An Old School Catholic Message Board

Sects And Denominations

MC Just

ironmonk,

do you have the information to be specific as to what denominations are being corrupted by which sins? I would be interested to learn.

And I'm not referring those whacky 'universalist' churches or the ones where they deny the Trinity or some other obviously stupid garbage...I want to stick to mainstream protestant churches where they claim the bible as the ultimate authority. thanks.

mulls,

The first that comes to mind is Luther. His biggest tenet was Once Saved Always Saved. He just couldn't get his mind around repenting, screwing up, repenting, screwing up, etc. He felt once he was Saved, he could sin all he wanted. Catholicism on the other hand, knows God will forgive every repentant soul, no matter how many times they screw up.

Calvinists were almost the same. With him, you either In or Out from the get-go. You were pre-destined to sin and be forgiven. He couldn't comprehend the difference in an omnipotent God's foreknowledge and predestination in all things.

i meant current denominations that are actively participating in some sort of sin...i don't know if teaching OSAS or calvinist theology is necessarily a sin...i dont agree with either, and they will be held accountable for what they teach, but i don't know if it's quite sinning.

but i'm more interested in what denominations are active in "Fornication, adultery, homosexuality, contraception, abortion, etc..." as ironmonk said.

Winchester

The fundamental sin of all non-Catholic churches is disobedience. Various sins are approved of by these churches, with different sins approved of at different times.

A notable exception are the Schismatics: Orthodox Catholics. They've maintained orthodoxy. They still have Apostolic succesion, too.

ReformationNow

There's nothing wrong with Good protestants who treat Catholics with respect. I'm a little angry because there are a few ignorant protestants in my family who believe Catholics crucified Jesus.

Have they read the sermon in Acts which proves ALL OF US are guilty of Christ's death? What? Are these folk deadheads(no offense to your family bro)

My two sisters One is Baptist and the other is part of some denomination. She's the one who accuses catholics of crucifying Jesus. They do not know the scriptures all that well. They've been Protestant all their lives.

I'm interested...what are some of the sins that some of these denoms are enslaved by?

Well, Mulls, take King Henry VIII, for example.

He founded the Church of England, cuz the Catholic Church would not permit him to divorce his wife and remarry his mistress.

He began a bloody crusade of persecution against loyal Catholic clergy, seized Church property, and declared himself the head of "The Church of England," which today is the Episcopalian Church...founded on the sins of lust and adultery (not to mention murder.)

Others today wish to remain in a sin that they don't want to give up, so they'll leave the Catholic Church and join another sect. I know a lady who left the Catholic Church because it doesn't approve of invitro fertilization, for instance. She is now a reiki practitioner and has a doctorate of divinity in a non-denominational sect.

hyperdulia again

Whole Protestant denoms (Methodists and Episcopalians[Anglicans] come to mind) are threatening to break in two over homosexuality and all Protestant denominations think artificial contraception is acceptable, so from the Catholic viewpoint there is a lot of sin enslavement going on in protestantism.

Well, off the top of my head, a lot of mainstream Protestant denominations teach that birth control is acceptable. That's a grave sin.

Few realize that up until 1930, all Protestant denominations agreed with the Catholic Church’s teaching condemning contraception as sinful. At its 1930 Lambeth Conference, the Anglican church, swayed by growing social pressure, announced that contraception would be allowed in some circumstances. Soon the Anglican church completely caved in, allowing contraception across the board. Since then, all other Protestant denominations have followed suit. Today, the Catholic Church alone proclaims the historic Christian position on contraception.

http://www.catholic.com/library/birth_control.asp

Edited by Anna

I'm interested...what are some of the sins that some of these denoms are enslaved by?

mulls,

I think that IronMonk is referring to "some people" not "some denominations." It is individuals who don't want to let go of a particular sin, want to justify that behavior, and seek a denomination which will approve of it. Happens all the time, ever since the Reformation, in fact!

• 8 months later...
dairygirl4u2c

I think we all should study the Eastern Orthodox church a little more to see their justification for not following the papacy.