An Old School Catholic Message Board

Non-cloistered Contemplative Orders?

awyers

Is there such a thing as a contemplative order (non-active order) that isnt strictly cloistered?? Like an order that for the most part stays inside the convent/monastery and does work common to enclosed orders such as baking or making vestments etc. but that can leave when needed or is that reserved for the role of extern sisters? It seems that I have only heard of active sisters and cloistered sisters and nothing in between where as some monks I have seen live a totally contemplative life but go out when needed. I was just curious :D:

Thanks!

The Benedictine Sisters of Mary, Queen of Apostles are a young and new community that are in the diocese of Kansas City - St. Joseph Missouri. www.oblatesofmary.com. They are semi-contemplative and they also go "out-and-about". Check out the website...they are really awesome!

HeavenlyCalling

The Carmelites that live near me (no site, sorry) are semi-cloistered, I beleive the support themselves through making things and stuff, but they are still allowed to leave the convent.

[quote name='BurkeFan' post='1119489' date='Nov 14 2006, 12:07 AM']
There's a contemplative branch of the Missionaries of Charity...
[/quote]

+

Aren't they cloistered?...

Aren't the sisters of St. John non-cloistered contemplatives?

[quote name='Veritas' post='1119503' date='Nov 14 2006, 01:15 AM']
+

Aren't they cloistered?...

Aren't the sisters of St. John non-cloistered contemplatives?
[/quote]

Huh, I didn't think they were cloistered. At least I had heard about one coming back to Michigan to visit her family...

Some Dominican cloisters are now fairly loose, and some of the cloistered sisters have taken on the some of the roles of externs. At least I know that that's the case in Lufkin and Farmington Hills.

Sr Mary Catharine OP

[quote name='BurkeFan' post='1119512' date='Nov 14 2006, 01:23 AM']
Huh, I didn't think they were cloistered. At least I had heard about one coming back to Michigan to visit her family...

Some Dominican cloisters are now fairly loose, and some of the cloistered sisters have taken on the some of the roles of externs. At least I know that that's the case in Lufkin and Farmington Hills.
[/quote]

We're not "loose". We are merely following the latest norms of the Holy See for enclosure which allows the cloistered nuns to leave the enclosure when necessary, especially if there are no externs which most of our monasteries do not have. Farmington has 4 externs, 3 of them are fairly new.

I am the only professed nun who drives. I need to go out to pick up people at the airport, and we have prioress and novice mistress meetings. However, we do have lay volunteers who help us bring sisters to drs appts. We are also allowed to go home once a year for a visit to our parents when they become too old to travel or are too ill.

I can assure you that the longer I am the monastery the more I really do not like going out. It's a penance!

Enclosure is not an absolute. It is a means to a greater end: that of contemplation. And one can never leave the enclosure physically but not truly be in the enclosure because she is still overly concerned about her family and friends or what is going on out in the world.

Enclosure is a great gift of the Church to us providing the necessary space to be for God alone. It's always "of the Church".

About the Missionaries of Charity-Contemplatives, I've heard conflicting reports about their apostolic life. One person said they do apostolate four times a week but two other websities said twice a day. Either way I know they do leave the convent often so I don't think the're cloistered.

Oh I just read from the Institute on Religious Life this excerpt : "The feminine contemplative branch of the Missionaries of Charity was founded by Mother Teresa and Sister Nirmala Joshi on June 25, 1976, in the Bronx section of New York. The sisters, numbering close to 100, are not strictly cloistered, but, as their founder described them, they are “contemplatives in the world.” They spend much of the day and at times of the night in prayer and eucharistic adoration. They work three to five hours a day with the poorest of the poor."

Also, I know that the Brooklyn Visitation Sisters have constitiutional enclosure which is more relaxed than Papal. They have a one week home visit and can leave for various other reasons.

If anyone knows about other non-cloistered contemplatives, please post!

Edited by ThyHolyLove

[quote name='Piobaire' post='1119416' date='Nov 13 2006, 10:43 PM']
Is there such a thing as a contemplative order (non-active order) that isnt strictly cloistered?? Like an order that for the most part stays inside the convent/monastery and does work common to enclosed orders such as baking or making vestments etc. but that can leave when needed or is that reserved for the role of extern sisters? It seems that I have only heard of active sisters and cloistered sisters and nothing in between where as some monks I have seen live a totally contemplative life but go out when needed. I was just curious :D:

Thanks!
[/quote]

Just doing a quick sweep of the IRL website, here are a few orders that describe themselves as contemplative-active:

Carmelites of the Divine Heart of Jesus
Disciples of the Lord Jesus Christ
Little Sisters of St. Francis
IHM Sisters of Wichita Kansas
Society of Sisters of the Holy Cross

From my own knowledge:

The Visitation Sisters of the Second Federation observe monastic life, but also do limited teaching at the academies they operate. At least they do here in St. Louis.

