An Old School Catholic Message Board

Top Ten Catholic Fiction Books

dUSt

AccountDeleted

Well, they are REALLY old but I love the Don Camillo series of books by Giovanni Guareschi . They are about a priest in a small Italian town run by a communist mayor. Don Camillo talks to the Crucified Christ from the crucifix in his church - and he is always getting into trouble. They are very sweet!

Ps - I love Chesterton's biographies! I am reading one now on Aquinas and St Francis.

Edited by nunsense

[quote name='dust (the ultra-handsome' post='1548256' date='May 29 2008, 12:59 PM']No Gene Wolfe or Tolkien yet?

I love Gene Wolfe.[/quote]

READ MY POST: LoTR.

[quote name='tgoldson' post='1547406' date='May 28 2008, 09:00 PM']I disagree. Pierced by a Sword was so dissatisfying I couldn't bring myself to even open the other two. The stereotypes bothered me. They were all donated to Goodwill.[/quote]

Certainly there were stereotypes, and like I said, they were a bit preachy, but if you can get past that, they are alright. I can't remember which one was about basically the end of the world, but I did like that one.

Although, again, they certainly, in parts, seem to be like he was trying too hard to be sure to make clear that he was CATHOLIC. Which bugged me. But the storyline was alright.

abercius24

Lord of the Rings

Bud MacFarlane's books (less the Garanbandal nonesense):
Pierced by a Sword
Concieved Without Sin
House of Gold

And I am ashamed to say I need to start reading some of the books that have been mentioned here. I'm rather excited there is more Catholic reading material out there now!

[quote name='rhetoricfemme' post='1545672' date='May 27 2008, 09:55 PM']I've only read two Catholic fiction books, both by Anne Rice.

Christ the Lord: Out of Egypt
Christ the Lord: Road to Cana (in the middle of this one)

Has anyone else read these books? What do you think of them? I think they are beautifully written and wonderful. I've gotten so very little Catholic feedback on these books, and I would recommend them to anyone, religious or otherwise.

It makes me a little sad that when I recommend them to friends who I know enjoy old Anne Rice, I mostly seem to get responses about how, "She got all religious and stuff." It breaks my heart to hear people say this in a negative way, but I also know people who aren't Christians who want to read these books, and I can only pray that they could help to bring them closer to the Lord.[/quote]

Isn't this the gal that did the quasi-occultic Vampire series? If so and she's found a conversion and passion for her faith, then God bless her for the striking witness she offers!

Edited by abercius24

rhetoricfemme

[quote name='abercius24' post='1549079' date='May 29 2008, 11:20 PM']Isn't this the gal that did the quasi-occultic Vampire series? If so and she's found a conversion and passion for her faith, then God bless her for the striking witness she offers![/quote]

She did write the Vampire Chronicles. Personally, I love those books. I don't see them as occult-like at all. She used supernatural creatures as metaphors for human behavior, and she created her own mythology without even trying. And honestly, if you read those books, it's not too hard to see a woman on a journey to her own faith. She was brought up with a very Catholic existence. When she got to college she lost her faith. She is a writer, and began writing what would become the Vampire Chronicles. Even Lestat, the hero and most celebrated character, vocalizes a yearning for God within the books. She came back to the Church in 1998 after being away for 32 years.

Lol, sorry for the mini-biography. I'm a big Anne Rice nerd. But yes, her books about Christ are beautifully written and (at least for me) are a great help in humanizing Christ and everything He did for us.

If you read earlier in this thread, I linked to her Youtube page, where she talks very much about both her books and her Catholicity. Is that a word?

abercius24

[quote name='rhetoricfemme' post='1549504' date='May 30 2008, 01:37 PM']She did write the Vampire Chronicles. Personally, I love those books. I don't see them as occult-like at all. She used supernatural creatures as metaphors for human behavior, and she created her own mythology without even trying. And honestly, if you read those books, it's not too hard to see a woman on a journey to her own faith. She was brought up with a very Catholic existence. When she got to college she lost her faith. She is a writer, and began writing what would become the Vampire Chronicles. Even Lestat, the hero and most celebrated character, vocalizes a yearning for God within the books. She came back to the Church in 1998 after being away for 32 years.

Lol, sorry for the mini-biography. I'm a big Anne Rice nerd. But yes, her books about Christ are beautifully written and (at least for me) are a great help in humanizing Christ and everything He did for us.

If you read earlier in this thread, I linked to her Youtube page, where she talks very much about both her books and her Catholicity. Is that a word?[/quote]

It certainly is a word and please feel free to use it regularly!

I found your link earlier. Very inspiring! I am a bit concerned that some of her earlier works (particularly those of the more erotic nature) should be something she recommend others of a sensitive spirituality or generally-trouble morality try to avoid. I do understand that she cannot deny the value of her past work -- especially in terms of its artistic value -- if her heart was truly seeking to bring about goodness in others as she understood it at the time. All in all, I think she is a great witness to other Catholic artists to begin exploring their life and love of the Lord through their art, as did C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien. In fact, many of us Catholic musicians are looking to help promote such literary pursuits by exposing our audiences to such writers. Imagine a chance to read some of your work after a good Catholic band! Good Catholic literature is just as inspiring as good Catholic music!

goldenchild17

[quote name='tgoldson' post='1547406' date='May 28 2008, 09:00 PM']I disagree. Pierced by a Sword was so dissatisfying I couldn't bring myself to even open the other two. The stereotypes bothered me. They were all donated to Goodwill.[/quote]

they were kind of interesting, so I did finish them. But you're right, I didn't think they were very good either.

• 2 weeks later...

Only read two Catholic Fiction novels and both were excellent:

1. Mr Blue by Myles Connelly: out of this world tale of a young enigmatic man who roams Boston and New York.

2. Lord of the World by Hugh Benson: fictional story about the Last Pope and Antichrist

[quote name='nunsense' post='1545907' date='May 27 2008, 10:43 PM']Anne Rice's two about Jesus are good

also Michael D O'Brien has done some fantastic books
Father Elijah (about a Carmelite priest near the end times - loved it!)
A Cry of Stone
Strangers and Sojourners
Plague Journal
Eclipse of the Sun
Sophia House
and Louis de Wohl is a good read too
Set All Afire (about St francis Xavier)
The Quiet Light (about St Thomas Aquinas)
Lay Siege to Heaven (about St Catherine of Sienna)
The Restless Flame (about St Augustine)
and Robert Hugh Benson
Lord of the World (about the Anti-Christ)[/quote]

Michael O'Brien is one of the best authors I've every read. A Cry of Stone was my favorite, but I get something different from every book. They've all touched me. I ordered his newest book a few days ago - so excited for it!! And I agree, Louis de Wohl's stuff is good too. I haven't read any of Anne Rice's stuff, maybe I'll look into it. And of course, there is Lord of the Rings :)

missionarybelle

i like Regina Doman's books
Shadow of the Bear
Black as Night
Waking Rose

they're fairy tales retold in a modern day setting and very Catholic.
i love them :)

I also enjoyed Arms of Love and Surrender but they're not as big of favorites.

Oooh yes, I love Regina Doman's books, how could I have forgotten them! Although I didn't like Arms of Love, and never really got into Surrender, Arms of Love just didn't seem very realistic, although I suppose it could be.

[quote name='tinytherese' post='1569318' date='Jun 12 2008, 02:07 AM']Flannery O'Connor's works.[/quote]

Amen.

Also -- ahem!! KAROL WOJTYLA! How could we forget? He wrote some great plays (they count as fiction, right?) including my personal favorite -- [u]The Jeweler's Shop[/u]. I dont know if his poetry counts or not, but the anthology [u]Easter Vigil[/u] is very soul-stirring.

Also, Chesterton's [u]The Ball and the Cross[/u] is worthwhile, and Henryk Sienkiewicz's [u]Quo Vadis[/u] is a very good read as well. Anything of Sienkiewicz's is amazing, really.