An Old School Catholic Message Board

Mother Angelica and the PCPA habit

awyers

I was just watching EWTN and they had a clip of Mother Angelica from the 1980's I think. Her habit was very different from that which she wears now. I was just wondering when the habit changed (I assume when they moved into the shrine??) and where the new habit came from. Did Mother Angelica create it? As far as I can tell it is different then most PC habits with the head covering and hard band on the head (I have no idea what these pieces are called sorry!) Does anyone know the story behind this beautiful habit?

Guest phatdaddy

[quote name='Piobaire' post='990890' date='May 26 2006, 10:01 AM']
I was just watching EWTN and they had a clip of Mother Angelica from the 1980's I think. Her habit was very different from that which she wears now. I was just wondering when the habit changed (I assume when they moved into the shrine??) and where the new habit came from. Did Mother Angelica create it? As far as I can tell it is different then most PC habits with the head covering and hard band on the head (I have no idea what these pieces are called sorry!) Does anyone know the story behind this beautiful habit?
[/quote]

Piobaire,

I know very little but I can tell you what I remember. Back in early 1994, Mother Angelica on her live show (I saw it) introduced her new habit and the symbolism of all of the garment. I believe she had decided to go back to the traditional PCPA habit that she wore when she was in Canton. I seem to remember that because of some bad experience she had when the Holy Father was in Denver in 1993, she decided to boldly go where no nun has gone before (at least recently).

I am sure others can give you more of the details.
Mr. Ray

HiddeninHisHeart

[quote name='phatdaddy' post='990922' date='May 26 2006, 08:45 AM']
Piobaire,

I know very little but I can tell you what I remember. Back in early 1994, Mother Angelica on her live show (I saw it) introduced her new habit and the symbolism of all of the garment. I believe she had decided to go back to the traditional PCPA habit that she wore when she was in Canton. I seem to remember that because of some bad experience she had when the Holy Father was in Denver in 1993, she decided to boldly go where no nun has gone before (at least recently).

I am sure others can give you more of the details.
Mr. Ray
[/quote]

Yeah, PhatDaddy, I think you've got that right. Initially, when many religious orders were leaving the habit behind in the late 60's and 70's, Mother Angelica also modified her community's habit. (Although I believe it was still in line with the Vatican II documents.) I guess many of the sisters in her community continued to pray for the previous habit to return and would make gestures to each other in passing through the halls to remind one another to pray for this. And with that WYD experience in Denver which proved wishy-washiness in the U.S. (nice word, huh?) or a certain indifferentism towards certain Truths of Our Lord's Church, she decided that she was going to go all the way in following Christ radically. No more did she worry about looking "pre-Vatican II" (Which she learned later was a misunderstanding of Vatican II.) on the air but she realized that she needed to stay strong in witnessing to our Catholicity when many in our world, especially the U.S. were flip-flopping and worried about the world and their own personal image over Jesus Christ and His Truth. Our habit now is full of symbolism and beauty. I am so happy that the Holy Spirit guided Mother in this direction. If you check out our website, Allison, (olamshrine.com) you will find a great explanation of the habit in the "from postulancy to solemn profession" section, under the "nuns" column. There are also great pictures of many of the nuns there. Also, if you can get your hands on it, I would suggest your reading the biography about Mother Angelica written by Raymond Arroyo. It is really enlightening as to what has happended in her life, and her instrumenality in the Lord's hands.

God bless you! I hope you are doing well!!

Katie

Hey Katie!

Thanks for the info. I love how you say "our" you are so lucky! I hope to join you soon :) Did you get my PM?

Allison

to add another detail:

it was a woman playing the part of Jesus at the Stations of the Cross of WYD 1993 that triggered it... i actually remember watching her liveshow reaction! read all about the habit in Raymond's book.

R u serious!!! I was wondering what triggered it but I never could have imagined that :ohno:

[quote name='Seven77' post='991042' date='May 26 2006, 10:54 AM']
to add another detail:

it was a woman playing the part of Jesus at the Stations of the Cross of WYD 1993 that triggered it... i actually remember watching her liveshow reaction! read all about the habit in Raymond's book.
[/quote]

what a beautfiful story! I love Mother Angelica :love: and I Love their full habbits, their my favorite habbits. :)

Mother Angelica is so cool. She gave me a key to holiness when I was seriously struggling in High School.

Fulton Sheen Warrior

+JMJ+

[quote]to add another detail:

it was a woman playing the part of Jesus at the Stations of the Cross of WYD 1993 that triggered it... i actually remember watching her liveshow reaction! read all about the habit in Raymond's book.[/quote]

Yeah, to this day, many people I know said that when they saw this they thought it was a mockery.
(Especially when they saw that it was being acted out by mimes...)

<_<

Thank God for Mother Angelica and EWTN!!!

brandelynmarie

Yes, God bless her & the Poor Clares!...EWTN & their Gobal Catholic Radio have been such a blessing to me...I feel as if I am drinking at a refreshing spring when I watch it or am listening to them...I'm watching Papa Benedict visiting in Poland on EWTN right now!

I know, listening to EWTN and those blessed priests and nuns, amazing people, it's like a bowl of fruit! Fruit for the soul, and they just give you allot of it to chew on! Weird analogy I know :blink:

Guest phatdaddy

[quote name='brandelynmarie' post='992730' date='May 30 2006, 08:09 AM']
:biglol: Fruits of the Holy Spirit!
[/quote]

:clapping: Good one brandelynmarie.....that was great.....I wish I had thought of that. :banana: