An Old School Catholic Message Board

Confessing Venial Sins

photosynthesis

photosynthesis

Sometimes I go to Confession, and I'll confess stuff like...well let's say drinking wine (I'm under 21)...cursing, or impure thoughts...or other stuff like that...and the priest will say something like "whatever, that's not a mortal sin" (i'm paraphrasing very badly on this one). He'll absolve me from my sins, but he'll say that what I did was not that bad. It seems to tick the priest off whenever I confess venial sins.

Are Catholics supposed to confess only mortal sins in the confessional? what about venial sins? aren't those important too? Don't they put us in spiritual debt or something? What's the deal with venial sins? Am I being scrupulous?

In contrast to mortal sin, a venial sin may be described as a less serious rejection of God's love, not a fundamental choice against God, not a complete turning away from God. It is a failure to love God and others as much as we should. St Thomas Aquinas describes it this way: "Although a person who commits a venial sin does noy refer his act to God, nevertheless he still keeps God as his habitual end. The person does not decisively set himself on turning away from God, but from overfondness for a created good falls short of God. He is like a person who loiters, but without leaving the way.(CCC 1854, 1862-1863)

It is the teaching of the Church that "individual and integral confession and absolution are the only ordinary way by which the faithful person who is aware of serious sin is reconciled with God and withg the Church." Canon 960

Confession is a Sacrament instituted by God to give grace eventhough you don't have to confess venial sins you can take part in the sactament to receive the grace to live a full Christian life. I don't know how often you go to confession I would recommend for someone who has venial sins once a month or once a quarter strong examination of conscience, full confession of all sins that you can remember.

If the priest doesn't want to hear your confession then I would suggest if possible find another. As a priest I find it perplexing at least on the face of it that a priest would turn away someone as though he can't be bothered .