm and crime, and to create an environment where equality and fairness reign supreme. like i said before. for example..lets say a man comes home to find that his daughter has been raped by some congressman. now this man goes out and finds said congressman and beats the carp out of him. is this man "wrong", is this man "bad', is this man "immoral"? no. but, he acted out side the law, and will be prosecuted as such. ( pardon the horrible analogy, as im leaving for the gynm here in a second and had to hurry it up)

so....lets hear some opposing viewpoints, because surely not everyone agree's....actually, i doubt any really aggree.

(oh yeahh...sorry about the grammar and spelling tooo......just have zunshine edit it up for me. lol)

Go here: [url="http://www.PeterKreeft.com"]http://www.PeterKreeft.com[/url]

Click to enter
Click on Audio
Listen.

God Bless,
ironmonk

candidate2024

[quote name='jezic' date='Mar 9 2006, 09:34 PM']bonjour mon amie. :)
[right][snapback]907768[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
lol. bonjour. ( you can just hear my accent through the computer screen.. haha)

candidate2024

[quote name='ironmonk' date='Mar 9 2006, 08:27 PM']Go here: [url="http://www.PeterKreeft.com"]http://www.PeterKreeft.com[/url]

Click to enter
Click on Audio
Listen.

God Bless,
ironmonk
[right][snapback]907709[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
hmmmm interesting. not sure im buyin all of it...but thanks for the welcome, and have a wonderful evening.

missionseeker

welcome.

I suppose I get what your saying about laws not supposed to moral, but, to go there, you have to define
"unwanted harm and crime"

What makes a crime a crime?
What is a crime?
Why is it a crime?

candidate2024

[quote name='missionseeker' date='Mar 9 2006, 09:47 PM']welcome.
I suppose I get what your saying about laws not supposed to moral, but, to go there, you have to define
"unwanted harm and crime"
[right][snapback]907783[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
well, yeah. i need to find an absolute term for that..because i havent taken the time to write out an explantion that is "complete" you might say. everytime i start to do research on a certain topic to make my responses infallible i always get off track and spend like an hour reading soemthing that has nothing to do with said topic. :D:

missionseeker

[quote name='candidate2024' date='Mar 9 2006, 10:50 PM']well, yeah. i need to find an absolute term for that..because i havent taken the time to write out an explantion that is "complete" you might say. everytime i start to do research on a certain topic to make my responses infallible i always get off track and spend like an hour reading soemthing that has nothing to do with said topic.  :D:
[right][snapback]907788[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

understood lol

I'm so easily sidetracked