An Old School Catholic Message Board

*sigh

missionseeker

missionseeker

I had a nightmare about my grandmother's husband last night.

I haven't had one of those in a while.

I'm getting very frustrated. I'm starting to think "I hate him" and I haven't realy done that in years.

:sadder:

Pray for him, and try to do it every day. Even if it's a Hail Mary. Something small.

A few months ago there was a guy who was forever getting under my skin, and I found myself confessing slander and malice toward this person. My penance was to pray for them every day...it forced me to humble myself enough to entrust them to God. For a while, I hated it, but I did eventually let go of that hatred.

Many, many prayers and lots of love for you, sister. Holler if you need a friend. *****HUGS*****

My mom has lived with someone for over 20 years that upsets/scares all of us. I tried to be civil and Christian with him, and mostly succeeded until about 4 years ago when he did something so inappropriate in my presence, that I no longer felt safe in the same room with him. My father was good man, a honorable gentleman, and I know it must grieve him to see the man my mother has been with since his death. All I can do is pray, and hope I don't have bad dreams about him.

MS I don't know the story behind the man that you had a dream about....But I can just say that if I have a dream about my grandfather it sends me through a tail spin for awhile.

I had many shink appointments and they help for awhile....but all in all I asked for help though the church. I still struggle with every now and then. When he is in town I am warned before hand and avoid family gatherings. I would rather miss family get togethers then spend months with back flashes and nightmares of a sick persons behavior.

Let me know if you need to talk.

Nikki

:console:

[quote name='missionseeker' post='1587334' date='Jun 30 2008, 05:24 PM']I had a nightmare about my grandmother's husband last night.

I haven't had one of those in a while.

I'm getting very frustrated. I'm starting to think "I hate him" and I haven't realy done that in years.

:sadder:[/quote]

im very sorry you had that nightmare. you are definitely in my prayers. :pray:

missionseeker

[quote name='MissyP89' post='1587336' date='Jun 30 2008, 05:31 PM']Pray for him, and try to do it every day. Even if it's a Hail Mary. Something small.

A few months ago there was a guy who was forever getting under my skin, and I found myself confessing slander and malice toward this person. My penance was to pray for them every day...it forced me to humble myself enough to entrust them to God. For a while, I hated it, but I did eventually let go of that hatred.

Many, many prayers and lots of love for you, sister. Holler if you need a friend. *****HUGS*****[/quote]
Thanks I will (try to) do that. I almost couldn't this afternoon. I seriously thought I was going to gag myself and vomit instead. :( How did I get like that?

[quote name='Faith 1st' post='1587377' date='Jun 30 2008, 06:48 PM']MS I don't know the story behind the man that you had a dream about....But I can just say that if I have a dream about my grandfather it sends me through a tail spin for awhile.

I had many shink appointments and they help for awhile....but all in all I asked for help though the church. I still struggle with every now and then. When he is in town I am warned before hand and avoid family gatherings. I would rather miss family get togethers then spend months with back flashes and nightmares of a sick persons behavior.

Let me know if you need to talk.

Nikki

:console:[/quote]

I've never gotten help. I have appointments in September. I am nervous. Three preists have been very helpful to me.

One of them just left Phatmass :sadder:

missionseeker

I found an appropriate prayer, I think

LORD,

remember Christ your Son

who is peace itself and who has washed away our hatred with his blood.

Because you love all people, look with mercy on us.

Banish the violence and evil within us,

and in answer to our prayers restore tranquility and peace. Amen.

I'm sorry that you have to go through this....

Knightec was a big help for me. I didn't tell anyone until I was in college 10 years after the fact. I was too scared that my mom would not believe me. I had a nervous break down at school after a human sexuality class and I was freaking out because I had a flood of flash backs....I couldn't sleep for days. Finally I went to talk to someone and came to the conclusion that hurting myself would not make the nightmare of what had happened go away.

I was admitted into the hospital for 4 weeks and tried to find my peace. I can get through everything ok now...but like I said, I avoid him when he comes into town. I'm lucky though....he lives in Mexico and is getting to old to travel.

At the end my mom apoligized for what had happened and I found out that I was not his only victim.....there were more. So that was our family secret. What I did do was I told everyone one of my cousins what had happened and they could use the information as they saw fit. I [i]think[/i] that I was the only one on our family or at least the only one that had the self power to say out loud what I went through at the age of 10.

Say your pray when you have these dreams and know that God is with oyu when you are in need of peace...you are not alone [b]he[/b] is there with you.

missionseeker

[quote name='Faith 1st' post='1588153' date='Jul 1 2008, 10:12 AM']I'm sorry that you have to go through this....

Knightec was a big help for me. I didn't tell anyone until I was in college 10 years after the fact. I was too scared that my mom would not believe me. I had a nervous break down at school after a human sexuality class and I was freaking out because I had a flood of flash backs....I couldn't sleep for days. Finally I went to talk to someone and came to the conclusion that hurting myself would not make the nightmare of what had happened go away.

I was admitted into the hospital for 4 weeks and tried to find my peace. I can get through everything ok now...but like I said, I avoid him when he comes into town. I'm lucky though....he lives in Mexico and is getting to old to travel.

At the end my mom apoligized for what had happened and I found out that I was not his only victim.....there were more. So that was our family secret. What I did do was I told everyone one of my cousins what had happened and they could use the information as they saw fit. I [i]think[/i] that I was the only one on our family or at least the only one that had the self power to say out loud what I went through at the age of 10.

Say your pray when you have these dreams and know that God is with oyu when you are in need of peace...you are not alone [b]he[/b] is there with you.[/quote]

Thanks. That sounds a bit like my situation. Only I don't have anyone (though at one point I had really good friend who helped probably more than he will ever know- and it's a kind of sucky thing (the whole me/him story. lol) But, I didn't tell anyone till college, either. (my sister told my mother, though... I wasn't the only victim, either) This semester I took ethics, it was partly focused on JPII "Love and Responsibilty. I blocked out half of the class with the "I'm not here" mechanism. I'd never used that before- didn't even know I knew how to that. It was very weird.

Mine lives about 15 minutes away from me.

This is the sum of that class. My philosophy professor is my advisor. Somehow, I wound up telling him what was going on (cuz he said something about suicide in class, and I gave him a look or something. He noticed something was wrong.)

Edited by missionseeker

CatherineM

I'm doing CBT therapy right now for PTSD for the nightmares and flashbacks. I'm not sure yet if it is going to help long term or not.