An Old School Catholic Message Board

$100 Challenge Rules. Need Help

Brother Adam

Brother Adam

[quote name='Budge' post='1264083' date='May 4 2007, 11:52 AM']Also the anti-catholic rule, that cuts off everyone who truly disagrees with your church or holds a biblical view of where it stands meaning only milquetoast Revelation 17 Protestants could enter this contest but why would they feel so bothered. You may get a Calvinist to take up the offer...maybe.

I posted your challenge on my board.[/quote]

What anti-Catholic rule? I want even the most venomous, hate filled people, such as those from your board to enter the contest as well. I didn't make a rule against anyone entering the contest.

Maybe you meant about the prize - well let's say someone does win the contest. Obviously they are not going to donate the money to a Catholic group. I won't allow the money to be submitted to a group like Planned Parenthood, the UN, or other group that supports a moral evil. And I don't think it is out of this world that as a Catholic group we won't let the money be submitted to a group who's express purpose is anti-Catholic. That doesn't mean it could not be given to a non-Catholic group who's purpose was works of charity, education, something like the red-cross, I'd even give it to the Voice of the Martyrs, despite most of their staff being anti-Catholic.

there's that mechanism I was talking about in the other thread. it keeps you safe; if there's any coalition of opposition to you, it just means you must be all the more right.

while Christ did predict that His followers would be hated by the world (and Catholics have had their fair share of that through the ages up until today); just because you're hated by the world doesn't mean you're right.

I do believe the KKK is hated by "the world"; and the Westboro Baptist Church is hated by "the world"; Saddam Hussein became pretty much hated by "the world", certainly Osama Bin Laden is hated by "the world"; just because you're hated by the world doesn't mean you're right ;)

Anyway, the world is far from loving Rome; or even protestants or evangelicals for that matter.

Brother Adam

Here is an update on the rules. As I mentioned before we are still working on them to satisfy both legal obligations and be fair to everyone.

$100 Catholic Challenge
Official Rules - In Progress

Responding

1. Responses to this challenge must be submitted to the following email address: apologetics@catecheticsonline.com
2. Responses must include the real name of one person or organization who is submitting the response. Winners will need to verify their name and physical address for tax purposes.
3. This contest is open to all legal US residents, businesses, or other organizations. Respondents must be at least 18 years of age or older.
4. Responses are limited to 5 pages, double spaced, 1 inch margins, Times New Roman font. Any responses going over this limit will be discarded.
5. Catechetics Online may not be able to respond to every submission, but will make every effort to cover every topic or passage submitted. If two submissions cover the same topic or passage, the earlier submission will be accepted.
6. If Catechetics Online is ever overwhelmed with more responses than it can handle to respond to in a reasonable time, the email address for responses may be temporarily disabled until staff members are able to catch up.
7. Responses to this contest become the sole property of Catechetics Online, and therefore only original material may be submitted. Do not submit copyrighted material as your response. Catechetics Online may publish whole responses by any means at its own discretion.

What to think about before writing

1. Before submitting a response, it may be helpful to research the topic to see if any adequate answers have already been given.
2. Before submitting a response it also may be helpful to ensure a correct reading of a Bible passage or Church document. It is important to read in the context of what something is written.
3. It is best to avoid logical fallacies in your response. The Internet offers many websites which cover what logical fallacies are and how to avoid them. Logical fallacies severely weaken your argument. Examples are ad hominems, appeal to emotion, appeal to popularity, appeal to ridicule, begging the question, guilt by association, personal attack, post hoc, red herring, straw man, etc.

Topics

1. This challenge is to prove any of the following:
a. That the Catholic Church has explicitly taught contrary to a verse or passage in the Bible.
b. That the Catholic Church has contradicted itself on matters of doctrine or morals throughout its official teaching history.
2. The top of each response should first include the Bible verse, passage, or pericope. Or it should include the two supposed contradictory statements. It should quote or reference the official teaching of the Catholic Church. Forms have been included to help you in your response.

Permitted Sources

1. Any one of these resources may be used as official resources from the Catholic Church towards which responses may be directed.
2. The Holy Bible, The Catechism of the Catholic Church, the official documents of the Ecumenical councils, other writings which the Church has proclaimed in its ordinary or extraordinary competency. Sources of Catholic Dogma, and Fundamentals of Catholic Dogma are good places to find where the Church has spoken about your topic, but may not be used as sources themselves.

Claiming the Prize

1. If Catechetics Online, after consulting Catholic theologians and religious leaders determines that a response has won the contest, they will contact the person or organization who made the submission and asked for the name and address charitable organization of their choice. A check will be mailed to the organization within 30 days of receiving the name. If the winner does not respond with a charity within 60 days the funds will be given to a charitable organization of our choosing.
2. The charitable organization must be approved at the sole discretion of the webmaster of Catechetics Online. No charity that supports a moral evil or is strictly anti-Catholic in its purpose may be chosen as the recipient of this prize. The organization must have 401©3 status in the United States of America.

Examples of submissions

1. Example A: John Smith believes that the Catholic Churches teaching on transubstantiation is expressly anti-biblical. He believes that it violates Luke 22:19. John Smith should then download the submission form filling out the contact information. He should first quote Luke 22:19, using any Bible version he wishes. He should then quote the official teaching of the Catholic Church on transubstantiation. The easiest way to find this is for John Smith to search the Catechism of the Catholic Church online. John Smith can then submit up to 5 pages of commentary explaining his reasoning.
2. Example B: John Smith believes that the Catholic Church at one time taught that the Jesus was only symbolically present in the Eucharist, but has since changed its teaching. He should submit two quotes from the official teaching of the Church which exemplifies the discrepancy. Each quote must include a source for verification purposes. He can then give up to 5 pages of commentary explaining the discrepancy.

Definitions

[quote]The Syllabus of Errors published by Pius XI is published by the Vatican using their ordinary competency.

Also, one must remember that the claim of the Church is that it is infallible on matters (teachings) of faith and morals. So something dealing with canon law, which regularly changes, would not count.[/quote]Its pretty simple for you to win, when you can just point to a long held Catholic teaching and say it was never dogmatic or definitive, the convienience is that this is done AFTEr the matter.

So am I to assume the Syllabus of Errors even though it is a Pope preaching on FAITH AND MORALS is not infallible?

There I caught you in a contradiction RIGHT THERE>
[quote]
890 The mission of the Magisterium is linked to the definitive nature of the covenant established by God with his people in Christ. It is this Magisterium's task to preserve God's people from deviations and defections and to guarantee them the objective possibility of professing the true faith without error. Thus, the pastoral duty of the Magisterium is aimed at seeing to it that the People of God abides in the truth that liberates.[b] To fulfill this service, Christ endowed the Church's shepherds with the charism of infallibility in matters of faith and morals. [/b]The exercise of this charism takes several forms[/quote]

Brother Adam

[quote name='Budge' post='1264328' date='May 4 2007, 05:27 PM']Its pretty simple for you to win, when you can just point to a long held Catholic teaching and say it was never dogmatic or definitive, the convienience is that this is done AFTEr the matter.

So am I to assume the Syllabus of Errors even though it is a Pope preaching on FAITH AND MORALS is not infallible?

There I caught you in a contradiction RIGHT THERE>[/quote]

I did just say:

[quote]The Syllabus of Errors published by Pius XI is published by the Vatican using their ordinary competency.[/quote]

Didn't I?

Ordinary Compentency...

so if they are just being[b] ordinary[/b],[instead of strange hehehehehe] they arent infallbile on faith and morals?

Seriously, that makes no sense dude. cause thats not what the CCC says...

:idontknow:

Brother Adam

[quote name='Budge' post='1264372' date='May 4 2007, 06:02 PM']Ordinary Compentency...

so if they are just being[b] ordinary[/b],[instead of strange hehehehehe] they arent infallbile on faith and morals?

Seriously, that makes no sense dude. cause thats not what the CCC says...

:idontknow:[/quote]

Yes, the syllabus of errors is infallible. I never said it wasn't. You simply assumed.

Ill do a thread early next week showing you that the Syllabus of Errors has things within it that are contradicted by present Popes.

Brother Adam you better change that copyright rule, because Tan on my board is right about the Vatican materials, the USCCB even copyrighted the Catholic NAB...

[mod]Please don't link to this site. --Era Might[/mod]

Guest T-Bone

Actually you can use excerpts of any copyrighted material. It's called the education use clause.

Brother Adam

[quote name='Budge' post='1264650' date='May 5 2007, 12:11 AM']Brother Adam you better change that copyright rule, because Tan on my board is right about the Vatican materials, the USCCB even copyrighted the Catholic NAB...

[mod]Please don't link to this site. --Era Might[/mod][/quote]

I don't need to change anything about the copyright clause. If you submit someone else's work for the 'up to 5 pages' of explanation, then you are stealing from them. The copyright clause has nothing to do with quoting a church document or Bible verse, but the submission as a whole.

Brother Adam

[quote name='Budge' post='1264637' date='May 4 2007, 11:55 PM']Ill do a thread early next week showing you that the Syllabus of Errors has things within it that are contradicted by present Popes.[/quote]

You're welcome to, but its already been done, and the fallacious reasoning behind the assertation has already been pointed out by people smarter than I am here. I typically don't read long drawn out threads here anyway.

Brother Adam

Latest update to the rules, like any work in progress, many more to follow I quite imagine.

$100 Catholic Challenge
Official Rules

Topics

1. This challenge is to prove any of the following:
a. That the Catholic Church has explicitly taught contrary to a verse or passage in the Bible.
b. The Catholic Church has contradicted itself or changed its official teaching in areas where it expresses the charism of infallibility

2. The top of each submission should first include the Bible verse, passage, or pericope. Or it should include the two supposed contradictory statements. It should quote or reference the official teaching of the Catholic Church. Then you should give your own commentary or reasons on why you believe you are right. A form have been included to help you in your submission.

Submissions

1. Respondents must be at least 18 years of age or older.

2. Submissions to this challenge must be submitted to the following email address: apologetics@catecheticsonline.com

3. Submissions must include the real name of one person or organization who is submitting the response.

4. Winners will need to verify the name and postal address of the charity they wish the funds to go to.

5. The commentary on any one submission is limited to 2,500 words.

6. Catechetics Online may not be able to respond to every submission, but will make every effort to cover every topic or passage submitted. If two submissions cover the same topic or passage, the earlier submission will be accepted.

7. If Catechetics Online is ever overwhelmed with more responses than it can handle to respond to in a reasonable time, the email address for responses may be temporarily disabled until staff members are able to catch up. Catechetics Online will attempt to post a list of submission topics so others don’t spend time on something that has already been submitted.

8. Submissions to this contest become the sole property of Catechetics Online, and therefore only original material may be submitted as part of the commentary. Do not submit copyrighted material as the commentary for your response. Catechetics Online may publish whole submissions by any means and at its own discretion.

What to think about before writing

1. Before submitting a response, it may be helpful to research the topic to see if any adequate answers have already been given.

2. Before submitting a response it also may be helpful to ensure a correct reading of a Bible passage or Church document. It is important to read in the context of what something is written. Remember that Arius proved in one Bible passage that Jesus is not God. If the Bible consisted only of that Bible passage, his logic would have been fine.

3. It is best to avoid logical fallacies in your response. The Internet offers many websites which cover what logical fallacies are and how to avoid them. Logical fallacies severely weaken your argument. Examples are ad hominems, appeal to emotion, appeal to popularity, appeal to ridicule, begging the question, guilt by association, personal attack, post hoc, red herring, straw man, etc.

Permitted Sources

1. Any one of these resources may be used as official resources from the Catholic Church towards which responses may be directed.

2. The Holy Bible, The Catechism of the Catholic Church, the official documents of the Ecumenical councils, other writings which the Church has proclaimed in its ordinary or extraordinary competency. Sources of Catholic Dogma and Fundamentals of Catholic Dogma are good places to find where the Church has spoken about your topic, but may not be used as sources themselves. Look for places that the Church has exercised its infallibility in either its ordinary or extraordinary capacity. Example: An encyclical is fine to use. A priest’s homily is not.

Claiming the Prize

1. If Catechetics Online, after consulting Catholic theologians and religious leaders determines that a response has won the contest, they will contact the person or organization who made the submission and asked for the name and address charitable organization of their choice. A check will be mailed to the organization within 30 days of receiving the name. If the winner does not respond with a charity within 60 days the funds will be given to a charitable organization of our choosing.

2. The charitable organization must be approved at the sole discretion of the webmaster of Catechetics Online. No charity that supports a moral evil or is strictly anti-Catholic in its purpose may be chosen as the recipient of this prize (Examples: Planned Parenthood or Good News for Catholics, Inc). The organization must have 401©3 status in the United States of America.

Examples of submissions

1. Example A: John Smith believes that the Catholic Churches teaching on transubstantiation is expressly anti-biblical. He believes that it violates Luke 22:19. John Smith should then download the submission form filling out the contact information. He should first quote Luke 22:19, using any Bible version he wishes. He should then quote the official teaching of the Catholic Church on transubstantiation. The easiest way to find this is for John Smith to search the Catechism of the Catholic Church online. John Smith can then submit up to 2500 words of commentary explaining his reasoning.

2. Example B: John Smith believes that the Catholic Church at one time taught that the Jesus was only symbolically present in the Eucharist, but has since changed its teaching. He should submit two quotes from the official teaching of the Church which exemplifies the discrepancy. Each quote must include a source for verification purposes. He can then give up to 2500 words of commentary explaining the discrepancy.

---

$100 Catholic Challenge
Official Submission Form
*Your name and email address will not be published without your express permission, and only if your submission is a winning submission. You must submit your real name or organization to win.

Name or organization:
Contact Email Address:

Submit All Entries to: apologetics@catecheticsonline.com

This Submission will attempt to prove:
___ A. The Catholic Church has an official teaching which is directly contrary to scripture.
___ B. The Catholic Church has contradicted itself or changed its official teaching in areas where it expresses the charism of infallibility (doctrine or morals)

Brother Adam

A couple of thoughts - I'm going to rename the contest without a dollar amount because as time goes on the dollar amount will go up. It's already over $200 now.

Also, I'm thinking, should it be a 50/50 split? 50% of the money to a charity and 50% of the money to the person who submitted the winning submission?

I need a few good Catholic men and women who would like to receive submissions in their in box - if you are interested in helping answer submissions, please just PM me what areas you feel competent enough to answer.