An Old School Catholic Message Board

Butterflies And A Handful Of Other Physical Responses

franciscanheart

franciscanheart

I noticed in another post that she_who_is_not mentioned that butterflies in your stomach-lightheaded-fast beating heart feeling she gets when she receives the Eucharist. The other day while I was kneeling after Holy Communion I wondered if anyone else got that funny feeling I got after receiving. It really is the only time I get this odd mix of physical responses and I wonder if it has something to do with the sacrament or if it is my head playing tricks on me.

:idontknow: Anyone?

[quote name='hugheyforlife' post='1057926' date='Sep 6 2006, 12:53 PM']
I noticed in another post that she_who_is_not mentioned that butterflies in your stomach-lightheaded-fast beating heart feeling she gets when she receives the Eucharist. The other day while I was kneeling after Holy Communion I wondered if anyone else got that funny feeling I got after receiving. It really is the only time I get this odd mix of physical responses and I wonder if it has something to do with the sacrament or if it is my head playing tricks on me.
:idontknow: Anyone?
[/quote]

+

I do too! I think I'm just overcome by receiving our Lord --I just don't know how to mentally process it. I think it might be common for us folks, who tend toward the perhaps overly cerebral side of things. :) For me, I think it means I need to improve the intimacy of my relationship with our Lord. Allow me to give an example: There is a story about Mother Angelica told by one of her nuns that when she got a new pair of shoes, she would put them on the Altar to show our Lord! Now, I ask myself, do I have that kind of intimacy with our Lord? Do I invite him into every part of my life? Even the mundane, every day, "secular" parts? I know it's something I need to work on.

she_who_is_not

[quote name='Veritas' post='1057936' date='Sep 6 2006, 02:04 PM']
+

I do too! I think I'm just overcome by receiving our Lord --I just don't know how to mentally process it. I think it might be common for us folks, who tend toward the perhaps overly cerebral side of things. :) For me, I think it means I need to improve the intimacy of my relationship with our Lord. Allow me to give an example: There is a story about Mother Angelica told by one of her nuns that when she got a new pair of shoes, she would put them on the Altar to show our Lord! Now, I ask myself, do I have that kind of intimacy with our Lord? Do I invite him into every part of my life? Even the mundane, every day, "secular" parts? I know it's something I need to work on.
[/quote]

Wow, I sincerely agree. I think that maybe it is a small taste of what the mystics must feel when they encounter unity with God. Letting God into all parts of my life is something I struggle with constantly. I think sometimes I feel like I can "fool" God by only interacting with Him when I am feeling "holy". Like he isn't aware of what I am like the rest of the time!!!! Giving all to God, acknowledging all to God, even the petty or silly faults, emotions, and ideas is very hard for me!

I think one of the beautiful things about Our Lord and His relationship with us is that the spiritual realities are so deeply intertwined with physical realities. Like he knows us so well that he knows we need tangible things. Everything is just so sacramental. It's extraordinary, the intimacy that he's allowed us to have with Him... :love: and it's so sad that so many reject it.

franciscanheart

He is great. Isn't He? :love:

I would no doubt say that I could welcome the Lord into more parts of my life but it has not always been this way - you know, that I feel this feeling. It has only been very recent. It's only been in the past three or four weeks. I go to daily Mass and it has not failed, each time since the first time I have felt this feeling. I wonder if perhaps this is a sort of gift - allowing me to feel physically what I receive spiritually. Who knows...

[quote name='hugheyforlife' post='1057950' date='Sep 6 2006, 01:20 PM']
i would no doubt say that i could welcome the Lord into more parts of my life but it has not always been this way - you know, that i feel this feeling. it has only been very recent. like... in the past three or four weeks. i go to daily Mass and it has not failed, each time since the first time i have felt this feeling. it's a little weird. :unsure:
[/quote]

+

That is interesting Hughey. Do you have a really good priest you can ask? I would be curious to know what he thought... They can have so much wisdom and insight. Certain priests amaze me. They tell me things that make so much sense, but I never would have thought of on my own. The priesthood: What a gift from God!

Edited by hugheyforlife

franciscanheart

i plan to ask my spiritual director about it but it will be a few weeks before i will have that opportunity.

sometimes i will cry or get teary eyed after receiving the Eucharist - especially if it's been awhile (read: 3 or 4 weeks) since i've last received. and especially if i went to Confession the day of Mass or the day before Mass.

God is good!

HeavenlyCalling

I never have any sort of physical responce, but after the Eucharist I usually become very call and satisfied. Its a feeling of mental calm thats hard to come by usually with so many people in my house. :D:

Great topic, Laura.

I get that feeling too sometimes, but not all the time. fwiw, I'm not the overly cerebral type.

I work consciously at inviting God into my day to day activities. It's not always easy and I still need 'triggers' to help me out. For example, everytime I get into an elevator I use that 10 - 20 seconds for silent prayer. It's usually just a short prayer of thanks or a prayer for the person/s I'm riding the elevator with. I make a little sign of the cross with my thumb on the palm of my hand. It's all very sneaky. :ninja: I ride the elevator a lot at work :). I also pray to and from work on the bus and of course praying the Liturgy of the Hours helps tremendously as well.

I suppose the best thing that comes from doing this for me is that it is harder for me to sin because I'm more aware that Jesus and Momma Mary are always so near by. When I do sin I have to consciously turn my mind away from Christ. It's a very painful thing to do but I still do it anyway. :(

Sometimes I get this sensation, my heart feels all warm and I get quite emtotional. Me getting emotional is a strange thing-I only remember crying in front of people twice in my whole life. It's like I'm filled to the brim-I feel complete and joyful. It is so amazing and I can't do it justice with my mere words.