The Benedictine Sisters of St. Emma's Monastery (PA) run a retreat center and observe constitutional enclosure. The Benedictines of Virginia Dale(CO) operate a ranch/farm and host retreats on site.

The Benedictine Sisters of Clyde (MO) are "semi-cloistered", they make altar breads, publish a magazine and make vestments and scented soaps. They engage in oblate formation which sometimes takes them out of the monastery.

There is also a relatively new monastery of Benedictine Sisters that wish to combine monastic life with limited hours for teaching--I think they are in Naples, FL and associated with Ave Maria University.

be_thou_my_vision

Sisters of St. Francis of Penance and the Sorrowful Mother (TOR Sisters) are contemplative (mainly) but not cloistered, as are the Capuchin Sisters of Nazareth. Hope this helps!

[quote name='Sr. Mary Catharine' post='1119602' date='Nov 14 2006, 06:45 AM']
We're not "loose". We are merely following the latest norms of the Holy See for enclosure which allows the cloistered nuns to leave the enclosure when necessary, especially if there are no externs which most of our monasteries do not have. Farmington has 4 externs, 3 of them are fairly new.

I am the only professed nun who drives. I need to go out to pick up people at the airport, and we have prioress and novice mistress meetings. However, we do have lay volunteers who help us bring sisters to drs appts. We are also allowed to go home once a year for a visit to our parents when they become too old to travel or are too ill.

I can assure you that the longer I am the monastery the more I really do not like going out. It's a penance!

Enclosure is not an absolute. It is a means to a greater end: that of contemplation. And one can never leave the enclosure physically but not truly be in the enclosure because she is still overly concerned about her family and friends or what is going on out in the world.

Enclosure is a great gift of the Church to us providing the necessary space to be for God alone. It's always "of the Church".
[/quote]

Eeep, sorry about my use of language. :pinch:
I don't want to dig myself into a deeper hole here, but meant "loose" in terms of comparison with, say, the Poor Clares, who, as far as I know, never-ever leave. I didn't mean it in terms of being "loose" on the established norms. :duh: :doh:

When I mentioned Farmington, I should have clarified that while they do have externs (though I only thought there were three - Sr. Anna Marie, Sr. Faustina Marie, and Sr. Miriam), the community is large enough that some of the non-externs are drivers as well.

:doh:

The [url="http://www.institute-christ-king.org/AdorersRoyalHeart.htm"]Sister Adorers of the Royal Heart of Jesus Christ Sovereign Priest [/url] are non-cloistered contemplatives that do the typical "work" of cloistered orders that you mentioned.

Sr Mary Catharine OP

[quote name='BurkeFan' post='1119849' date='Nov 14 2006, 02:42 PM']
Eeep, sorry about my use of language. :pinch:
I don't want to dig myself into a deeper hole here, but meant "loose" in terms of comparison with, say, the Poor Clares, who, as far as I know, never-ever leave. I didn't mean it in terms of being "loose" on the established norms. :duh: :doh:

When I mentioned Farmington, I should have clarified that while they do have externs (though I only thought there were three - Sr. Anna Marie, Sr. Faustina Marie, and Sr. Miriam), the community is large enough that some of the non-externs are drivers as well.

:doh:
[/quote]

You're forgiven! :) Poor Clares make a vow of enclosure. We don't. Also, most of them have externs. Still, even the Colletine's have Federation meetings. They do go to the drs, I'm sure. They probably don't go home when their parents are too ill or old to travel and even that permission varies from monastery to monastery.

It would be IDEAL if we never had to go out but in today's world it's a necessity. I would love it!

Yes, non externs to go out at Farmington if necessary.
And yes there are 3 externs. Their used to be 4 but one changed her mind and decided to become a cloistered nun. Thanks for reminding me!

So, are you entering the Order????????

[quote name='Sr. Mary Catharine' post='1119902' date='Nov 14 2006, 03:38 PM']
You're forgiven! :) Poor Clares make a vow of enclosure. We don't. Also, most of them have externs. Still, even the Colletine's have Federation meetings. They do go to the drs, I'm sure. They probably don't go home when their parents are too ill or old to travel and even that permission varies from monastery to monastery.

It would be IDEAL if we never had to go out but in today's world it's a necessity. I would love it!

Yes, non externs to go out at Farmington if necessary.
And yes there are 3 externs. Their used to be 4 but one changed her mind and decided to become a cloistered nun. Thanks for reminding me!

So, are you entering the Order????????
[/quote]

God willing! I hope to enter the Eastern Province either this coming July or next (well, whatever time God wants me to enter).