An Old School Catholic Message Board

Nashville Dominicans & Ann Arbor Dominicans

Maria Faustina

Maria Faustina

Hi all. Yesterday, I was looking at the Dominican Sister of Mary, Mother of the Eucharist website, and I noticed that they were founded by four Nashville Dominicans. I was wondering what the story behind that was. Was it just fufilling JP II's request for a renewal of religious life, or was it a disagreement in Nashville? I don't mean to stir anything up, I just wanted to know the reason why they seperated. Thanks!

In Christ,

Maria Faustina

[quote name='Maria Faustina' post='1556176' date='Jun 3 2008, 04:18 PM']Hi all. Yesterday, I was looking at the Dominican Sister of Mary, Mother of the Eucharist website, and I noticed that they were founded by four Nashville Dominicans. I was wondering what the story behind that was. Was it just fufilling JP II's request for a renewal of religious life, or was it a disagreement in Nashville? I don't mean to stir anything up, I just wanted to know the reason why they seperated. Thanks!

In Christ,

Maria Faustina[/quote]

It was an amicable split, in response to JPII's call for the New Evangelization.

Blessings,
Gemma

Thomist-in-Training

Ann Arbor does many kinds of evangelization, not just mainly teaching (they have those EWTN shows and whatnot). And a friend who visited said the Ann Arbor sisters were more "bubbly" and lively and the Nashville sisters were a little quieter. That spiritedness seems to be part of new communities. She also noticed that there were many girls joining Ann Arbor out of high school, which she didn't like, but I don't think it's bad at all if it's the place for you.

Ave Maria Totus Tuus

Yes, the DSMME were founded by four Sisters from Nashville, whom all felt individual calls to follow JP2's call to the New Evangelization by expanding their apostolate from only teaching into a new community. Mother Assumpta of SMME was actually the Prioress General of the Nashville Dominicans from 1976-1988 (I think).

Nashville has always had a firm position in serving in one specific apostolate, which for them is of course teaching. This was especially brought up as a great importance from Mother Marie William MacGregor, the Prioress General in Nashville from 1964-1976, during the turbulent times following Vatican II, when religious orders were quite literally falling apart. I really encourage you all to [url="http://www.nashvilledominican.org/Charism/Congregation_History/History_III.htm"]read more[/url] about Mother Marie William. She was integral in the foundation of CMSWR, recognized the importance of contemplative and monastic life even in the active apostolate, and the necessity of the habit. She is a saint and is the reason Nashville and other orders have survived following that tumult.

Two beautiful orders! God love them and bless them!

RosaMystica

Not only do the Dominican Sisters of Mary in Ann Arbor do many different kinds of evangelization besides teaching, but the mission is also to renew religious life. Their plan is to expand and open religious communities all around the U.S. and the world. The Dominican Sisters of St. Cecilia have Sisters in different parts of the country teaching but they plan to just expand their Community rather than open new ones like the Sisters of Mary. They're both very similar and both very beautiful. A friend of mine will hopefully be entering the Nashville Dominicans this year. As for myself, I can't wait to enter with the Sisters of Mary this August!!! :)

Edited by RosaMystica

Maria Faustina

[quote name='MandyKhatoon' post='1557043' date='Jun 4 2008, 02:35 AM']Not only do the Dominican Sisters of Mary in Ann Arbor do many different kinds of evangelization besides teaching, but the mission is also to renew religious life. Their plan is to expand and open religious communities all around the U.S. and the world. The Dominican Sisters of St. Cecilia have Sisters in different parts of the country teaching but they plan to just expand their Community rather than open new ones like the Sisters of Mary. They're both very similar and both very beautiful. A friend of mine will hopefully be entering the Nashville Dominicans this year. As for myself, I can't wait to enter with the Sisters of Mary this August!!! :)[/quote]

Congratulations!!!! That must be so exciting!!! I wish I were old enough to even make a retreat somewhere <_<
I'll be praying for you and your friend!

Edited by Maria Faustina

RosaMystica

[quote name='Maria Faustina' post='1557079' date='Jun 4 2008, 03:10 AM']Congratulations!!!! That must be so exciting!!! I wish I were old enough to even make a retreat somewhere <_<
I'll be praying for you and your friend![/quote]

Thank you so much!! I'm praying for you, too! Don't worry, time will fly by and before you know it you'll be a religious sister! :cool: A very good friend of mine who entered with the Sisters of Mary this past year has known them and had wanted to enter since the 6th grade!

tinytherese

Dominicans Sisters of Mary will be guest stars on Life on the Rock soon! This month I think.

Thomist-in-Training

[quote name='MandyKhatoon' post='1557043' date='Jun 4 2008, 01:35 AM']Not only do the Dominican Sisters of Mary in Ann Arbor do many different kinds of evangelization besides teaching, but the mission is also to renew religious life. Their plan is to expand and open religious communities all around the U.S. and the world. The Dominican Sisters of St. Cecilia have Sisters in different parts of the country teaching but they plan to just expand their Community rather than open new ones like the Sisters of Mary. They're both very similar and both very beautiful. A friend of mine will hopefully be entering the Nashville Dominicans this year. As for myself, I can't wait to enter with the Sisters of Mary this August!!! :)[/quote]

Oh wow, congratulations!

When you say open religious communities all around, you mean SMME houses, right? As opposed to Nashville having only one house where all the Sisters come for holidays? :unsure:

RosaMystica

[quote name='Thomist-in-Training' post='1558434' date='Jun 4 2008, 10:18 PM']Oh wow, congratulations!

When you say open religious communities all around, you mean SMME houses, right? As opposed to Nashville having only one house where all the Sisters come for holidays? :unsure:[/quote]

Not exactly. There will be new Communities of Dominicans that will be stemmed from the SMME but completely all their own with a different name, medal, and everything. For example they will not be called the Dominican Sisters of Mary, Mother of the Eucharist but maybe Dominican Sisters of Mary, Spouse of the Holy Spirit or something like that.

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='MandyKhatoon' post='1558844' date='Jun 5 2008, 12:06 AM']Not exactly. There will be new Communities of Dominicans that will be stemmed from the SMME but completely all their own with a different name, medal, and everything. For example they will not be called the Dominican Sisters of Mary, Mother of the Eucharist but maybe Dominican Sisters of Mary, Spouse of the Holy Spirit or something like that.[/quote]

Are there any as of yet? Or are they mostly still in the making or even just something for the future?

RosaMystica

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' post='1559125' date='Jun 5 2008, 01:31 AM']Are there any as of yet? Or are they mostly still in the making or even just something for the future?[/quote]
Nope there are none as of yet. I know of one that is in the making right now with the Sisters in the Sacramento diocese, but nothing maybe finalized for another couple of years.

Edited by RosaMystica

[quote name='MandyKhatoon' post='1559281' date='Jun 5 2008, 06:23 AM']Nope there are none as of yet. I know of one that is in the making right now with the Sisters in the Sacramento diocese, but nothing maybe finalized for another couple of years.[/quote]

Wow. I didn't know that about Ann Arbor.

What's the deal with the sisters in Sacramento?

Blessings,
Gemma

[quote name='Gemma' post='1560054' date='Jun 5 2008, 05:10 PM']Wow. I didn't know that about Ann Arbor.

What's the deal with the sisters in Sacramento?

Blessings,
Gemma[/quote]

I think they are working toward establishing the Regina Caeli convent. Check out this link with more info on this topic:

[url="http://www.sistersofmary.org/article.php?id=322"]http://www.sistersofmary.org/article.php?id=322[/url]

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='Carolyn' post='1560432' date='Jun 5 2008, 10:23 PM']I think they are working toward establishing the Regina Caeli convent. Check out this link with more info on this topic:

[url="http://www.sistersofmary.org/article.php?id=322"]http://www.sistersofmary.org/article.php?id=322[/url][/quote]

Hm-- so this is for sure them trying to start a new community, not just a mission that is still part of the original community?