An Old School Catholic Message Board

Confessor=spiritual Director?

Romans1513

Well, I am supposed to be working on my mountain of homework, but I'm not. So I was thinking earlier today and I was thinking maybe when I get back I should get a regular confessor. Partly because I am struggling with the same sins over and over again, so I think that might help me with that one. But anyway, I was just wondering, for those of you who have a sppiritual director and a confessor, are they the same peprson? Would you recommend them being the same person? Or better to have different priests, assuming that is possible?

Random, I know.

Also, I'm thinking about a new spiritual director. Only problem is, what do I say to my old one? Would he feel bad? I just don't think he's right for me... ???

[quote name='Romans1513' post='1423073' date='Nov 20 2007, 10:22 PM']Well, I am supposed to be working on my mountain of homework, but I'm not. So I was thinking earlier today and I was thinking maybe when I get back I should get a regular confessor. Partly because I am struggling with the same sins over and over again, so I think that might help me with that one. But anyway, I was just wondering, for those of you who have a sppiritual director and a confessor, are they the same peprson? Would you recommend them being the same person? Or better to have different priests, assuming that is possible?

Random, I know.

Also, I'm thinking about a new spiritual director. Only problem is, what do I say to my old one? Would he feel bad? I just don't think he's right for me... ???[/quote]

I've done both -- I've had a priest who was my regular confessor, and a 2nd priest who was my sd; as well as had the same priest play both roles.

I kind of prefer having the same priest do both. Considering that the sd is supposed to be helping you with the spiritual life, it kind of make sense to have the one priest fill both roles and help you overcome those sins that are troublesome.

However if your sd is extremely busy then it may be easier to get to confession with a 2nd priest; however I strongly recommend keeping a constant regular confessor (especially if you're having problems with scrupulosity; a regular confessor will see that quicker than jumping from confessor to confessor).

Finally -- I would carefully discern *why* you want to change spiritual directors and make sure its not because you're trying to avoid taking his advice seriously (or that he's hitting too close to home). If after discerning you do need to change spiritual directors then speak with your spiritual director. When I had to change my sd to a new one (due to distance), my old sd and I became good friends.

Hope this helps,

-- Carmen

[quote name='cmariadiaz' post='1423086' date='Nov 20 2007, 11:51 PM']I've done both -- I've had a priest who was my regular confessor, and a 2nd priest who was my sd; as well as had the same priest play both roles.

I kind of prefer having the same priest do both. Considering that the sd is supposed to be helping you with the spiritual life, it kind of make sense to have the one priest fill both roles and help you overcome those sins that are troublesome.

However if your sd is extremely busy then it may be easier to get to confession with a 2nd priest; however I strongly recommend keeping a constant regular confessor (especially if you're having problems with scrupulosity; a regular confessor will see that quicker than jumping from confessor to confessor).

Finally -- I would carefully discern *why* you want to change spiritual directors and make sure its not because you're trying to avoid taking his advice seriously (or that he's hitting too close to home). If after discerning you do need to change spiritual directors then speak with your spiritual director. When I had to change my sd to a new one (due to distance), my old sd and I became good friends.

Hope this helps,

-- Carmen[/quote]

Thanks for your input!

I think I'm okay with the *why*... Partly is its because I haven't really gotten anywhere with my current SD, and not just because I'm studying abroad this semester. He's helped me out a lot with a couple side issues, but it seems whenever it comes to the big discernment stuff either our schedules aren't working out when I need it most or he doesn't respond to my emails... also, he's really involved in campus ministry and becoming more of a friend, so I think it would start getting weird, ESPECIALLY if he were my confessor too.

Yeah, so I guess I just need to tell him that... and then ask a new priest. I think I know who, but I'm not positive. Well, I guess I have until the next semester starts in January to figure this all out and pray about it all some more.

[quote name='Romans1513' post='1423339' date='Nov 21 2007, 06:14 PM']Thanks for your input!

I think I'm okay with the *why*... Partly is its because I haven't really gotten anywhere with my current SD, and not just because I'm studying abroad this semester. He's helped me out a lot with a couple side issues, but it seems whenever it comes to the big discernment stuff either our schedules aren't working out when I need it most or he doesn't respond to my emails... also, he's really involved in campus ministry and becoming more of a friend, so I think it would start getting weird, ESPECIALLY if he were my confessor too.

Yeah, so I guess I just need to tell him that... and then ask a new priest. I think I know who, but I'm not positive. Well, I guess I have until the next semester starts in January to figure this all out and pray about it all some more.[/quote]

You know I think I agree with the wierdness of having a sd/confessor who is a friend. My current sd/confessor has become a friend; and I think if I wasn't leaving shortly (to enter a convent) I'd strongly consider changing sd's/confessors due to this reason.

-- Carmen