An Old School Catholic Message Board

Ladies, Do You Wear Headcoverings/veils For Mass?

LilyofSaintMaria

Ladies, Do You Wear Headcoverings/veils For Mass?  

111 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

LilyofSaintMaria

I was wondering, after going through the many, many pages of threads about veiling, how many of you actually veil?

Also, curious too:
What are your ages and where are you from?
Why do you veil and why do you think other girls should follow in suit?
If you don't, why don't you?
If you do, what kind of "veil" do you wear and how do you put it on?
Apart from the veil, what else do you normally wear to Church?

Hey, and please no debating here - I am just plain interested in how many of you do and for what reasons. I am hoping to put my findings into a type of essay or something like that.

Edited by LilyofSaintMaria

I put sometimes, because I do so when in a church or country where it is expected and polite to do so.

TeresaBenedicta

Eh, I don't care for the exclamation mark ! at the end of "No", lol.

No, I don't wear a headcovering/veil. Why? Honestly, I think it's mostly because I don't want to draw attention to myself or for people to think I'm trying to be "holier than thou".

puellapaschalis

I veil whenever I'm in church and some of the time when praying at home.

[quote name='LilyofSaintMaria' post='1577281' date='Jun 20 2008, 03:43 PM']What are your ages and where are you from?[/quote]

I'm a puella and I live in the Netherlands. I'm an exception to the rule here. Some call it standing out, others call it blazing a trail.

[quote name='LilyofSaintMaria' post='1577281' date='Jun 20 2008, 03:43 PM']Why do you veil and why do you think other girls should follow in suit?[/quote]

Because I'm a woman and the way I as a woman relate to God (or rather, am open to His relationship with me) commands it. It would be great if more women would do it but it has to be the response of the individual heart to Him rather than something ladies just [i]do[/i].

[quote name='LilyofSaintMaria' post='1577281' date='Jun 20 2008, 03:43 PM']If you don't, why don't you?[/quote]

n/a ;)

[quote name='LilyofSaintMaria' post='1577281' date='Jun 20 2008, 03:43 PM']If you do, what kind of "veil" do you wear and how do you put it on?[/quote]

I have a mantilla which I fix on with hair grips. Most of the time I wear a headscarf - a piece of fabric tied at the back of my neck (as opposed to the hijab-style). I've been known to use scarves and hoods and hoodies.

[quote name='LilyofSaintMaria' post='1577281' date='Jun 20 2008, 03:43 PM']Apart from the veil, what else do you normally wear to Church?[/quote]

I'm a long (as in ankle-length) skirt person, together with sandals or socks and walking shoes (not glamorous but comfy). Tops are generally polo-type things or t-shirts or sometimes an extreme layering project. The thing where my dress wouldn't always be called "modest" (depending on how you define the word) is the neckline, although normally there's a jumper or the like over the top.

Yea, I stand out in church. But I've learnt how to smile and at least try to live up to the standard that my dress demands of me. And I'm slowly getting better at answering people's questions (like the time I actually served at Mass with my head wrapped up in black - the priest thought it was great but I got a bit of a grilling from some ladies who thought they'd been liberated from that kind of nonsense in the 70s. Along with the bra or whatnot :rolleyes: ). The patience I've learnt is very much needed in my character and is a cool bonus. Laudetur Jesus Christus :)

DiscerningSoul

I just started to wear my veil for Mass.

I wear the large white lace triangle one with two bobby pins at the temples.

I have also started to wear long ankle long skirts with some kind of nice blouse or polo T, something modest of course. for shoes I have these flats that have a velcro ctrap on them.

Why wear one? 1 cor 11 5-7, and after reading alot about veiling it honors or faith and Mary.
You can find many links I found in a thread that is currently on the second page: [url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=81087"]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=81087[/url]

hope that helps :saint:

Thomist-in-Training

20, US, Bible Belt (I just live here, not from here.)

"Why do you veil and why do you think other girls should follow in suit? "

I actually picked it up from watching other girls who wore them to make a visit to the church, and for Mass; combined with reading articles on the Internet about why; and the Scripture passage that DS cites. Another reason for me is that the girl who was teaching me how to assist at the TLM lent me a veil and said "here you go, you wear this for Mass." At the time, I was struggling with what to do about the newer Mass. So I reasoned, "If they are both Mass, it must be good to wear a veil for both of them." I also received encouragement from a few guys (who can't wear them themselves, but said "nice veil" to indicate approval) and a priest I asked about the Corinthians passage. He said it was a fine custom, so I took that as "permission."

At the TLM a white lace mantilla unless it would match badly, and then I have a beige summer hat or a grey wool felt winter hat and a few scarves (bronze, dark brown) that I wear if I'm going to Mass with my family, who are annoyed by the mantilla but not by hats. If I'm just making a visit to the church and dressed extremely casually I may wear a bandana. Or for the very few times I have to go to Mass right after work cleaning, for Mass also.

Sundays, "dressy" looking blouse or sweater, something with sleeves; skirt at least a little past knee length; heels or sometimes sandals. Week, the next step down if I have time to get dressed nice (sometimes if I'm going in the morning, I will also wear heels and about the same as Sunday), otherwise whatever I usually wear, which is skirt at least a little past knee length and t-shirt or blouse, and sandals in the summer or flats in the winter.

TeresaBenedicta

I forgot to answer the first part of the question...

I'm 19, from Washington state, but I go to school in Maryland.

I also find that I have grown up being taught that you always take hats/bandana's/scarf/etc off when you enter a building. Perhaps that's just a guy thing that got made more general.

I'm not against wearing one, and I've considered it on many occasions... just haven't quite the courage to do it for the first time.

I don't normally. However, I when I attended a Latin Mass at St. Boniface, I wore a white, lacy one. The girl who put it on me was so nice ^__^

RosaMystica

I'm 20 and I'm from the Detroit area

Why do you veil and why do you think other girls should follow in suit?
I wear a veil at every Sunday Mass. I'm in a choir that is lead by a religious sister and she made it a requirement that we wear one. It's actually part of our uniform. I sometimes veil at daily Mass depending on which Church I go to. When I go to Mass at my parish during a certain time I don't because of the same reason that TeresaBenedicta mentioned. I know a lot of the people will think I'm trying to be "holier than thou." I want to wear a veil as a sign of modesty, but I don't want others to sin in their hearts.
I think all girl should wear veils as a sign of modesty and honor Our Lady. I think it's especially important to wear viels during this time to be a witness in a time where people think wearing less is better. I also think all women should be an example of Our Lady to the world and this is a beautiful way to do that.

I wear a white, lace mantilla and I hold it in place with a bobby pin sort of through the middle. I put it in through the holes of the lace so it doesn't really show. :)

I always dress modestly. I always wear long sleeves, with my shirt up to my neck or at least three fingers width from my neck. I wear pants but I also try not to wear anything that's very fitting/tight.

RosaMystica

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' post='1577628' date='Jun 20 2008, 03:17 PM']I'm not against wearing one, and I've considered it on many occasions... just haven't quite the courage to do it for the first time.[/quote]

I just started wearing one about a year and half ago and it's really, really hard at first. But once you get it on all the fear goes away. I remember feeling terrified before the first time I wore my chapel veil but I prayed for courage and I received a lot of grace. It's very humbling.

DiscerningSoul

oversight, I forgot the 1st part!

How old am I, LOL I am 37 years young and I am from upper side of CT near MA.

Now that I am veiling at my home parish, I noticed today I feel funny at the other chruches, I didn't veil today at the Basilica Minior. Have to correct that!

TeresaBenedicta

I may be completely stupid here, but I'm rather ignorant... why does wearing a veil/headcovering honor Our Lady?

Nihil Obstat

I've never seen any women going to church with veils.
Maybe this is more prevalent in America?

Is this a question of modesty?

He is Risen!

I am 24 and grew up in Kansas. There I would wear a mantilla if I were stopping in for adoration or weekday mass because I could stuff it in my purse. On Sunday, usually a nice hat that matched my outfit. Now that I'm in Rochester and in an uber liberal diocese, I usually stick to a hat or bandana and sit in the back where nobody will see me and think I'm "holier than thou". I do wear a skirt or dress because nobody needs to see the outline of my caboose in that much detail. Other than that, I just make sure that everything is clean and ironed.

Nihil Obstat

I always dress well for church, but even that's become less emphasized these days... What happened to the Sunday best?
So I take it then that wearing a veil is a sign of modesty, right? I haven't thought this over in any detail, but it seems to me that ideas of modesty in general are changing. Let's be honest, they have at times been fairly restrictive. Since it's not official church doctrine, it doesn't bother me to see appropriate easing of rules on that...
...of course, I am a guy. :blink: