An Old School Catholic Message Board

Crossdressing And The Catholic Church

frozencell

frozencell

I'm not sure if this has been covered somewhere in here before or not. Admittedly, I did not check first due to the urgent nature of a response. I have searched the entire internet and cannot find a definite answer. After some thought I remembered PhatMass would be the perfect place for a concise answer. So, does the Catholic Church specifically speak about crossdressing, and if so, what is so. If possible, please provide references...Thanks so much!!!!!

If you need a scriptural reference for a direct answer there is Duet 22:5.

"A woman shall not wear man's clothing, nor shall a man put on a woman's clothing; for whoever does these things is an abomination to the LORD your God."

Regardless if we interpret the above verse literally or not, I do think that crossdressing is a problem. The sin of such an act would come from two places. First of all, it certainly would cause public scandal to the individual and those around them. (family) For that reason alone it should be avoided. Secondly, many times crossdressing involves a sexual dimension and if this is the case the Church is very clear on its sexual morality.

The man or woman who feels the impulse to do this should seek the attention of a good Catholic counselor and a priest. I say this because crossdressing is a gender identity problem. Below is a quote from a Catholic Psychologist on crossdressing:

"Family members fail to understand that a boy who never takes the part of a male character, but identifies with either a benevolent, idealized female, such as a princess or Snow White, or a domineering, angry female is revealing a deep ambivalence toward his own masculinity and toward women."

Sincerely,

Fr. Pontifex

Edited by Pontifex

• 13 years later...

Thank you SO much for the charitable clarity, Father Pontifex!  We have a transvestite at our church.  I first saw him at our charismatic prayer group.  Afterwards, I went to the powder room down a dark hall alone.  He was there putting up some items after the session.  I was terrified because there was no lock on the door and did not know if he used the ladies room.  I shook for the rest of the day, I was so shocked and traumatized.  We spoke to all the powers-that-be and were told that they had come to "accept" it.  They also said that others had left over it, and that if we could not "accept" it, we might have to leave, too.  Talk about being scadalized! :(  This has been going on for at least six years now.  I feel guilty not going to mass, and yet I feel more guilty going and appearing to being accepting of this.  They also told a senior friend of mine that she could live with her boyfriend.  What ever happened to "avoid all appearances of evil?"  

On 3/8/2022 at 9:35 PM, Nonna said:

Thank you SO much for the charitable clarity, Father Pontifex!  We have a transvestite at our church.  I first saw him at our charismatic prayer group.  Afterwards, I went to the powder room down a dark hall alone.  He was there putting up some items after the session.  I was terrified because there was no lock on the door and did not know if he used the ladies room.  I shook for the rest of the day, I was so shocked and traumatized.  We spoke to all the powers-that-be and were told that they had come to "accept" it.  They also said that others had left over it, and that if we could not "accept" it, we might have to leave, too.  Talk about being scadalized! :(  This has been going on for at least six years now.  I feel guilty not going to mass, and yet I feel more guilty going and appearing to being accepting of this.  They also told a senior friend of mine that she could live with her boyfriend.  What ever happened to "avoid all appearances of evil?"  

What ever happened to “avoid all appearances of evil”?   Yet you’re purposely not going to mass.     Maybe you should consider doing the greater good instead of doing the lesser evil?    Go to Mass as the greater good for you.  You’re being more concerned over other’s sins, to justify your own.  

fides' Jack

If that is the only option for Mass, as a family man, I'm not sure what I would choose to do.  Under other circumstances it would be sinful for me to take my kids to a Mass where crossdressing is accepted.  Fortunately we have options in my area.  I would drive 5 hours to go to Mass on Sunday before I would entertain that level of evil.