An Old School Catholic Message Board

Wolverhampton Carmelite Monastery Today

AccountDeleted

Marieteresa

Oh wow, I thought the entrance ceremony was like the one in the St. Teresa of los Andes movie...The postulant enters the enclosure and kneels, while the sisters sing and hold candles. Anyway, i wonder if all the entrance ceremonies are the same at the various Carmels.....May Our Blessed Mother keep watch over you on your special day. God Bless you!

AccountDeleted

[quote name='jkaands' post='1328398' date='Jul 14 2007, 10:46 AM']At your Carmel, there is[i] no chance[/i] of your turning into a computer person, also (incidentally) a nun!

And, if you are not apprehensive and nervous before taking such a step, then you don't realize the enormity of the step you are taking. You [b]are [/b]nervous because, as a mature person, you [b]do[/b] appreciate the enormity of that step. It's like getting married. If you're not nervous on your wedding day (forgetting the trappings) that you don't really realize what a step you're taking![/quote]

Well said! Today I was finishing up some last minute things and didn't go to the convent but Mother phoned me in the afternoon just to make sure that I was feeling all right! She asked "Are you ok?" and I answered yes, but she said "Are you sure? " and I just felt so much love and concern from her. I reassured her that yes, I am fine (despite silly little nervous worries from time to time) and that I am indeed looking forward to tomorrow afternoon. So she said that was fine then and let me go, but I certainly appreciate the fact that she must have seen her share of nervous entrants and can understand just how life changing this all is!

And you are so right - if I didn't feel any concerns at all, it would most likely mean that I didn't realize just how important this step is. Maybe my nervousness can encourage someone who is reading this to have a little more courage in their own discernment. When I get really scared, sometimes I just think about Jesus before His trials all began and I "borrow" some of His courage. Then my fears don't seem quite as bad as they did before.

It is possible to want something very much and yet still be afraid of the consequences - the marriage analogy is very appropriate I think. Getting married is such a huge commitment and yet people keep doing it because love is so powerful. I think that women who have babies also face terrible fears about the pain involved, and yet they still want to do it - even after they have had one already - lol! :rolleyes: Some things are just worth doing - no matter what the sacrifices involved.

[quote name='nunsense' post='1328544' date='Jul 14 2007, 04:11 PM']There is no ceremony. It was described to me as simply entering the enclosure and being greeted by all the sisters with warma and loving hugs and then being taken to the chapel to spend time with Our Lord. Afterwards, Mother said she would take me to my cell to give me a little time to get settled in before we have Vespers for the feast of Our Lady of Mount Carmel at 5.30pm.

One of the nuns wrote this to me about their life...

"There is no entrance ceremony, postulants just come in quietly, and usually feel pretty much at sea for the first few days (it’s quite a culture shock, even for someone like me, who had been visiting the community for 13 years, and thought I knew all about it!). However, everyone is very helpful, kind and understanding, and a sister is allocated to help steer you round at the beginning. We usually find that what we are expecting to be really hard about this life isn’t so bad at all, and something we thought we could take in our stride can feel really difficult, so just be open for plenty of surprises, it is rare that one ever has to face oneself so much as we have to in Carmel, but it is in finding our true selves that we find God."[/quote]

IMO, that sounds like the epitome of good sense, remembering that the postulancy is a time when the woman may leave at any point. The ceremonies seem best reserved for when vows are made, and the commitment is more defined.

Hey,

Not sure if this is too late. God bless you dear Annie, and congratulations! May the Mother of Mt.Carmel, and all her little saints watch over you. :-)

In advance,
Happy Feast of Our Lady of Mt.Carmel!
Gabriel

AccountDeleted

Dear all. I am leaving in two hours, so am deleting all files now and just thought I would post a goodbye. I went to Mass this morning at a lovely old English church - very old and very ornate. I loved the Mass too - lots of ceremony. The best thing however, was that there was a side chapel to St Teresa of Avila! so I spent some time in prayer there, lit some candles for various people (yes, they still use good old fashioned wax candles!) and attended Mass. Afterwards I walked back to the hotel and on the way I said "goodbye" to the world :rolleyes:. I realized that there just isn't anything out here for me any more, and that I am really looking forward to enclosure and obedience!

I had one last Diet Coke - and am now ready to have a shower (probably one of the last as well since they have a bath at the convent!) and get dressed. This has been the most amazing journey of my life, and it is only just beginning. My thoughts and prayers are with you all. Thank you all for your good wishes and prayers as well. Phatmass is a wonderful place! :love:

Gabriel - I loved Singapore and wish you well with the priesthood. Don't lose that vocation! Stay safe and when you are a priest, say a Mass for me! It will be my job now to pray for you and your vocation, so you can be sure I will.

Bye. :pray:

Edited by nunsense

Chiquitunga

In honor of Annie's entrance, as she loved this movie dearly, here are a few beautiful clips from [url="http://www.teresadelosandes.org/anglais/a_video_teresa.php"][i]Teresa de los Andes[/i][/url]. Clip 5 is her entrance to Carmel. :love: